Gonna have an "oops" baby.

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Gonna have an "oops" baby.

Postby TCRanch » Wed May 09, 2018 7:44 am

Thanks for the encouragement! She scored 156.25 on her pelvic measurement at 11 months and probably weighs 900 lbs. so I'm hopeful she'll be okay. There's not a lot of grass in the barnyard but I'm limiting her protein, supplementing with only prairie hay. But I'll be watching her like a hawk, ready to assist and/or call the vet. She comes from a great lineage. I'm keeping her at the barn with an older cow so she'll have a buddy/support.
0 x

Cibster
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Cibster » Thu May 10, 2018 11:28 am

I just had a heifer calve at 15 1/2 months this weekend. I was setting up heifers with a one shot estrumate plan and this one didn't respond to the first shot, so I hit her with another shot 10 days later and she didn't respond again. Then I noticed she was starting to get a little bag so I palpated her and bam...there was some feet and a head right there. She calved about 10 days after I palpated her. Had to pull it. Was a small calf but alive. Couldn't stand up for 2 days so I milked the heifer and tubed the calf till it would take a bottle. On the third day I could get it to stand wobbly and put it next to the heifer and it latched on and started nursing. Both are doing good now! Now as long as she breeds back in a timely fashion we can call it a "successful oops" lol. But certainly one I don't want/need to do again anytime soon.
2 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu May 10, 2018 8:19 pm

Since pulling bulls out is sometimes rather hard, I find it easier to pull the cows that have replacement candidate heifers out.. I try and do it when they're 5 months, but sometimes will go to 6.. One year I had 3 calves come into heat at 180 days.. one was with the bull, she got shipped, other two were away from him though.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue May 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Looking the girls over the other day I noticed another "oops" baby on the way. :(
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue May 15, 2018 6:05 pm

Silver wrote:Looking the girls over the other day I noticed another "oops" baby on the way. :(

Oh, dang! You've had quite a calving season. My little girl is definitely bagging, little mucus but not quite ready.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue May 15, 2018 6:27 pm

BTW, I live in a relatively small community where news travels fast but it NEVER occurred to me that the gossip mongers would somehow manage to twist my "oops baby" into a personal event. Lawwwwd have mercy! That awkward moment when someone stares at my non-existent "bump" with a raised eyebrow while calculating my age + the odds. Insert rolling eyes, hiding under the chair. Don't think there's an emoji on this forum for an inappropriate hand gesture but I'm kind of there.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Tue May 15, 2018 6:58 pm

TCRanch wrote:BTW, I live in a relatively small community where news travels fast but it NEVER occurred to me that the gossip mongers would somehow manage to twist my "oops baby" into a personal event. Lawwwwd have mercy! That awkward moment when someone stares at my non-existent "bump" with a raised eyebrow while calculating my age + the odds. Insert rolling eyes, hiding under the chair. Don't think there's an emoji on this forum for an inappropriate hand gesture but I'm kind of there.

I'm sorry, but I do find that a bit amusing. (insert a giggling emoticon followed by the hiding under the chair)

Small towns......ain't they great?!
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue May 15, 2018 8:18 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
TCRanch wrote:BTW, I live in a relatively small community where news travels fast but it NEVER occurred to me that the gossip mongers would somehow manage to twist my "oops baby" into a personal event. Lawwwwd have mercy! That awkward moment when someone stares at my non-existent "bump" with a raised eyebrow while calculating my age + the odds. Insert rolling eyes, hiding under the chair. Don't think there's an emoji on this forum for an inappropriate hand gesture but I'm kind of there.

I'm sorry, but I do find that a bit amusing. (insert a giggling emoticon followed by the hiding under the chair)

Small towns......ain't they great?!

It is funny (dignity is overrated) but reeeeally?:)
0 x

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:05 pm

how much lute are you supposed to give? cant a overdose kill the heifer? i had a 13month old heifer bagging up and i said heck with it and just sold her. i dont understand how thats possible because she probly weighed less than 250 pounds when she got bred and the biggest bull calf in the pasture was probly 200 so it must have been my 3 year old bull
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:43 am

I suppose they think hubby's back surgery must have been a bit of a success and he has been getting a bit friskie.

Ken
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu May 17, 2018 6:53 am

wbvs58 wrote:

I suppose they think hubby's back surgery must have been a bit of a success and he has been getting a bit friskie.

Ken

I just snorted some coffee! LOL!
2 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu May 17, 2018 7:34 pm

MtnCows93 wrote:how much lute are you supposed to give? cant a overdose kill the heifer? i had a 13month old heifer bagging up and i said heck with it and just sold her. i dont understand how thats possible because she probly weighed less than 250 pounds when she got bred and the biggest bull calf in the pasture was probly 200 so it must have been my 3 year old bull

By the time they are showing an udder, it is too late to Lute. It can kill them, or at very least, mess up their systems and they usually won't breed back if they do manage to slip it. Giving Lute at a later stage, may very well not cause them to abort, and if they do, they do not dilate right, their system isn't ready to "calve" and it is worse than to let them go full term. My vet is adamant about not aborting when over 5-6 months.
Are you sure she didn't just have a fatty udder? I had some 1/4 dairy 3/4 beef heifers that were on some silage and they got some fatty udders over the winter. I had had them preg checked when we bangs vacc because I was a little concerned... but I have seen them in heat since. But they got a bit too fat. I am glad they are out on pasture now, they ought to get rid of some of the fat and just grow. Some heifer calves do just get fattier udders than others if they are fed good.
0 x

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:28 pm

yea i figured you had to use lute early, im pretty sure cause she looked really wide too but she was 1/4 jersey 1/4 char and 1/2 angus, weighed 580 when i sold her so im sure i would have had problems
0 x

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Katpau » Fri May 18, 2018 5:19 pm

Progesterone is a steroid hormone produce by the corpus Luteum (CL). It is necessary to help maintain a pregnancy. A shot of Prostaglandin, such as Lutalayse, provides a hormone that will cause the CL to regress which will usually (but not always) end a short term pregnancy. At about 120 days gestation progesterone is produced by the placenta and therefore destroying the CL with a shot of Prostagladin will usually not terminate a pregnancy.

We had one get pregnant at only 4 months of age. Calved the day she turned 13 months. Yours is almost 18 months so she was close to 9 months when bred. I think you have a really good chance of a positive outcome. Let us know how it turns out.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri May 18, 2018 6:26 pm

Gave her the Lute at 7 weeks/49 days so I must have one fertile little girl. She's starting to spring so I'm guessing any day.

Katpau, years ago we had one bred at 4 months and it didn't turn out well - glad yours did! Thanks for the encouragement! Hopefully I'll be posting pics of a bunky little calf pretty soon.
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”