Wet distillers grain

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
quartermeter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Wet distillers grain

Postby quartermeter » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:36 am

Dude your crazy. I never said the WBG was killing MY cows I just said I had 2 cows die. You said it keeps your cows fat. A healthy fat cow will have a healthier bigger calf than a thin cow. Maybe not too big but bigger. You have to agree with your own words.
0 x

quartermeter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby quartermeter » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:58 am

WBG has been fed to farm animals for 1000’s of years. I’m sure there have been studies done on feeding results. SHT I’m not here to argue. I’m here to gain info. Remember No one knows everything. Farmers around me are Skeptic of WBG. Most never heard of it. I get more than I need And I have tried to give it away. I’ve had no luck. The baptists won’t take any cause it comes from beer. It’s too much work for others.
Skyhightree you need to RELAX. You’ll have a more harmonious outcome. This isn’t worth getting all upset over.
Have a nice day.
Last edited by quartermeter on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

quartermeter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby quartermeter » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:07 am

SHT how many cow and heifers do you feed?
What’s the measurements on that tilt trailer?
Where r u located?
Just curious?
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:16 am

quartermeter wrote:Dude your crazy. I never said the WBG was killing MY cows I just said I had 2 cows die. You said it keeps your cows fat. A healthy fat cow will have a healthier bigger calf than a thin cow. Maybe not too big but bigger. You have to agree with your own words.

I've been called worse by better people.. you eluded to the grain killing your cows.. where did I say it keeps my cows fat? I've had cows die that were strictly on grass as well as others so what's your point?

quartermeter wrote:WBG has been fed to farm animals for 1000’s of years. I’m sure there have been studies done on feeding results. SHT I’m not here to argue. I’m here to gain info. Remember No one knows everything. Farmers around me are Skeptic of WBG. Most never heard of it. I get more than I need And I have tried to give it away. I’ve had no luck. The baptists won’t take any cause it comes from beer. It’s too much work for others.
Skyhightree you need to RELAX. You’ll have a more harmonious outcome. This isn’t worth getting all upset over.
Have a nice day.

You are correct no one knows everything I never proclaimed that. If here to gain info that's great cause I just gave you some. I am relaxed I'm good.

quartermeter wrote:SHT how many cow and heifers do you feed?
What’s the measurements on that tilt trailer?
Where r u located?
Just curious?

I feed in the triple digits for now but will be diminishing tremendously.. that trailer 5x10x6 my single axle and my quad axle dump truck I don't know there exact measurements.. I'm in va.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

quartermeter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby quartermeter » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:30 am

You said this.
“Its good feed keeps the cows looking good(FAT) over the winter and has cut my hay consumption over half.”
I fully agree with you. Your preaching to the Choir. I’ve fed it for 5+ years. They love it and eat less hay and grass.
Go preach to folks that don’t use it.
You know your only feeding half of what you dump right. They walk on and waste half of it. Looks like that trailer holds 12-14,000 lbs. if u have 150 cows that’s just 50 lbs each. Thats what mine get. I don’t feed it every day. I get mine in 300 gal totes. 2-3/week. Cows are full after an hour. I move them out and feed it in 2 days. I don’t have much to waste.
If you’re ever in Pulaski Tenn I’ll buy u a beer. We’ll argue in person.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:28 am

quartermeter wrote:You said this.
“Its good feed keeps the cows looking good(FAT) over the winter and has cut my hay consumption over half.”
I fully agree with you. Your preaching to the Choir. I’ve fed it for 5+ years. They love it and eat less hay and grass.
You know your only feeding half of what you dump right. They walk on and waste half of it. Looks like that trailer holds 12-14,000 lbs. if u have 150 cows that’s just 50 lbs each. Thats what mine get. I don’t feed it every day. I get mine in 300 gal totes. 2-3/week. Cows are full after an hour. I move them out and feed it in 2 days. I don’t have much to waste.

quote what i said i never said fat i said looking good. You are correct probably about how much the trailer could hold however I don't just use the trailer i use the dump trucks to haul and empty the silo completely each week. Totes are alot of work and suck I started with totes thats one thing I hate is totes and shoveling that crap. Yea they stomp alot in the ground for sure but thats what I want it really improves my sandy soil. No need to buy me a beer ill bring some kegs if im ever there. You should try to see if a dump trailer would work for you it makes life easier
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:10 pm

quartermeter wrote:You said this.

