Mulberry tree

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
I'm pretty sad, lost a humongous mulberry tree behind the house this week. I googled biggest mulberry tree and I'm not joking this thing was close. There is a million berries on it and I'm hoping they still ripen. I picked a bucket full of ripe ones today. Anyone got any mulberry recipes? How about the wood, any uses for it?

Wow!!! That was a huge tree. As for recipes, I've used them to make pies, using mulberries in place of blueberries, in the recipe. I've also used them to make a syrup, of sorts, to use as a flavoring for yogurt, ice cream, or to add to anything with fruit.

As for the wood, besides firewood, I suppose the wood could be used for some type of project.

Sorry you lost such a nice tree.

Workinonit Farm":3fixeudf said:
Wow!!! That was a huge tree. As for recipes, I've used them to make pies, using mulberries in place of blueberries, in the recipe. I've also used them to make a syrup, of sorts, to use as a flavoring for yogurt, ice cream, or to add to anything with fruit.

As for the wood, besides firewood, I suppose the wood could be used for some type of project.

Sorry you lost such a nice tree.
Thanks WF, that tree fed a lot of birds and coons and other critters for sure. I did some research(googling), and the wood is very similar to Osage Orange but softer. Once the berries are gone I will cut it up, if anyone on here wants any of the wood they can pm me and I'm sure we can work something out.

skyhightree1":mrxnpdwo said:
Id try a jelly.. that wood could be good to smoke meats with
I wondered about smoking with it also. I'll save some for you sky. If there's any pieces that strike me as something that need to be carved I will save it for cowgirl8.

ohiosteve":un1aiblz said:
skyhightree1":un1aiblz said:
Id try a jelly.. that wood could be good to smoke meats with
I wondered about smoking with it also. I'll save some for you sky. If there's any pieces that strike me as something that need to be carved I will save it for cowgirl8.

:lol2:

Cross-7":1vup33ds said:
What caused the tree to fall ?
I think just the heavy wieght of all the berries and wet ground. It has lost some big limbs the past couple years. Cows also liked hanging out under it that may have affected it.

The wood will make posts that will outlast locust. I still have some pushing fifty years.

poorboy":3d34o44u said:
The wood will make posts that will outlast locust. I still have some pushing fifty years.
That is really good to hear. I will be cutting it up as soon as the berries are gone, they are still ripening more and more each day, daughter and I are going to make some mullberry jam this weekend hopefully.

I picked mulberries for a neighbor when I was about 14....he had 3 big trees. Turned into a huge undertaking for a teenager tho my mother was really glad to get them. Extremely messy to harvest.
If I never see another mullberry stained finger I will be happy.

they are a nuisance tree unless they are out in the woods.

I agree they're a nuisance tree but a big one will make a lot of good fire wood.

Latest posts