Clipping pastures today

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckyguy

Reaction score
ssEroka.jpg

1DZz9S2.jpg

Clipping some pasture before moving the fall born heifers today.

This section of field was woods 2 years ago. I have planted orchard grass, fescue, and clover on it and it's getting better.

Still getting oak tree sprouts about a foot tall in the spring.

Looks good. You left some nice trees for shade. I still get honey locust and black locust sprouts. In Kentucky, with the plant growth we get, I am an advocate for clipping pasture.

wbvs58":3v41eoxo said:
What do you do with the tree sprouts, just mow them off or do you spray them?

Ken

Ken

I mow mine. Since I mow at least twice a year, they have no chance to cause a problem.

Bright Raven":2aixnz9d said:
wbvs58":2aixnz9d said:

Ken

Ken

I mow mine. Since I mow at least twice a year, they have no chance to cause a problem.

Do you think they eventually die out by mowing them Ron. I get a lot of sapling regrowth and often wonder about just mowing them, I want to get a shredding flail mower.

Ken

I've just been mowing the sprouts but figure I'll keep getting them for a few more years.

I shred my pastures at least once a year so it's no big deal. Running the shredder in the pasture field is like putting fertilizer on here. Everything greens up and starts growing better.

And of course I can't stand letting the iron weeds get grown up and we get lots of them.

wbvs58":2jm1xp2g said:
Bright Raven":2jm1xp2g said:
wbvs58":2jm1xp2g said:

Ken

Ken

Do you think they eventually die out by mowing them Ron. I get a lot of sapling regrowth and often wonder about just mowing them, I want to get a shredding flail mower.

Ken

Most Species die out. But locusts have very hardy genes. I have killed most everything by mowing.

wbvs58":3h5h4uhr said:
Bright Raven":3h5h4uhr said:
wbvs58":3h5h4uhr said:

Ken

Ken

Ken

Flail mower was a great purchase for me.. just wish I could get one about 25 ft wide.

I have mowed some pasture off this year and took the mist blower to some other that needed it and have not mowed it yet. I may just leave it as the heal flies are bad this year it seems and it gives the cows something to run in to shed them.

jltrent":2cf7km1k said:
I have mowed some pasture off this year and took the mist blower to some other that needed it and have not mowed it yet. I may just leave it as the heal flies are bad this year it seems and it gives the cows something to run in to shed them.
Please discuss the use of a mist blower and how you use it on pastures? Weeds? Due to slopes? Versus boom or boomless sprayer, ... Thanks.

L4XKuUl.jpg

Clipped some more pasture today down on the bottom ground. Mainly knocked down some iron weeds.

The girls came to check out my job after I was done.

kentuckyguy":233g8rd2 said:
L4XKuUl.jpg

Clipped some more pasture today down on the bottom ground. Mainly knocked down some iron weeds.

The girls came to check out my job after I was done.

Will, it looks great. I have never seen grass this green in August. I mowed Monday just before this last rain. It is so muddy here now, you cannot get a tractor on my hills.
10xugx1.jpg

Looks good Ron

It's kind of muddy here also. I'm hoping to mow some of the hills here in the next few weeks.

kentuckyguy":1chqc1y3 said:
Looks good Ron

It's kind of muddy here also. I'm hoping to mow some of the hills here in the next few weeks.

Is some of your farm in Elliott County? I go down US 32 to Isonville. Some of those farms have hills that most people would swear could not be mowed.

Yep about half is in Elliott

Im about 8-10min from Isonville.

Some of ours are pretty bad. I feel like a need a Valium after I mow the sheep pasture.

kentuckyguy":3on0t36v said:
Yep about half is in Elliott

Im about 8-10min from Isonville.

Some of ours are pretty bad. I feel like a need a Valium after I mow the sheep pasture.

:lol: Just don't take it before you mow. Lol