Winter feeding area ideas

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4171
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Contact:

Re: Winter feeding area ideas

Postby sim.-ang.king » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:45 pm

Who da thunk a fenceline feeder would be new age tech.
1 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6628
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Klickitat County Washington

Re: Winter feeding area ideas

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:04 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:Who da thunk a fenceline feeder would be new age tech.


I must have been way ahead of my time and didn't know it. I think I built mine 18-19 years ago.
1 x

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:06 am

Re: Winter feeding area ideas

Postby kentuckyguy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:28 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Those Eden Shale setups are on the fancy end of business.

The Amish setup is only the cost of welding up the size fenceline feeder you order. All made to your needs.

The concept of the fenceline feeder is different than a hay cradle. The objective is to feed without opening a gate, entering your feed area or dealing with a bunch of cows around your bale.


You can do that if you tie the cradle to the fence. Just set the bale in the cradle over the fence. If you don't tie the cradle, they will move it when it is emptied. My fences are only 54 inches tall or so. I spear the bale about 1/3 of the way to the top. I don't remove the wrap until I am about to set it over.

I have the cost of welding too, plus I lay 1/3 of a cow panel in the bottom of the cradle and stitch weld it in. It helps hold the fines in the cradle. They have 10 gussets that can be built with scrap short iron. People scrap trampoline frames all the time. Saw one last week in Cleburne from a facebook post and a few people tagged me. I've got all I need.


I tried the tying the hay ring to the fence. That sure don't work. Creates as much work as it resolves.

Basically, the fenceline concept is getting something that can withstand the feeding activities of cows and still provide them access. The Amish setup is basically "three gates" that open to the outside of the feed area. You drop the roll and push it forward. That moves the remaining hay forward. The guy at Morehead said it does not waste any hay and is self cleaning. I am going to try it.


Bright Raven do you have pics or video of the Amish setup your referring too?
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5695
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Winter feeding area ideas

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:49 pm

kentuckyguy wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:
You can do that if you tie the cradle to the fence. Just set the bale in the cradle over the fence. If you don't tie the cradle, they will move it when it is emptied. My fences are only 54 inches tall or so. I spear the bale about 1/3 of the way to the top. I don't remove the wrap until I am about to set it over.

I have the cost of welding too, plus I lay 1/3 of a cow panel in the bottom of the cradle and stitch weld it in. It helps hold the fines in the cradle. They have 10 gussets that can be built with scrap short iron. People scrap trampoline frames all the time. Saw one last week in Cleburne from a facebook post and a few people tagged me. I've got all I need.


I tried the tying the hay ring to the fence. That sure don't work. Creates as much work as it resolves.

Basically, the fenceline concept is getting something that can withstand the feeding activities of cows and still provide them access. The Amish setup is basically "three gates" that open to the outside of the feed area. You drop the roll and push it forward. That moves the remaining hay forward. The guy at Morehead said it does not waste any hay and is self cleaning. I am going to try it.


Bright Raven do you have pics or video of the Amish setup your referring too?


No. I observed it at Maple Leaf Farms back in March. Too bad I didn't take some pictures. These were not covered.
0 x

kentuckyguy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 87
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:06 am

Re: Winter feeding area ideas

Postby kentuckyguy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:34 pm

If you build one post some pics. I’m going to build a fence line feeder similar to Eden shale this fall. I’ll also post pics and let everyone know how it works out.
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5695
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Winter feeding area ideas

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:57 pm

kentuckyguy wrote:If you build one post some pics. I’m going to build a fence line feeder similar to Eden shale this fall. I’ll also post pics and let everyone know how it works out.


Will do. I plan on starting soon.
0 x

plumber_greg
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1329
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:51 pm
Location: NW Missouri

Re: Winter feeding area ideas

Postby plumber_greg » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:50 am

Something like fenceline feeding of hay you need 4 things=====
#1 a good winter to be able to haul and scrape manure and wasted hay. If you can't, it will build up and the cows will have to reach down to get to the hay.
#2 a way to stop the mudhole at the stepping off point.
#3 the desire and time to have to constantly scrape and haul manure.
#4 not very many cows, or #3 will stop happening.
Something like this is not a new idea. Before investing very much money in it, ask yourself why people who have had cattle their whole life dont have a setup life this. Simply cuz it dont work very good. JMHO. GS
0 x
Just call me plumberscrack

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6628
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Klickitat County Washington

Re: Winter feeding area ideas

Postby Dave » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:06 am

plumber_greg wrote:Something like fenceline feeding of hay you need 4 things=====
#1 a good winter to be able to haul and scrape manure and wasted hay. If you can't, it will build up and the cows will have to reach down to get to the hay.
#2 a way to stop the mudhole at the stepping off point.
#3 the desire and time to have to constantly scrape and haul manure.
#4 not very many cows, or #3 will stop happening.
Something like this is not a new idea. Before investing very much money in it, ask yourself why people who have had cattle their whole life dont have a setup life this. Simply cuz it dont work very good. JMHO. GS


You have to ask yourself are there different environments than the one which you live in. Set up right in the areas where mud is an everyday, every winter issue you will spend less time messing with the manure than trying to feed out in the field. My old set up it took 20 minutes at the most twice a week to scrape the manure. It was the simplest easiest set up for the weather, flooding and soil that I had to deal with. And I fed up to 100 head in the this system.
1 x

plumber_greg
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1329
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:51 pm
Location: NW Missouri

