Dumbest mistake youve made

The place to start if you are new!
MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Dumbest mistake youve made

Postby MtnCows93 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:53 pm

Not selling my heard in 2014 and buying back in 2016, anybody got a time machine i can borrow?
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:04 pm

MtnCows93 wrote:Not selling my heard in 2014 and buying back in 2016, anybody got a time machine i can borrow?
that's where a crystal ball would come in handy,folks close to me tried to get me to sell then too.. But i was afraid I might enjoy not having them around..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:40 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:Also as a young person in this business there were times I should have walked away from purchases that I didn't. Looking back they are extremely frustrating because I knew better but caved to outside influence. Luckily none of them were to costly, just frustrating.

I have pages of dumb stuff involving women, alcohol, fire, strippers, things with motors and guns but I didn't think that is what this thread was really about.

Brute it took a long time but I've learned that when tempted to buy something I really can do without, if I'll put it off a few hours or until the next day I'll usually not buy it.

That is very good advice.

I was looking for about 30 head of cattle this past spring. I had been watching and decided to call one of the popular FB personalities always advertising cattle. I went to George West to look at the cattle with his partner. We went to look at the cattle and they were all scattered out in the brush. I could only look at about half of them. The guy was very nice and admitted that was not a good way to buy cattle. He said that he would gather them up in a week or two in the pens to palpate them and I could come, look the cattle over, see how they work and decide then. I told him that sounded very fair. I told him if they all looked like the 15 I did see and palpated good I would take them. We even went and ate lunch after and just shot the breeze.

The next morning the FB personality calls me around 730 and starts asking if I liked the cattle. I told him I did not get to see them all but I liked the few I did see. He asked me if I wanted them. I told him the deal I had made with his partner. He told me... naw I'm not messing with any tire kickers. I told him I'm not a tire kicker... I have a check in front of me ready to go but I am not going to buy cattle sight un seen. He argued back they all look the same. I said good then there should not be a problem when yall pen them. He got be nice off and said I had to decide right now... I told him no I don't and started laughing at him. He hung up on me.

I have made sure to tell every one I come across how he operates. That is not how you should do business. You should never buy from some one who puts that kind of pressure on you. It has made a great sales pitch to people why they should buy cattle from me and not those guys on FB. :lol2:
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:48 pm

yea when someone is short with you trying to change up a deal you already agreed on to see the rest and palpate just walk away
0 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:07 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:Also as a young person in this business there were times I should have walked away from purchases that I didn't. Looking back they are extremely frustrating because I knew better but caved to outside influence. Luckily none of them were to costly, just frustrating.

I have pages of dumb stuff involving women, alcohol, fire, strippers, things with motors and guns but I didn't think that is what this thread was really about.

Brute it took a long time but I've learned that when tempted to buy something I really can do without, if I'll put it off a few hours or until the next day I'll usually not buy it.

I was looking for about 30 head of cattle this past spring. I had been watching and decided to call one of the popular FB personalities always advertising cattle. I went to George West to look at the cattle with his partner. We went to look at the cattle and they were all scattered out in the brush. I could only look at about half of them. The guy was very nice and admitted that was not a good way to buy cattle. He said that he would gather them up in a week or two in the pens to palpate them and I could come, look the cattle over, see how they work and decide then. I told him that sounded very fair. I told him if they all looked like the 15 I did see and palpated good I would take them. We even went and ate lunch after and just shot the breeze.

The next morning the FB personality calls me around 730 and starts asking if I liked the cattle. I told him I did not get to see them all but I liked the few I did see. He asked me if I wanted them. I told him the deal I had made with his partner. He told me... naw I'm not messing with any tire kickers. I told him I'm not a tire kicker... I have a check in front of me ready to go but I am not going to buy cattle sight un seen. He argued back they all look the same. I said good then there should not be a problem when yall pen them. He got be nice off and said I had to decide right now... I told him no I don't and started laughing at him. He hung up on me.

I have made sure to tell every one I come across how he operates. That is not how you should do business. You should never buy from some one who puts that kind of pressure on you. It has made a great sales pitch to people why they should buy cattle from me and not those guys on FB. :lol2:

$20 I know who you're talking about and I bet we live a minimum 200 miles apart. Initials C.N.?
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:17 pm

Dave wrote:Drove home with a full load of cows with the trailer door just latched with the slam latch. Didn't pop open but a person sure shouldn't do that.
I have a B&W roll over hitch. One time I forgot to lock it in. I loaded the tractor on the trailer. The front of the trailer seemed to raise up as I walked the tractor on. Well it lifted clear up on the safety chains. The ball was hanging off the hitch in the air. A little scary for a minute or two.

I knew I had more dumbass moments.

Borrowed a 24K trailer to haul a D3 cat here.. flip down the ramps, Cat owner drives it on, back of my truck comes up about 4 feet in the air.. Guess I should have put down the rear supports!.. Good thing the ground was level or things may have started rolling off.
2 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:57 pm

5S Cattle wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Brute it took a long time but I've learned that when tempted to buy something I really can do without, if I'll put it off a few hours or until the next day I'll usually not buy it.

$20 I know who you're talking about and I bet we live a minimum 200 miles apart. Initials C.N.?

Yes sir. The blatantly worse person I have ever dealt with in the cattle business. His partner and the money man was very nice and fair. I will go to him direct next time and leave the cattle peddler out of it.
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:16 am

I'm guessing its Clay
1 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:36 am

MtnCows93 wrote:Not selling my heard in 2014 and buying back in 2016, anybody got a time machine i can borrow?

I hear people say that all the time, but the 2 calf crops you sold during that time should have made you happy.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Postby greatgerts » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:41 am

TexasBred wrote:I'm amazed how many farm trucks I see with missing or badly damaged tail gates. Dang it's hard to let that tail gate down before backing up to or pulling away from a gooseneck trailer. And yes before you ask I have done it myself. :nod:

Dad has done that a time or 2. Mine with the trailer was not unplugging it... Got out from under it and looked back to make sure it all cleared, and saw the wire taught. Was enough that it pulled everything from the plug.

I've got enough other dumb be nice that I've done, I just can't figure which has been the dumbest yet.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:13 am

I did the tailgate deal one time but with a bumper pull. I was driving up the ramps and it came off the hitch. The trailer jumped up and popped the tailgate right below the handle. I had no choice but the back down so it put a nice gouge down to the bumper.

The funny thing is it made a distinct mark. Now that I look for it there are quite a few tailgates on the road with the same mark.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:16 am

Bigfoot wrote:

I hear people say that all the time, but the 2 calf crops you sold during that time should have made you happy.

The dummies are the one's that retained heifers in 2012 - 2014.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:38 am

Bought cattle !
0 x

5S Cattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 5S Cattle » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:21 am

Brute 23 wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

Yes sir. The blatantly worse person I have ever dealt with in the cattle business. His partner and the money man was very nice and fair. I will go to him direct next time and leave the cattle peddler out of it.

Ya, i tried to look at some stuff he had listed last year. Tried twice and he was an ace hole both times. Now he is wanting to list some heifers I have for sale haha. Not getting that phone call hoss!
1 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:09 am

90% of the stuff he sells is junk but there are some good ones hear and there but it's not worth dealing with him.

There is a group I called about that is still for sale. I couldn't get him to call me back. That was 6 mo ago.

I've seen people call him out on how he does business and he plays that single dad card quick. One guy told him... that's even more reason to be professional, your family is depending on you. He deleted that quick.

If he burned 2 deals with me this year alone... can you imagine how many deals he loses out on annually? :shock:
Last edited by Brute 23 on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”