payment

Help Support CattleToday:

Part of the problem are all the non-milk products on the shelves, soy, almond, etc. Consumers seem to follow fads and these fake milk products have taken an ever increasing market share the last few years. When I have been at the store and someone is getting a fake milk, when I ask them why the are drinking fake milk most don't have a good answer.

The family farm, and not just dairy, is threatened. As was mentioned it has gotten to the point of everyone has to get big or get out. But if you stop and think about the economy, if 10 small family farms discontinue and the families move out of the area, what does that do to the local economy compared to one large operation. Automobiles, food, clothing, gas and other items a normal family purchases, those businesses are hurt as well. What about taxes for the schools and the counties? Is that large operation going to take up the slack? Yes, they may employ several people, but the balance of trade locally still falls short.

Walmart has built their own processing plant and rather than it be for a situation that could help small farmers, they want farms that can produce a tanker load. So many of the small dairy farms that some have been in the family for generations have been forced to sell their herds and some have even had to sell their land to pay off the debt. The cows for many didn't sell very well because the neighbors and others around them are afraid that they will lose their milk contracts next.

Our local walmart milk is $3.48 but at a walmart 25 miles from us it is $2.27 per gallon.

Yes, milk is losing popularity. Good thing they put cheese on pizza.

Only family operation I saw that was expanding big time was leasing land, and sometimes building sites. They are copying the mega dairy finance part. The other way to look at this approach is that land is overpriced and does not cash flow... So you have to decide if you are an operator or a land speculator. Mega dairies here are operators.

A gallon of milk weighs approximately 128 ounces and has 111 ounces of water in it 4.16 ounces of fat . The rest protien minerals and maybe vitamins and other milk solids. People are learning to get their daily requirements form other sources. When a person is able to eat whole foods than they need to be weaned from milk. Humans are the only species that drink milk all of their lives. It can make you fat.

Milk might "make you fat" but all the artificial stuff and sweetners and all not only can make you fat but will also give you all kinds of other health problems.... with no vitamins or minerals or anything healthful in it.
I tried an experiment one time as my mom said I was gaining weight from drinking so much "real milk" unpasteurized and whole fat jersey milk. This was back when I was in my 30's. I stopped all milk from my cows for 2 months. Drank other stuff, including water, soda, juice, whatever I wanted just no milk at all. Gained 1/2 lb.... and with next to no healthful benefits. I was also a real bear to deal with first thing in the morning because I was not a coffee drinker, then or now. I missed my morning choc milk. Sure, that was only a little one time thing. But I went back to drinking my milk and have ever since. I drink next to no soda now, too sweet and fizzy... I have never been a big orange juice drinker but like some other juices but not alot. I drink a fair amount of water, always have. I like the taste of milk, and like it real cold or as hot chocolate.
It's the homogenization that is part of the problem...the fat is broken down through homogenization and the fat globules can pass through the walls of the intestines whereas non homogenized milk, the fat globules are too big to be absorbed and the body draws out the good from them and they actually pass out of the body.
Alot of it is QUANTITY, too much of anything will make you fat.....
but give me real food to get fat on rather than artificial..... and get some healthy vits and mins for my body in the process.

Plus due to the laws we are not allowed to advertise that WHOLE milk is 96 1/2 % FAT FREE. With all the added NATuRALLY occuring healthy vits and mins.

hurleyjd":1zpw93db said:
A gallon of milk weighs approximately 128 ounces and has 111 ounces of water in it 4.16 ounces of fat . The rest protien minerals and maybe vitamins and other milk solids. People are learning to get their daily requirements form other sources. When a person is able to eat whole foods than they need to be weaned from milk. Humans are the only species that drink milk all of their lives. It can make you fat.
Humans are the only once that are given the choice between milk and water. Given the choice many mature animals love milk.

hurleyjd":chwu00vf said:

After reading this I decided to conduct an experiment so I poured a bowl full of milk and a bowl full of water and set it down to see which one my dog preferred. He chose milk so I wonder if this doesn't show that the only reason humans may be the only species that drinks milk all their lives is they have the choice. BTW - I have a cow who, much to my dismay, has drank milk all her life also. She even trained a few others to do this also so I shipped her and her minions.

Joge Something is wrong when a two liter soda is $1.89 and a gallon of milk is a buck and a quarter. Edit to say: I've increased my milk consumption considerably. Even pouring it to my dog because he loves it.[/quote said:
You need to get serious and buy a bunch of bottle calves. :nod:

Stocker Steve":3ke68p84 said:
Joge Something is wrong when a two liter soda is $1.89 and a gallon of milk is a buck and a quarter. Edit to say: I've increased my milk consumption considerably. Even pouring it to my dog because he loves it.[/quote:3ke68p84 said:
You need to get serious and buy a bunch of bottle calves. :nod:

Why buy when I can get them for free but I don't because bottle feeding calves seriously offends me. :lol2:

Latest posts