Alternative to PVC for watering systems?

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Re: Alternative to PVC for watering systems?

Postby M.Magis » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:46 am

jdg wrote:Thanks for all the rec's guys. My longest run will be around 4000', but there will be multiple watering stations off of it, potentially watering two different groups at a time, with tanks not so big that i could get away with 3/4". (some of the tanks will be portable, some permanent) I"ve done the math on my pumping unit and gallons per minute requirements for the herd size, which is why I know i'll need to start the longest run at 2.5". (I did the calculations for PVC...not sure if HDPE has a different flow rating, probably does.) I was concerned with pricing, labor costs, and repair issues. I was talked into using thin wall PVC for a previous project by a contractor i hired and it has been a nightmare. Lesson learned. Can the HDPE be put down with a shank type machine, or will i still need to dig a trench? I've never heard of gasketed PVC. The link to the 2" HDPE was twice as expensive as my price for PVC. So, I'm not sure that is feasible. I believe i was quoted around $.87/ft for 2"...unfortunately 2.5" was around $1.20/ft, if memory serves.

Is my math off? I'm seeing .35 cents/foot for the 2" HDPE.
0 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:30 am

ddd75 wrote:i'd never use pvc or gasketed pvc for water. way too many joints.

neighbor put a bunch of that gasketed pvc in and had 2 leaks the first winter. got those fixed, that summer a few more..

i've always used the black rolls. I always get the biggest possible and use plastic fittings.

Good idea. Pressure is not the issue. Close it all up and the pressure will be equal. Flow I what your challenge. Rolls have less couplings and therefore less K factors. Never cut it with a saw. Use a pipe or tube cutter to get squared ends which reduce K factors. Keep the pipe straight as possible. You can put a pressure tank on the delivery end and that will help if your demand is not extreme.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

jdg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jdg » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:06 am

M.Magis wrote:
jdg wrote:Thanks for all the rec's guys. My longest run will be around 4000', but there will be multiple watering stations off of it, potentially watering two different groups at a time, with tanks not so big that i could get away with 3/4". (some of the tanks will be portable, some permanent) I"ve done the math on my pumping unit and gallons per minute requirements for the herd size, which is why I know i'll need to start the longest run at 2.5". (I did the calculations for PVC...not sure if HDPE has a different flow rating, probably does.) I was concerned with pricing, labor costs, and repair issues. I was talked into using thin wall PVC for a previous project by a contractor i hired and it has been a nightmare. Lesson learned. Can the HDPE be put down with a shank type machine, or will i still need to dig a trench? I've never heard of gasketed PVC. The link to the 2" HDPE was twice as expensive as my price for PVC. So, I'm not sure that is feasible. I believe i was quoted around $.87/ft for 2"...unfortunately 2.5" was around $1.20/ft, if memory serves.

Is my math off? I'm seeing .35 cents/foot for the 2" HDPE.

Not sure why, but they list that price as 100' increments...not 500' rolls.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:06 am

the pipe on that website is very expensive. I would call around to a local plumbing supply store and tell them what you need.
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:23 pm

Close it all up and the pressure will be equal.
Except for differences in elevation in a static condition and elevation and friction in a flowing system.
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”