Pearl Millet

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Pearl Millet

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:11 pm

If I spray a few fields using round up to kill everything off how long should I wait before planting Pearl Millet ? I looked all over but no definitive answer.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Pearl Millet

Postby M-5 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:16 pm

round up should not effect seed as long as no residual is used with it. it only kills the plants it touches and by the time the seed germinates its long gone.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:29 pm

M-5 wrote:round up should not effect seed as long as no residual is used with it. it only kills the plants it touches and by the time the seed germinates its long gone.

Thanks I was planning on discing the field after the plants died then using conventional drill
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckyguy » Thu May 17, 2018 5:03 pm

Last year I sowed pearl millet 8 days after spraying with roundup. I sprayed everything and after it turned browned about 7 days later I disced the field up sowed and cultipacked the next day.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu May 17, 2018 5:59 pm

If you could plant without discing you will cut down on weeds coming back up.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby kentuckyguy » Thu May 17, 2018 9:14 pm

M-5 I’m still in the Stone Age of planting. I would love to have a no till drill but can’t justify the cost when all we plant is a couple acres of summer annuals and come back with wheat in the fall.

I’ve never really had trouble with weeds on the summer annuals. Usually the millet outgrows everything and chokes it out pretty quick.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu May 17, 2018 9:49 pm

I wouldn't spray Roundup to kill cow feed to plant more cow feed. I disc, do all and then drill my pearl millet and some years I have a good stand of volunteer crab grass in with the millet. I like anything that grows that a cow will eat.
2 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat May 19, 2018 1:22 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:I wouldn't spray Roundup to kill cow feed to plant more cow feed. I disc, do all and then drill my pearl millet and some years I have a good stand of volunteer crab grass in with the millet. I like anything that grows that a cow will eat.

I agree I stopped spraying pastures.. this is what I got.. this is why I want to spray then disc or I can use a drill and not disc. Opinions?

I have a good bit of voluntary oats In there

0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat May 19, 2018 3:12 pm

pearl millet is way too small of a seed to use with a conventional drill IMO.

kentuckyguy... anyone around you that rents no tills? try the seed guys.. I know southern states has a few they rent out and also I know a amish guy that I used to rent one from who was a seed salesman..

$10.00 / ac is what I paid.
0 x

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Sat May 19, 2018 9:53 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I wouldn't spray Roundup to kill cow feed to plant more cow feed. I disc, do all and then drill my pearl millet and some years I have a good stand of volunteer crab grass in with the millet. I like anything that grows that a cow will eat.

I agree I stopped spraying pastures.. this is what I got.. this is why I want to spray then disc or I can use a drill and not disc. Opinions?

I have a good bit of voluntary oats In there

I'd spray and no till
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat May 19, 2018 10:35 pm

ddd75 wrote:pearl millet is way too small of a seed to use with a conventional drill IMO.

kentuckyguy... anyone around you that rents no tills? try the seed guys.. I know southern states has a few they rent out and also I know a amish guy that I used to rent one from who was a seed salesman..

$10.00 / ac is what I paid.

I have a no till drill
0 x

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Sun May 20, 2018 8:17 am

M-5 wrote:If you could plant without discing you will cut down on weeds coming back up.

Totally agree. Just amazes me how weed seeds can sit dormant in the soil for centuries (seems like) and you roll the soil and here comes a new crop.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun May 20, 2018 5:08 pm

Around here the soil & water usually has one to rent.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”