Portable grain bins

The place to start if you are new!
NonTypicalCPA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Portable grain bins

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:34 pm

Is anyone using these small portable grain bins? The little feed that I give my Belties has been bagged feed and its way more money than buying bulk. I'm considering buying a small 150-200 bushel grain bin but would need to pay for delivery. The other option is to get one that is towable like in the link below. I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on these two options. I'm looking into the cost of delivery, right now that is an unknown. I want something weather and rodent proof.

https://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/grd/d/ ... 62576.html
0 x

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Portable grain bins

Postby Till-Hill » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:42 pm

I have a 40 bushel Kory hopper on wheels with a lid. I also bought just the hopper and stuck in the barn to some extra. Pastures spread out 20 miles and weather/rodent proof and buying feed in bulk vs the extra $60/ton bagging charge down here I think in 1 years time I paid for mine.

Mine with wheels was $1575, without wheels farm fleet discontinued selling Kory equipment and I got that for $400!
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:46 pm

You should get a price break at 3 tons so I would want one that will hold at least 3 tons or coarse feed. You'll probably be carrying feed in buckets so I wouldn't bother with the portable unless you have some other reason.
0 x
Grab the bull by the horns.....then what are you supposed to do?

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:03 pm

We have 2. We use the 6500 for cubes and generally the 3000 for deer corn. But we also have 2 different local Coops with multiple locations so it's not a big deal to load them.
http://lhmfg.com/totes/
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”