If you run over a dog???

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I ran over a house dog today in the middle of town, I was pulling my cow trailer the streets were busy, I didn't go back. I felt like a heel, but there wasn't much I could do plus he darted out in front of me. My next stop was the bank, and me and the tellers had a long discussion about it. They all said I should have went back. I can't breath the breath of life, and have no idea of who's it was. What would you have done?

Bigfoot":3v8h84z0 said:
I ran over a house dog today in the middle of town, I was pulling my cow trailer the streets were busy, I didn't go back. I felt like a heel, but there wasn't much I could do plus he darted out in front of me. My next stop was the bank, and me and the tellers had a long discussion about it. They all said I should have went back. I can't breath the breath of life, and have no idea of who's it was. What would you have done?
I've done both,,ran over a house dog up the street couple months ago, went back and told them and apologized.."""""you know just like it was my fault""""little idiot walked right out in front of my truck.. Just winged him thankfully .but don't think they care for me much anymore..I hate it,,but next time ill just keep rolling on..but as far as those tellers go,you didnt expect them to say any thing different did you...

ALACOWMAN":3isi5199 said:
Bigfoot":3isi5199 said:
I've done both,,ran over a house dog up the street couple months ago, went back and told them and apologized.."""""you know just like it was my fault""""little idiot walked right out in front of my truck.. Just winged him thankfully .but don't think they care for me much anymore..I hate it,,but next time ill just keep rolling on..but as far as those tellers go,you didnt expect them to say any thing different did you...
Most tellers have soft hands and kind hearts.

You stop and do your best to find the owner. If the dog is still alive, you either put it down or haul it to the vet. A dog shouldn't be in the road, but we've all had one do it. Our last dog that got hit right in front of the house, the jack wagons didn't even stop. My mother in law just happened to pull in and see the dog laying in the road still barely alive, so as I loaded the dog up and headed for town, I had Dad park the semi cross ways in the road and go home. (Dead end, and they were still north of the house) Several hours later after my little girls dog had died, I made believers out of the two that decided not stopping was the best plan of action. Was it their fault the dog was in the road? Absolutely not, but the right thing to do (at least in front of the only house on the road.....maybe not in your town dog situation) would have been to stop and let us know.

Tough situation with no good answer. I would say that since you were going through town with a trailer it would have been hard to stopped off and harder to find the owner of the dog. More than likely it could have been a fiasco, as some folks can be pretty worked up over their dogs. I think probably everyone has or will hit one at some point. Over the years, several of our dogs have been hit and/or killed, we live close to a state highway, no one ever stopped to tell us. I try to keep our dogs safe but they do get loose sometimes. Border collie turns into Houdini if he thinks it's going to storm. I have almost ran out the road a few times trying to miss dogs, dreaded going down some roads cause knew some dogs were always loose and would run at vehicles.

Hooked to my cow trailer, kinda made it an extenuating circumstance. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gone back, even in a passenger vehicle. I do feel terrible about it though. The little dog, appeared to have some age on it,I'm sure he was loved quit well by all.

Busy road, I wouldn't stop. Especially pulling a trailer. Putting yourself in the way could cause a wreck. No traffic and a rural road , then I may. If people let their dogs roam busy roads, then it's their loss. I don't swerve for dogs either. I'll slow down or even stop but I will not get out of my lane. A cousin was hit head on by a guy trying to avoid a dog. Been a few years back. Killed other driver instantly and crushed my cousins ankle to pieces. He couldn't walk for months. He has 2 sons with Multiple sclerosis that he takes care of. They are paralyzed. The accident put him and his family in a bad way, over a stupid dog.

Bigfoot":239nk88v said:
Depends on situation and location.
From the way you describe it I think you did the correct thing.
In town, traffic, pulling a trailer. Going back may have just created a worse situation. What could you have done if you had gone back?
Not good the dog got hit but it is not your responsibility. You can't take blame for a dog running out in front of you.

