The Victor Domino Line

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: The Victor Domino Line

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:47 am

Dogs and Cows wrote:That is a fine looking bull TT!!!

Tim

Thank you,

He gets lots of complements Tim. I can't take credit for doing anything other than shots, mineral, and good grass.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:00 pm

mrvictordomino wrote:
cow pollinater wrote:
mrvictordomino wrote:Interesting....Folks who study the numbers always find the MCE. There were a couple of bulls in this bloodline back in the eighties that had terrible maternal calving ease numbers. This EPD trait must not be very accurate if for over thirty years of one of the easiest calving herd of cattle cannot make a significant change in these numbers. Since working publicly for over thirty-eight years, and having a cow herd calving on their own with no extra help in calving 30-40 two year old heifers per year, I can assure you that I need problem free cattle first and foremost. Haven't had anyone to be able to explain this to me. One of the qualities of this herd is the calving ease trait.

Not to be arguementative, but you're calving registered heifers, right? My results WILL vary since I'm looking at at least 4% increase in birth weight from heterosis and sometimes as much as 15%. If I bought one of your bulls as a commercial cowman I'd be the one to spot the problem before you would.
Overall they're very good cattle but that's a sticking point for me.

I agree with what you are saying, but the actual results from bull customers (High percentage commercial on different breeds) over the last couple decades show them to be problem free in this area. I cannot explain these values and what it would take change them. No one at the association has been of any help either.

I see what you're saying. I wasn't thinking about the line bred aspect of it. That is hard to change in that setting without adding in something different OR getting your genetics into lots of other registered herds. I tend to think of EPD's in the bigger breeds such as angus or hereford as more accurate because of the genetic base being so large but when you're only using a fraction of it it really limits you to averaging the same genetics you started with. Have you done much with DNA? I would think that might help put people at ease when they stick on MCE like I did.
FWIW, I've been messing with Limousin EPD's and am ready to through them out the window and go by actuals and DNA.
0 x

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Backbone Ranch » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:10 pm

Great looking set of young bulls and heifers. You have some of the nicest Herefords that I have seen on here.
1 x
Backbone Ranch- Murray Greys
http://www.backboneranch.com/

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:22 pm

mrvictordomino wrote:Heifer mates to the bulls. 10 1/2 - 12 months old.

that's some pretty girls
1 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:43 am

Backbone Ranch wrote:Great looking set of young bulls and heifers. You have some of the nicest Herefords that I have seen on here.

Agreed!
1 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

mrvictordomino
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby mrvictordomino » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:37 pm

Calving season well underway here in KY!!

1 x
www.jmsvictordomino.com

Return to “Breeds Board”