does anyone supplement there momma cows?

Cattle problems.
bball
GURU
GURU

Re: does anyone supplement there momma cows?

Postby bball » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:12 am

jedstivers wrote:
bball wrote:
jedstivers wrote:

Jed, I have never heard this before that whole is better for calves then cracked. Do you know why this is? I would love to get away from grinding my corn.

Lot of studies and papers on it.
The nutritionist I and my neighbor use tell us it's better, doesn't cause some of the problems feed lots have.
Now remember I'm talking about calves and not cows. My cows on pasture aren't getting therse amounts. I'm just giving them a little to help along.
8wt calves are getting 8lbs of corn and 4lbs ddg and free choice hay. They have some grazing till its depleted.
The calves I ran this summer that I just sold never ran out of grazing and never had hay but in winter I'm stocking such numbers grazing doesn't last long.

Thanks for getting back with an answer. I been grinding my corn and feeding the cows and calves..so grind it for cows( which I supplement sparingly ) and leave whole for the calves. I will try to dig up some more info too.. thanks for sharing the info..learn something all the time on here.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:31 am

bball wrote:
jedstivers wrote:
bball wrote:
Jed, I have never heard this before that whole is better for calves then cracked. Do you know why this is? I would love to get away from grinding my corn.

Lot of studies and papers on it.
The nutritionist I and my neighbor use tell us it's better, doesn't cause some of the problems feed lots have.
Now remember I'm talking about calves and not cows. My cows on pasture aren't getting therse amounts. I'm just giving them a little to help along.
8wt calves are getting 8lbs of corn and 4lbs ddg and free choice hay. They have some grazing till its depleted.
The calves I ran this summer that I just sold never ran out of grazing and never had hay but in winter I'm stocking such numbers grazing doesn't last long.

Thanks for getting back with an answer. I been grinding my corn and feeding the cows and calves..so grind it for cows( which I supplement sparingly ) and leave whole for the calves. I will try to dig up some more info too.. thanks for sharing the info..learn something all the time on here.

Yep. Or even just crack for cows.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:17 pm

Personally, I think it's a waste to crack/grind corn. Plus I have no way to crack/grind. I can get bin run corn at or slightly above market price. I go buying the processed stuff, and the price goes up sharply.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:42 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Grass and mineral only here.
If I have to prop up the cow on my grass and hay I need a better cow.

Whats all that cottonseed meal for ? Organic gardening :D
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:08 pm

callmefence wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Grass and mineral only here.
If I have to prop up the cow on my grass and hay I need a better cow.

Whats all that cottonseed meal for ? Organic gardening :D

No for sorry hay in the winter
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Waterway65
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Waterway65 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:07 pm

My .02. You know your cows much better than any of us can. You know the body condition they need to milk or breed back best to suit you and your situation.
I worked for a vet once preg checking for a big sale. I never realized the difference in management you can see from owner to owner! It made a real impression on me and the kind of manager I wanted to be.
Economics are important but the cattle condition is equally important to.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:20 pm

Every day. In the Spring/Summer they only get enough for us to look them over, make sure everything's okay. Half the cows don't eat the cubes anyway but it's a great way to get the calves started without having to deal with creep feeding and by the time we wean they're all on cubes, makes the transition a lot easier. 20% protein range nuggets, 30% protein tubs always available, mineral with CTC and IGR.
0 x

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:39 pm

yea my cows are on pasture but its been real dry so i had to start feeding some hay, my hay aint nothing special but its not junk i try and get 3 cuttings so it doesnt get overmature. and i always have out loose mineral but like yall have been saying if cows dont need bag feed i dang sure dont wanna give it to them!
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:26 pm

I feed my cows each day in the winter, somewhere around 2-3 lbs of a bulk mix of cracked corn, corn gluten, soy hull pellets, and ddg along with average quality hay. In the summer, I feed them a similar amount once or twice a week. I think it helps to keep them easier to handle and to check on. The calves also learn to eat grain from the troughs with the cows, which makes their weaning transition easier on them as they are used to eating feed at that point.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:39 am

Mine have loose salt and loose mineral year round, and I keep the protein syrup out when I'm feeding hay in winter to supplement my hay, which is average quality at best. Other than that they get sack feed in the pen occasionally just so I can catch them when I need to; maybe once a month.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:05 am

I only supplement if the nutricion is not kepping them supplied with milk. This year even with low rain they are still fine and breeding back.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:07 pm

The "finer" the corn is ground, the easier it is for them to get acidosis. (If I remember correctly from my husband who was a nutritionist at one time).
I have not seen recent research, but it was always said that "cracked corn" was 8% more efficient than wsc, but if it cost more than 8%, you were $$$ ahead to feed wsc.
I have ALWAYS fed wsc to my show string & my weaned calves. Calves actually eat it better than ground corn.
Generally, cows do not get grain here. There are always the exceptions - like c/c pairs going into a sale. I don't need to feed a bucket now & then to teach them to come. All the heifers were raised on wsc from weaning to first breeding - so, trust me - they REMEMBER what a bucket is!!! LOL
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:15 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:The "finer" the corn is ground, the easier it is for them to get acidosis. (If I remember correctly from my husband who was a nutritionist at one time).
I have not seen recent research, but it was always said that "cracked corn" was 8% more efficient than wsc, but if it cost more than 8%, you were $$$ ahead to feed wsc.
I have ALWAYS fed wsc to my show string & my weaned calves. Calves actually eat it better than ground corn.
Generally, cows do not get grain here. There are always the exceptions - like c/c pairs going into a sale. I don't need to feed a bucket now & then to teach them to come. All the heifers were raised on wsc from weaning to first breeding - so, trust me - they REMEMBER what a bucket is!!! LOL

Acidosis, I couldn't remember the word. Thanks.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”