Problem with new bull

Cattle problems.
Maxx
Beginner
Beginner

Problem with new bull

Postby Maxx » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:46 pm

I just purchased a young Angus Bull. He weighs 870 lbs, not sure of his age. He is in very good shape, excellent disposition. I was out watching him and noticed a problem. When he pooped it was red tinted, clear watery, a little muccus. No green tint at all and they are on green grass. No signs of anything else. Any thoughts or input will be appreciated.
0 x

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Problem with new bull

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:30 pm

Maxx wrote:I just purchased a young Angus Bull. He weighs 870 lbs, not sure of his age. He is in very good shape, excellent disposition. I was out watching him and noticed a problem. When he pooped it was red tinted, clear watery, a little muccus. No green tint at all and they are on green grass. No signs of anything else. Any thoughts or input will be appreciated.

Maxx, are you saying this is a bull for breeding purposes? If so, 870 lbs. seems awful light to be both in good shape and ready to breed. Do you know what his diet was before he came there? If he was on real dry stuff and you put him on super green grass, his insides might be upset from the diet change but all of us are going to be totally speculating without pictures and more info. Good luck.
0 x

Maxx
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Maxx » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:54 pm

I believe he is a little young for breeding yet. I was referring to his good condition that he is not sickly or in poor shape. And I am not sure of his previous feed sources.
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:42 am

Is he up in corral etc.? If so, and you have him drinking out of a water tank get you some liquid Corid and put that in his water. Another option is to buy Corid in pellet form and mix it in his feed. B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:55 am

At 870, he is at least 8 to 9 months old. Might be a coccidia infection but if he is in good condition, by that age they should have reached immunity levels that would protect them on open pasture. Maybe he is stressed from relocation. If you saw only one episode, I would watch to see a recurrence before treatment.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”