Re: Winter feeding area ideas

Postby plumber_greg » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:23 am

Dave wrote:
plumber_greg wrote:Something like fenceline feeding of hay you need 4 things=====
#1 a good winter to be able to haul and scrape manure and wasted hay. If you can't, it will build up and the cows will have to reach down to get to the hay.
#2 a way to stop the mudhole at the stepping off point.
#3 the desire and time to have to constantly scrape and haul manure.
#4 not very many cows, or #3 will stop happening.
Something like this is not a new idea. Before investing very much money in it, ask yourself why people who have had cattle their whole life dont have a setup life this. Simply cuz it dont work very good. JMHO. GS


You have to ask yourself are there different environments than the one which you live in. Set up right in the areas where mud is an everyday, every winter issue you will spend less time messing with the manure than trying to feed out in the field. My old set up it took 20 minutes at the most twice a week to scrape the manure. It was the simplest easiest set up for the weather, flooding and soil that I had to deal with. And I fed up to 100 head in the this system.

I guess I'm too old.I couldn't walk to the barn, start the equipment, open and close the gates in 20 minutes, yet alone scrape manure for a hundred head.
0 x
Just call me plumberscrack

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5695
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Winter feeding area ideas

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:50 am

plumber_greg wrote:Something like fenceline feeding of hay you need 4 things=====
#1 a good winter to be able to haul and scrape manure and wasted hay. If you can't, it will build up and the cows will have to reach down to get to the hay.
#2 a way to stop the mudhole at the stepping off point.
#3 the desire and time to have to constantly scrape and haul manure.
#4 not very many cows, or #3 will stop happening.
Something like this is not a new idea. Before investing very much money in it, ask yourself why people who have had cattle their whole life dont have a setup life this. Simply cuz it dont work very good. JMHO. GS


Greg

You raise some good points. In my operation, I have a feed area that has a rock base of #2 limestone gravel choked off with mine waste run. I scrape it off on a regular basis. I then spread the mature on the pasture about mid summer.

The operation at Maple Leaf uses the Amish design, I have seen it a couple times and I think he has his on concrete. This guy raises some great Simmental and Angus cattle. It is not unusual for him to spend 25 k to 40 k for a heifer. I watched him buy the top selling heifer at the Owen's Brothers Sale for 24 k one year - which is near Springfield MO. He drove to Springfield from Morehead, bought the one heifer and headed back home with her. My point is he has a lot of divided paddocks with small groups. These setups allow him to run down the main lane and drop hay to each group without messing around in the paddock. This systems really works great for him.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1661
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: Winter feeding area ideas

Postby ddd75 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:58 am

i'll just take my feedlot building with concrete lanes. I'll scrape manure before letting them destroy my fields.
0 x

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11246
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Winter feeding area ideas

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:05 am

ddd75 wrote:i'll just take my feedlot building with concrete lanes. I'll scrape manure before letting them destroy my fields.


I've been talking for several years about ways to improve on our winter feeding set-up.

Would you mind posting pictures of your feedlot building? Thanks in advance.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6628
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Klickitat County Washington

Re: Winter feeding area ideas

Postby Dave » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:00 pm

Mine was a straight run of a little over 120 feet long. Concrete 120+ by 24 with those slant bar feeders down one side. The hay all had a roof over it. About half the roof stuck out 4 or 5 feet over the cows. The other half had a roof out 12 feet completely over the cows. At the west end I had a 24 by 24 manure bunk. It had a 4 foot tall wall around three sides made of those 2x2x4 concrete blocks that weigh a ton.

I had a rubber tire scraper made from a big tractor tire. The tire was cut in two and then the side wall cut off one side. Mounted on a three point frame it was 7 feet wide. It formed a big U. About 5 passes and I would have 95% of the manure. I never worried about making it spotless because as soon as I was done the cows would be back making a new mess.

As I said I had up to 100 cows on this. That was just before turn out and was a bit over crowded. This set up worked great for 60 head. At 100 I set a couple round bale rings at the edge of the concrete.
0 x

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11246
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Winter feeding area ideas

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:08 pm

Dave wrote:Mine was a straight run of a little over 120 feet long. Concrete 120+ by 24 with those slant bar feeders down one side. The hay all had a roof over it. About half the roof stuck out 4 or 5 feet over the cows. The other half had a roof out 12 feet completely over the cows. At the west end I had a 24 by 24 manure bunk. It had a 4 foot tall wall around three sides made of those 2x2x4 concrete blocks that weigh a ton.

I had a rubber tire scraper made from a big tractor tire. The tire was cut in two and then the side wall cut off one side. Mounted on a three point frame it was 7 feet wide. It formed a big U. About 5 passes and I would have 95% of the manure. I never worried about making it spotless because as soon as I was done the cows would be back making a new mess.

As I said I had up to 100 cows on this. That was just before turn out and was a bit over crowded. This set up worked great for 60 head. At 100 I set a couple round bale rings at the edge of the concrete.


Sounds pretty good.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

plumber_greg
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1329
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:51 pm
Location: NW Missouri

Re: Winter feeding area ideas

Postby plumber_greg » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:41 am

Dave always thought something like that would work good in the heifer pen.
Did you have a problem with them wanting to bunch up under the roof in bad weather?
In mo. I think they would. Gs
0 x
Just call me plumberscrack


Return to “Every Thing Else Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest