Finally got a chance to make a little hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
Finally got started on the haying. I just did some outside rounds yesterday, plus a little 25 acre piece. Started making some silage today.

Moving the first load:
z2zyv.jpg

The first few of the year:
29ogz2b.jpg

A row is taking shape:
nbxjqf.jpg

Of course, it was not without mishap. Greased the bale mover all up, kicked the tires, and headed out. Turns out I shoulda put a gauge on the tires, they were low enough that I knocked three of them off the bead. But I did get them back in place and aired up, hopefully things go better tomorrow. As long as I remind myself not to take any more shortcuts :dunce:

Raking baling and moving for baleage. Trying to get the outside rounds off some fields so if we ever get a break in the weather we can get at it. Most fields are not looking great by any stretch. Drought early then copious amounts of rain. And grasshoppers. Oh well we'll get what we get.
23wjq4g.jpg

Keep the bellies full anyhow!

I bought a tire machine last fall, got so sick of manually breaking beads (they never break when you want them to!) and my back wasn't having any more of it.. Now I swap tires off in a couple minutes and don't have to break a sweat.. Wish we had it 25 years ago

Great looking hay for July. I know July is probably the earliest you would want to bale.
Early to middle of June is best for our area. You are getting best balance of quality and quantity. We will do 2nd cutting in Sept?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1oyz0hqx said:
Great looking hay for July. I know July is probably the earliest you would want to bale.
Early to middle of June is best for our area. You are getting best balance of quality and quantity. We will do 2nd cutting in Sept?

Here the cows will take the second cut themselves. :nod:

Silver":3n6v5msk said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3n6v5msk said:

So you only cut hay one time a year?

True Grit Farms":1qparux1 said:
Silver":1qparux1 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1qparux1 said:

So you only cut hay one time a year?

Yessir

cfpinz":5mx24j5h said:
Is that a 605N? If so, how do you like it?

It is. I think it is an amazing machine.There may be an equal out there but I doubt there is better. 9000 bales through it so far and haven't even replaced a pickup tooth.

We had a cold spring, hay was looking pretty poor the first week of june, hardly over a pair of 8" work boots. 3 weeks later it was chest high and thick. No one remembers growth like that, I've had some field give me +66% over last year, but most in the +25-40% range.

I've been getting nervous, got a lot of acres laying on the ground but the humidity has been too high to get it baled. Finally got to bale some this afternoon. My wife was sneaking around taking some pictures.

38504070_10158297855182837_7502944546238496768_n.jpg

38783152_10158297855092837_3706279471884533760_n.jpg

38624341_10158297855372837_8940976790386507776_n.jpg

My wife has been pretty down lately, she's been dealing with sciatic and back issues and can't get in the haying equipment. But she can sneak around and take some pretty nice photos :D

Latest posts