Corner braces?

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Corner braces?

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:37 am

callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:360-90/2=135....never 140. Lol. Like arguing with a post.

135 is correct. But not 45.
look up some fencing specs.... it is very common for turns to be noted in degrees that you vary from a strait line. if you where say walking in a straight line and made a 45degree turn for example. the degree of the turn is measured from the imaginary straight line to the side of the brace that turns from that line.. your splitting hairs prince. everyone is right.....

Yep. Luke got me. 5 degrees could count a lot if you were shooting pool.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:18 am

Bright Raven wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
135 is correct. But not 45.
look up some fencing specs.... it is very common for turns to be noted in degrees that you vary from a strait line. if you where say walking in a straight line and made a 45degree turn for example. the degree of the turn is measured from the imaginary straight line to the side of the brace that turns from that line.. your splitting hairs prince. everyone is right.....

Actually by common industry practice. Your both incorrect. Your measuring the angle wrong. :lol2:
When educated people don't know wtf their talking about..... :roll: .
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:33 am

callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
callmefence wrote: look up some fencing specs.... it is very common for turns to be noted in degrees that you vary from a strait line. if you where say walking in a straight line and made a 45degree turn for example. the degree of the turn is measured from the imaginary straight line to the side of the brace that turns from that line.. your splitting hairs prince. everyone is right.....

Actually by common industry practice. Your both incorrect. Your measuring the angle wrong. :lol2:

You could have posted all day and not posted that. :cboy:

I got to say. Both you guys know your trade!!@
0 x
Diogenes.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:52 am

callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
callmefence wrote: look up some fencing specs.... it is very common for turns to be noted in degrees that you vary from a strait line. if you where say walking in a straight line and made a 45degree turn for example. the degree of the turn is measured from the imaginary straight line to the side of the brace that turns from that line.. your splitting hairs prince. everyone is right.....

I’ve actually explained the standard practice to Ron this morning, in a private conversation. But thanks for the kind hearted comments. They are always appreciated. I’ll try harder to learn the fencing business.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:55 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

I’ve actually explained the standard practice to Ron this morning, in a private conversation. But thanks for the kind hearted comments. They are always appreciated. I’ll try harder to learn the fencing business.

You did and you can confirm that I confessed the error of my statement. IT IS NOT THE INSIDE ANGLE BUT THE ANGLE EXPRESSED BY THE CHANGE IN DIRECTION FROM A STRAIGHT LINE. LOL
0 x
Diogenes.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:54 am

:tiphat: ....
0 x

David Crockett

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:32 pm

This thread makes my head hurt
1 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:43 am

callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

I have to draw it. Now days we have cadd operators who draw it for us. For bended pipe or tube, I show the degree of bend on the drawings and not the projected angles. The cadd kids are always changing my representations for 30 degree bends or 45 degree bends. For instance if I want a 45 degree bend in the pipe, they want to show a 135 degree angle. That confuses the guys doing the work. I red line the drawings and send them back. No need to confuse the craftsmen. Continue the line and show the degree of bend. I've been at this for over 40 years now. Much easier for me to just bend it than to draw a picture but I have to draw it. I also have to go out and salvage things when they hose it up in the field.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:10 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

I have to draw it. Now days we have cadd operators who draw it for us. For bended pipe or tube, I show the degree of bend on the drawings and not the projected angles. The cadd kids are always changing my representations for 30 degree bends or 45 degree bends. For instance if I want a 45 degree bend in the pipe, they want to show a 135 degree angle. That confuses the guys doing the work. I red line the drawings and send them back. No need to confuse the craftsmen. Continue the line and show the degree of bend. I've been at this for over 40 years now. Much easier for me to just bend it than to draw a picture but I have to draw it. I also have to go out and salvage things when they hose it up in the field.

Cadd kids. :D ...I'm gonna use that.. ;-)
1 x

David Crockett

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Another one from FFS. He is building fence right now as I post. Lol

BTW: Luke. Those angles are more open than 45 degrees!

Why build a corner like this? I'm guessing it's stronger with all the bracing, but would a 90 degree not have been strong enough? I will say, I'd rather mow around that then a 90, lol.
0 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:45 pm

callmefence wrote:

Computer Aided Drafting and Design it seems. They've never been on a board or put lead to paper. They don't know what a scum bag is or what it is for.

Each print out is a first generation print. That's kind of nice. Slow process but really fast when you do revisions to drawings.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:51 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:Another one from FFS. He is building fence right now as I post. Lol

BTW: Luke. Those angles are more open than 45 degrees!

Why build a corner like this? I'm guessing it's stronger with all the bracing, but would a 90 degree not have been strong enough? I will say, I'd rather mow around that then a 90, lol.

Mine had a gate in it dead center. Pipe and metal and no wood.

The oilfield equipment trucks took out my corner posts over and over and over. They told no one and you'd get that 2 a.m. call that your cows were out. They had room but not enough experience. So we cut out the corners and put in 45's similar to the picture. I put a gate in that corner since there was no gate on that side of the pasture. The equipment trucks and water trucks quit taking out my corner posts after that. I hope that answers your question.
1 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:30 pm

callmefence wrote:
backhoeboogie wrote:
callmefence wrote:

I guess I'm a "CAD kid", although I'm almost 60 (I make my living with Solidworks). However, I also know enough about fabricating not to show a 135° angle.
1 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”