Stupid dogs in road. I don't swerve either. If somebody Is behind me I dont even slow down. I refuse to kill another person or myself over a blame dog. If you were to go back and own up then whose to say you won't be in court over a $10000 vet bill.

Last week, we were driving to church, and passed what looked like a dead ground hog in the other lane in front of our SIL house. Busy road, the kids and I just kind of went "ahh, poor groundhog" and kept on.
After church, several hours later, we were driving home. Ahead, we see the groundhog in the same spot, but now his legs were all wiggling in the air (he was on his back). Looked like he was having a seizure almost. Our driveway is over a little hill, and as we pull in the kids tell me I need to go get the gun or shovel and put him out of his misery. We were very sad that he had suffered all those hours. We get a shovel (did not want to be on the road with a gun), and head back to the location. Darn thing was GONE! GONE??? Maybe he was just wounded, layed there for several hours, got his sense about him, and got out of there.
My point is, he was NOT dead. Mind you, he was just a ground hog, but the thought of him laying there, alive, as cars passed him.... not pleasant.

I was driving into town one day and saw a young boy cradling what appeared to be a young lab puppy on the side of the highway; clearly it was either badly injured or dead. Broke my heart, thought about it all day. My initial reaction was to cast blame on the owner of the dog (actually his parents) for not keeping it secured but who am I to judge? I don't know the circumstances of that particular situation.

I don't know what I would have done in your situation. I clipped a dog on my way to work one morning, it was still dark but I did see it run into a yard towards a house so I didn't stop. That was 28 years ago and I can still vividly hear the yelp.

Farm Fence Solutions":3gx3mrmn said:
You stop and do your best to find the owner. If the dog is still alive, you either put it down or haul it to the vet. A dog shouldn't be in the road, but we've all had one do it. Our last dog that got hit right in front of the house, the jack wagons didn't even stop. My mother in law just happened to pull in and see the dog laying in the road still barely alive, so as I loaded the dog up and headed for town, I had Dad park the semi cross ways in the road and go home. (Dead end, and they were still north of the house) Several hours later after my little girls dog had died, I made believers out of the two that decided not stopping was the best plan of action. Was it their fault the dog was in the road? Absolutely not, but the right thing to do (at least in front of the only house on the road.....maybe not in your town dog situation) would have been to stop and let us know.
Good answer.

Been driving for 45 years and never ran a dog over yet, and haven't had a dog run over yet. I have no intention of stopping if I ever do hit a dog in the highway, I see no good reason, just a few bad possibilities.
The best thing to do is keep your dog on your own property and no one has any problems.

I had a dog run out in front of me a couple years ago. It was at a house close to work. He darted out in front of me. I could not stop so I called the Sheriff's office and told them what happened, that the dog was injured, if they could send some one. They said they would take care of it.

Brute 23":3trbf0wi said:
I had a dog run out in front of me a couple years ago. It was at a house close to work. He darted out in front of me. I could not stop so I called the Sheriff's office and told them what happened, that the dog was injured, if they could send some one. They said they would take care of it.

That was a good idea no chance of running into a crazy owner.

My sister-in-law hit a dog that came out of a driveway trying to bite at the car tires, she was going maybe 20 mph.
Killed the dog and the dog damaged the front fender to the tune of $400.

She was so dumb... she went up to the house, apologized, gave the owner $100 and paid for her own car repair.
They should have been the ones apologizing and paying for failure in the care, custody and control of their dog.

I lived on a gravel road. Almost every dog I had got ran over, or stole if they were a good beagle. I always appreciated when they stopped, but odds are it was a neighbor.

I'd stop if I hit one.

Hitting a dog on a bike can be bad news to the rider.

I don't let my dogs run loose now, and thinking back we never thought of penning our dogs. Everyone had dogs that ran loose, but we were pretty spread out. Sometimes dogs just disappeared.

I think people get too attached to their dogs now. People act like it is their kid. Seems like misplaced affection to me to treat a dog like a kid, irrational even.

Latest posts