I fed it to dairy cattle for 10 years in large volumes. An excellent product. Quartermeter actually it is nutritionally considered "roughage" once it has gone through the fermentation process and is little more than residue of what once was grain. The process removes almost all of the starches making it a very safe feed for cattle of all ages. As for the 50% waste you experienced all I can say is you must have had a really shytty setup as we had almost zero loss. BTW tell the baptist the alcohol is all gone. :lol2:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

quartermeter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby quartermeter » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:58 pm

Title says distillers grain, he meant WBG, wet brewers grain. There is no fermentation in WBG. As for the waste. It’s SHT with the waste. He’s dumping 10,000 lbs on the ground. I said 1/2 is wasted due to them walking on it. I feed in 300 gal totes. I have no waste. Go read again.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:28 pm

quartermeter wrote:Title says distillers grain, he meant WBG, wet brewers grain. There is no fermentation in WBG. As for the waste. It’s SHT with the waste. He’s dumping 10,000 lbs on the ground. I said 1/2 is wasted due to them walking on it. I feed in 300 gal totes. I have no waste. Go read again.

Go back to page one and you'll see that "I" was the one that pointed out that it was indeed WBG and not wet distillers grain. WBG absolutely is fermented during the beer manufacturing process. Without it there is no alcohol. Can't find Sky's post about cattle walking through the WBG. Did see where he said he had a sacrifice area where he fed and from time to time he would disk leftovers into the soil.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:31 pm

After 2 years of trying I finally was able to get a source for WBG today! Not a lot only 300-800 pounds a week. So we will see how this goes
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:31 am

ez14. wrote:After 2 years of trying I finally was able to get a source for WBG today! Not a lot only 300-800 pounds a week. So we will see how this goes

Congrats but if its not right next door thats not very much at all you can have 300lbs of brewers grain in a protein tub. That is good you found a source but thats not alot at all and really not worth your time to feed to cattle and would be great if you have alot of chickens or something maybe pigs.
0 x

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:18 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
ez14. wrote:After 2 years of trying I finally was able to get a source for WBG today! Not a lot only 300-800 pounds a week. So we will see how this goes

Congrats but if its not right next door thats not very much at all you can have 300lbs of brewers grain in a protein tub. That is good you found a source but thats not alot at all and really not worth your time to feed to cattle and would be great if you have alot of chickens or something maybe pigs.
well it is pretty close and easy to get. I can just pick it up when I'm getting lunch

I would like to feed it to pigs but the price of a feeder pig compared to a finished pig makes that hard to pencil out even with free feed
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:30 am

ez14. wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

well it is pretty close and easy to get. I can just pick it up when I'm getting lunch

I would like to feed it to pigs but the price of a feeder pig compared to a finished pig makes that hard to pencil out even with free feed

Yea, I sell mine to folks mostly for bbq pigs and slaughter pigs. If pigs were just for me to eat id still use it for the pigs and such because a home raised pig is a tasty beast and its a big difference in how you raise them and their flavor.
0 x

cjmc
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cjmc » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:44 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Dsteim wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
From beer brewing process?

Yes from beer brewing.

That's not distillers grain. It's wet brewers grain. You can feed it free choice. At 65=70% water it takes quite a bit of it to get any real dry matter into the cattle.

Just out of curiosity. How different is WBG from WDG in terms of DM, Phos, CP & energy?
0 x

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:36 pm

quartermeter wrote:In summer, or winter, U can put it in 55 gal drums, bags or anything with a air tight lid on it will sileage. I put it in barrels in July and fed it in January.
I let the cows eat for 1 hr and move them. I don’t feed it to 1st calf hefers. It makes their calf’s too big. Cows can eat too much. I’ve fed it for 5+ years.

Everyone told me that feeding the bred heifer would make the calf too big and I believed it for over ten years and found out that was not remotely true. I used to feed my heifers until breeding time and then stop. Months later I would have a heifer that wasn't as big as I was hoping. Not usually a problem until the second calf.
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

Return to “Feedyard Board”