My Fence Project

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: My Fence Project

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed May 16, 2018 3:20 pm

Murder money. Why did the tobacco companies have to pay, and the one's that supplied the tobacco didn't? And as far as government money goes, enlighten me on who pays for the Medicare and Medicaid bills because of tobacco products?
Nice looking fence no matter who paid for it.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Looks good
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed May 16, 2018 3:26 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Looks good

My little buddy does it right or not at all.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Banjo
GURU
GURU

Postby Banjo » Wed May 16, 2018 4:30 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Murder money. Why did the tobacco companies have to pay, and the one's that supplied the tobacco didn't? And as far as government money goes, enlighten me on who pays for the Medicare and Medicaid bills because of tobacco products?
Nice looking fence no matter who paid for it.

The buyout ended the years long quota system, govt support price, bases, etc. Incidentally, none of that cost the govt anything , it was all paid for by the farmers. The buyout paid the farmers for their base .....some had a little bit and some had a lot.
Tobacco goes back for generations....anybody in their right mind knows its not good for you in any form. Many factors come into play like smoking 5 cigarettes a day or 3 packs a day.
Many a farm in this country was paid for growing tobacco. Most tobacco farmers I know are good people...just trying to make a living.
What the tobacco companies do with it after they get it....well, that may be a whole other story....
1 x

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Wed May 16, 2018 8:31 pm

I got a 5 ton bin with electric auger and a concrete pad to set it on with last years.
0 x

fasttommy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fasttommy » Thu May 17, 2018 10:17 pm

Mr. BR,

The picture of the double brace. I have seen this before, where a fence is braced two directions on a mild angle, but the wire is then wrapped around the post without being tied off. Is the brace actually doing anything in that situation? If the wire was tied off yes, but just wrapped around like it is, seems like a moot point. I have also seen this on straight runs of fence, at pull braces. Maybe more of a question for the fence guys. Thanks.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri May 18, 2018 4:44 am

fasttommy wrote:Mr. BR,

The picture of the double brace. I have seen this before, where a fence is braced two directions on a mild angle, but the wire is then wrapped around the post without being tied off. Is the brace actually doing anything in that situation? If the wire was tied off yes, but just wrapped around like it is, seems like a moot point. I have also seen this on straight runs of fence, at pull braces. Maybe more of a question for the fence guys. Thanks.

my answer is it doent matter if the wire runs around the brace or is made off around the post. I do agree that when you have a turn off less than about 45 degrees a brace in line with the fence does not offer its full strength. in these situations I prefer a single pipe post with a diagonal to a deadman perpendicular to the fence. and simply pullaround it. line braces in a straight run are a waste off time and materials imo. the exception being on extremely long stretches. in this case it only servers as place to break the streatchs down into manageable size. for me this is usually about half a mile.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri May 18, 2018 4:48 am

callmefence wrote:

my answer is it doent matter if the wire runs around the brace or is made off around the post. its main purpose is to simply turn the fence. I do agree that when you have a turn of less than about 45 degrees a brace in line with the fence does not offer its full strength. in these situations I prefer a single pipe post with a diagonal to a deadman perpendicular to the fence. and simply pullaround it. line braces in a straight run are a waste off time and materials imo. the exception being on extremely long stretches. in this case it only servers as place to break the streatchs down into manageable size. for me this is usually about half a mile.
0 x

David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri May 18, 2018 5:46 am

0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri May 18, 2018 6:04 am

I defer to the fence guys. My comments are as follows:

First, I don't want a brace like the one FFS pictured. I mow along the fence lines and I would prefer not having that obstruction.

Second, there is added strength in the three brace posts versus line posts.

Third, I disagree that it is moot. There is still some redistribution of FORCES. In physics you represent forces with arrows. Refer to force diagram:

The sum of forces 1 prime and 1 duo is force 2 prime. Granted, force 2 prime is a perpendicular force that would seem to make the brace less efficient but that force is to some extent (not quantified) redistributed to the two lateral brace posts as shown by the primary forces 1 prime and 1 duo.

FN: Capital P is an 8 foot brace post.
1 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri May 18, 2018 6:39 am

Bright Raven wrote:

First, I don't want a brace like the one FFS pictured. I mow along the fence lines and I would prefer not having that obstruction.

Third, I disagree that it is moot. There is still some redistribution of FORCES. In physics you represent forces with arrows. Refer to force diagram:

The sum of forces 1 prime and 1 duo is force 2 prime. Granted, force 2 prime is a perpendicular force that would seem to make the brace less efficient but that force is to some extent (not quantified) redistributed to the two lateral brace posts as shown by the primary forces 1 prime and 1 duo.

like it or not..farms is done right
0 x

David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri May 18, 2018 6:42 am

callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

like it or not..farms is done right

Agree. It is a direct force to counteract the perpendicular force of 2 prime. Take that to the bank. But I don't want that. My Fence will outlast me. And I don't want that dam obstruction
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri May 18, 2018 6:53 am

Here are a couple shots with barb on top:
0 x

fasttommy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fasttommy » Fri May 18, 2018 9:34 pm

Good info and thanks for the opinions. It is a really good looking fence any way you swing it.
0 x

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Fri May 18, 2018 10:06 pm

In the 4th picture with the double brace, I assume they used it to pull to and just hard stapled to it? Since I don't see any tie offs.
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”