"Jogeephus had some problems with salmonella."

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: N. Texas

"Jogeephus had some problems with salmonella."

Postby Texasmark » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:36 am

Hellooooooo.

Mr/Ms Jogeephus. You online? Would you elaborate on this for me/us? Came off the Chicken Litter question of a couple of days ago.

Thanks.
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5995
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: "Jogeephus had some problems with salmonella."

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:18 am

Texasmark wrote:Hellooooooo.

Mr/Ms Jogeephus. You online? Would you elaborate on this for me/us? Came off the Chicken Litter question of a couple of days ago.

Thanks.


Gender:Male. Occupation:Farmer. Hobby: Wine Maker and Master Chef. He is a master wine maker - I can personally attest to that.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2849
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: "Jogeephus had some problems with salmonella."

Postby JMJ Farms » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:27 am

Jogeephus wrote:Just had a strange incident at work due to the use of chicken litter. Chicken litter was spread on some fields near where I had a crew working and over half the crew contracted Salmonella. One of the guys was hospitalized and another may have to be admitted as well. Its a pretty bad deal and these guys are as sick as dogs. Thing is we weren't even working in the fields where the litter was spread and the best I can figure is the field was dry and the trucks coming in the field threw up dust which contained the salmonella spores and this was ingested through breathing the dust. Never heard of this happening but I thought it worth mentioning to those who use chicken litter.


Jogeephus wrote:
It is good fertilizer and has a lot of micros in it and the price is sometimes right. Other than the stench, I've never known of anyone having trouble with it and I don't plan on not using it but this gave me something to consider when I do use it. I think this problem was the result of how dry its been and the the dust. I think it was the dust because everyone who wasn't in an enclosed cab got real sick and only one who was in a cab got a little sick. A perfect storm type thing.

Thanks, they are doing better and should be working Monday. The symptoms were diarrhea and nausea but this didn't happen till the morning after the first day of working beside the spread litter so it must have taken about a day for it to get the best of them but that morning they started dropping like flies. Projectile vomiting and the scours along with a high fever. The oldest guy got it the worse and had to go to the hospital. Another guy was considering it but I told him to drink castor oil with orange juice and baking soda and he ended up kicking it. A third guy just got the squirts and felt bad and another just felt bad - of course this could have been opportunistic sympathy pains.

I've put it on pastures with know problem but I've always kept the cattle off it till its rained in good and the stench subsides but that's good to know. I'd hate to lose any calves due to chicken litter and surely don't want to have to doctor any unnecessarily. Heck, its gotten so litter isn't that cheap anymore with more people using it.
0 x
"You don't have to be a genius to be successful. Just surround yourself with smart people. And LISTEN to them" C.M.

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: N. Texas

Re: "Jogeephus had some problems with salmonella."

Postby Texasmark » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:06 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Texasmark wrote:Hellooooooo.

Mr/Ms Jogeephus. You online? Would you elaborate on this for me/us? Came off the Chicken Litter question of a couple of days ago.

Thanks.


Gender:Male. Occupation:Farmer. Hobby: Wine Maker and Master Chef. He is a master wine maker - I can personally attest to that.


Thanks for your input.
0 x

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: N. Texas

Re: "Jogeephus had some problems with salmonella."

Postby Texasmark » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:11 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Just had a strange incident at work due to the use of chicken litter. Chicken litter was spread on some fields near where I had a crew working and over half the crew contracted Salmonella. One of the guys was hospitalized and another may have to be admitted as well. Its a pretty bad deal and these guys are as sick as dogs. Thing is we weren't even working in the fields where the litter was spread and the best I can figure is the field was dry and the trucks coming in the field threw up dust which contained the salmonella spores and this was ingested through breathing the dust. Never heard of this happening but I thought it worth mentioning to those who use chicken litter.


Jogeephus wrote:
It is good fertilizer and has a lot of micros in it and the price is sometimes right. Other than the stench, I've never known of anyone having trouble with it and I don't plan on not using it but this gave me something to consider when I do use it. I think this problem was the result of how dry its been and the the dust. I think it was the dust because everyone who wasn't in an enclosed cab got real sick and only one who was in a cab got a little sick. A perfect storm type thing.

Thanks, they are doing better and should be working Monday. The symptoms were diarrhea and nausea but this didn't happen till the morning after the first day of working beside the spread litter so it must have taken about a day for it to get the best of them but that morning they started dropping like flies. Projectile vomiting and the scours along with a high fever. The oldest guy got it the worse and had to go to the hospital. Another guy was considering it but I told him to drink castor oil with orange juice and baking soda and he ended up kicking it. A third guy just got the squirts and felt bad and another just felt bad - of course this could have been opportunistic sympathy pains.

I've put it on pastures with know problem but I've always kept the cattle off it till its rained in good and the stench subsides but that's good to know. I'd hate to lose any calves due to chicken litter and surely don't want to have to doctor any unnecessarily. Heck, its gotten so litter isn't that cheap anymore with more people using it.


That's what I was looking for. Thank you sir for your input. I'll take precautions to avoid the dust as there will be some.
0 x

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23840
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: "Jogeephus had some problems with salmonella."

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:26 pm

Sorry Texmark I just saw your thread. Busy time of the year for me. Thanks JMJFarms and Raven for taking up my slack.

Yeah, this was a freak deal. We use a lot of litter in my area and this is a first. Just thought it worth mentioning. I wouldn't NOT use it but I would practice common sense when using it because it is afterall, shyt.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16170
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: "Jogeephus had some problems with salmonella."

Postby greybeard » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:29 am

Do salmon get salmonella?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!


Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest