payment

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: payment

Postby Jogeephus » Tue May 29, 2018 9:50 am

Bought a large cup of coffee this morning and it came to $1.27. Yesterday I bought a gallon of whole milk and it cost me $1.25. I'm no rocket scientist but something don't seem right with this picture and with school fixing to be out I only expect the spread from a cup of coffee and a gallon of milk to grow.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Tue May 29, 2018 5:25 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Bought a large cup of coffee this morning and it came to $1.27. Yesterday I bought a gallon of whole milk and it cost me $1.25. I'm no rocket scientist but something don't seem right with this picture and with school fixing to be out I only expect the spread from a cup of coffee and a gallon of milk to grow.

Where did you buy a gallon of milk for $1.25?? The least expensive I have found, around my part of Va., was for $2.89 a gallon.

(Or is this another joke, that seems to be flying over my head, like the last one?) ;)
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue May 29, 2018 6:44 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Bought a large cup of coffee this morning and it came to $1.27. Yesterday I bought a gallon of whole milk and it cost me $1.25. I'm no rocket scientist but something don't seem right with this picture and with school fixing to be out I only expect the spread from a cup of coffee and a gallon of milk to grow.

Where did you buy a gallon of milk for $1.25?? The least expensive I have found, around my part of Va., was for $2.89 a gallon.

(Or is this another joke, that seems to be flying over my head, like the last one?) ;)

No joke and its not even on sale. About a month ago I paid the same but that was a Manager's Special limit to two gallons a person. This is just the retail price now. Something is wrong when a two liter soda is $1.89 and a gallon of milk is a buck and a quarter.

Edit to say: I've increased my milk consumption considerably. Even pouring it to my dog because he loves it.
3 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed May 30, 2018 7:48 am

3 more Dairy Processors announced plant closings this month.
Sunshine Dairy - in business 85 years in Oregon
Meadow Brook Dairy - 86 years in Pennsylvania
Garelick Farms - 89 years in Massachusetts

Maybe they can retool and bottle water.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed May 30, 2018 8:33 am

Son of Butch wrote:3 more Dairy Processors announced plant closings this month.
Sunshine Dairy - in business 85 years in Oregon
Meadow Brook Dairy - 86 years in Pennsylvania
Garelick Farms - 89 years in Massachusetts

Maybe they can retool and bottle water.

True but I can still buy a gallon of water for $1.19 so that means the dairyman will be sacrificing $0.06/gal right?

In all seriousness, something is really wrong with this picture. Don't know this to be the reason but maybe the increase in childhood obesity, diabetes and the low demand for milk can be explained by the nation's penchant for these corn syrup laden soft drinks. I know as a child we drank milk or water. A soda was something really special that we might have at a birthday party or at the movies and only if we were well behaved. Now you see people filling their grocery buggies up with cases of soft drinks while their dumpling children bounce off the walls if they are not on their ADD meds.
1 x

cbcr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby cbcr » Wed May 30, 2018 11:12 pm

Part of the problem are all the non-milk products on the shelves, soy, almond, etc. Consumers seem to follow fads and these fake milk products have taken an ever increasing market share the last few years. When I have been at the store and someone is getting a fake milk, when I ask them why the are drinking fake milk most don't have a good answer.

The family farm, and not just dairy, is threatened. As was mentioned it has gotten to the point of everyone has to get big or get out. But if you stop and think about the economy, if 10 small family farms discontinue and the families move out of the area, what does that do to the local economy compared to one large operation. Automobiles, food, clothing, gas and other items a normal family purchases, those businesses are hurt as well. What about taxes for the schools and the counties? Is that large operation going to take up the slack? Yes, they may employ several people, but the balance of trade locally still falls short.

Walmart has built their own processing plant and rather than it be for a situation that could help small farmers, they want farms that can produce a tanker load. So many of the small dairy farms that some have been in the family for generations have been forced to sell their herds and some have even had to sell their land to pay off the debt. The cows for many didn't sell very well because the neighbors and others around them are afraid that they will lose their milk contracts next.

Our local walmart milk is $3.48 but at a walmart 25 miles from us it is $2.27 per gallon.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu May 31, 2018 7:57 am

Yes, milk is losing popularity. Good thing they put cheese on pizza.

Only family operation I saw that was expanding big time was leasing land, and sometimes building sites. They are copying the mega dairy finance part. The other way to look at this approach is that land is overpriced and does not cash flow... So you have to decide if you are an operator or a land speculator. Mega dairies here are operators.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Got Milk?”