7 degrees of separation: The angus breed of the future?

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
hornedfrogbbq
Cowhand
Cowhand

7 degrees of separation: The angus breed of the future?

Postby hornedfrogbbq » Thu May 17, 2018 9:37 am

Is anyone concerned about the concentration in the angus breed around certain sires? I know there are alot of cattle out there but I am stunned with the concentration on about 20 bulls....and i'd bet 30-50% of the semen sold in the US is out of 10 bulls. Probably not but it sure feels too concentrated.

We are mindful of this and purposeful about spreading out to different lines. Anyone else trying to "outcross" the genetics from the popular stuff? We like a solid EPD profile as much as the next ranch but if we can identify a true "cow maker" type bull, since we retain heifers, we'll take him over some superhero numbered bull.

Thoughts?
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: 7 degrees of separation: The angus breed of the future?

Postby Son of Butch » Thu May 17, 2018 12:14 pm

Angus is far from having that problem compared to other breeds.
Besides in 40 years you'll probably be able to clone the steak off your plate for seconds. :)
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu May 17, 2018 1:38 pm

hornedfrogbbq wrote:Is anyone concerned about the concentration in the angus breed around certain sires? I know there are alot of cattle out there but I am stunned with the concentration on about 20 bulls....and i'd bet 30-50% of the semen sold in the US is out of 10 bulls.

Depends on what genetic defects they carry.
0 x
Stocker Steve

bse
GURU
GURU

Postby bse » Thu May 17, 2018 4:26 pm

you hit on it hornedfrog, everyone is playing numbers and not concentrating on making cows, theres lots of great bulls out there to produce females. Most producers cant use them because of numbers and selling bulls. people are brainwased into thinking numbers are the cure all, there the ruin all!!!!! I do think with the sexed industry now, if someone desires they can go back to producing mommas and still produce the desired bulls for the commercial guy. I have a cow with YW of 27 you think anyone would use a bull out of her, nope, but they miss out on a great cow just old breeding.
4 x

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Allenw » Fri May 18, 2018 8:18 am

Too many feed wagon dependent cattle being made today in pursuit of epd numbers.
1 x

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Fri May 18, 2018 2:31 pm

I have to remind myself everytime that I open a new semen catalogue that my overall goal with ai is replacement heifers. It's easy to get caught up in the big growth numbers but I rank a decent $E value, a good doc rating, and a moderate milk value just as high for my goals.
2 x

skeeter swatter
Rancher
Rancher

Postby skeeter swatter » Tue May 22, 2018 10:05 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
hornedfrogbbq wrote:Is anyone concerned about the concentration in the angus breed around certain sires? I know there are alot of cattle out there but I am stunned with the concentration on about 20 bulls....and i'd bet 30-50% of the semen sold in the US is out of 10 bulls.

Depends on what genetic defects they carry.

Too small of a gene pool will cause more.
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”