Rain scald

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmerclark

Reaction score
This summer our best bull ( it's always the best one who gets hurt), had to be pulled from the herd, and so searching for a replacement, we called a farmer , who had a two year old angus bull, not wanting to take the time to go look at it, we just said, we would buy it, and he agreed to deliver him,
When they turned him in with our cows, we noticed that he had these white spots on his sides,
Never have we seen anything like this, so called him back, he said it was fly bites, but would check into it,
Tonight he called back and said the vet thought it might be rain scald... is this something that we need to be alarmed about?
He ( the bull) is doing what we bought him for, but are concerned we might be infecting our herd with this problem... has anyone seen this before, is it contagious, ...?
Sure would appreciate any help on this. Thanks , Farmerclark

If it's the type of rain scald a horse gets, then I've seen my fair share. It's an anaroebic type deal. Hard to treat. Personally never seen it, when the days are this long. Only thing I've seen phase it is captan. Unless it appeared to be causing the bull discomfort, I'd legit run its course. Not really an option on a horse though.

Not contagious to my knowledge. Seems they are predisposed to get it, or not.

We never used to do anything and it went away on it's own. Now from what I've been able to gather, 1 does of LA supposedly works. I haven;t seen it in 50 years so I guess modern medicine might have the better solution

My experience with it mostly in horses it usually affects the topline and where water runs off like down the flanks and girth. It is a dermatophilus sp infection which is common on the skin but gets going when the conditions suit it. It is the same organism that will usually cause greasy heal. To me it has never been too big a deal, they look cruddy initially as the hair mats together but that soon peels off leaving bare skin which quickly grows new hair and they usually end up with the nicest newest shiny coat.

I think you have to decide if the vets "could be" diagnosis sight unseen is correct. The description of white spots on his side is not a lot to go on.

Ken