What is the small, swollen, lump on the calf's knee?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cdever

Reaction score
I noticed the calf limping a bit last night, this morning she had a bit of trouble standing (a VERY tiny bit of trouble). Felt her legs for heat and swelling, noticed a fluid filled lump, quarter sized, on the left knee. The skin seems a flaky at the site, it's very painful, she wouldn't let me touch it. What could this be?

I'm concerned about "joint I'll". The navel area has caused enough concern The last few days that I've been keeping a close eye on it. The cord was dried and clean until it fell off. Then, I've noticed a bit of crusty hair around the navel, I've been cleaning it and packing it with bag balm to keep the bugs out. But I've read about navel I'll/ joint ill and now am concerned about that. What should I be looking for as symptoms of that?

A small swelling in the knee would make me think joint ill. All joint ill I've seen the whole knee was swollen and geenrally they don;t want to put any weight on that leg.

That's what I'm thinking, however the lump appears to be directly under the skin, and outside the joint- if that makes sense. It's a distinct bump, and not the entire joint. The vet is coming this afternoon to take a look, so I will update this evening.

Latest posts