@!#$%&*# Foot Rot is consuming my life

Cattle problems.
Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Re: @!#$%&*# Foot Rot is consuming my life

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:10 pm

Ebenezer wrote:Be sure that your minerals or your soils have adequate iodine.

X2! I only use salt with EDDI, no point in using the plain stuff for me. I just cannot justify having to potentially treat foot rot on a 2600 pound bull when a simple change in salt/mineral will likely keep foot rot from happening. :2cents:
1 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:13 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:Talk to your vet and get a prescription for some aureomycin 100 crumbles. Mix them with your minerals. It will help prevent further problems. You’ll probably still have to treat the current problems.

As stated above.
Have iodine added to their feed as well.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... b0d0204ae5
0 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:54 pm

The Vita Ferm product we use has iodine in it and we keep the iodized blocks out also. Felt that should be enough.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:50 am

elkwc wrote:
Rafter S wrote:

What he said. My father had always kept this salt out for his cattle (along with mineral, of course). A few years ago I thought "I never have any trouble with foot rot. I don't need to use that." So I started putting out plain white salt instead. Guess what? I started having trouble with foot rot. And it stopped when I went back to the EDDI salt.

Will have to do some looking but know I have never seen that product in this area. Will have to see what is available.

Even if you can't find that same brand there are probably comparable products. I've also seen small packages of the iodine that you mix with plain salt, so that might also be an option.
1 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:41 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:Talk to your vet and get a prescription for some aureomycin 100 crumbles. Mix them with your minerals. It will help prevent further problems. You’ll probably still have to treat the current problems.

As stated above.

This is the brand I use as well. IIRC there are different concentrations of it available, so be aware in dosing. I think my vet limited me to two week treatment using it. I cannot remember why now, chemical imbalance of some kind I suppose.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:47 am

Most commercial minerals do not have enough iodine in them. I was told they are limited due to concerns about iodine in dairy milk.

You can buy iodine in 25# pails or bags from a feed mill. Quit overpaying for commercial mineral and overpaying for meds by coming up with a custom mineral mix.

We are running over 200 head on rocky meadows and have one or two foot rot cases per year. It is often a young bull, so we now vaccinate bulls only for foot rot. Not sure if the vaccine works, but iodine is magic.
1 x
Stocker Steve

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:04 am

talltimber wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

As stated above.

This is the brand I use as well. IIRC there are different concentrations of it available, so be aware in dosing. I think my vet limited me to two week treatment using it. I cannot remember why now, chemical imbalance of some kind I suppose.

In the spring I have it mixed with a ton of feed. I can’t remember the dosage either per ton. I haven’t had foot rot in years. The feed mill knows the formula I think it cost me an additional ten bucks a ton.
0 x

Dempster
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dempster » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:53 pm

Just to make sure everyone is aware, this is entirely illegal, in more ways than one. If you're vet is writing you a script for this, he is liable, you are likely liable, and your feedmill is liable as well, if they mix it for you, which they probably won't since it isn't legal. The longer people keep doing this kind of thing, the sooner feed grade antibiotics will be taken away all together.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:03 pm

Dempster wrote:

Just to make sure everyone is aware, this is entirely illegal, in more ways than one. If you're vet is writing you a script for this, he is liable, you are likely liable, and your feedmill is liable as well, if they mix it for you, which they probably won't since it isn't legal. The longer people keep doing this kind of thing, the sooner feed grade antibiotics will be taken away all together.

Refresh my memory. Why is illegal if the veterinarian prescribes it and your feed store sells you exactly what he prescribed and you mix it according to instructions?? I guess you could always shoot them up with a buttload of LA-200. (legally)

Personally I'd prefer a mineral with an elevated level of iodine. Most will have 100 ppm or even less but look for one as high as you can get it. 300 ppm. Buy some EDDI and mix with your mineral. Also see if your mineral manufacturer will include Zinpro 100 (Zinc Methionine Complex) into the mineral. This is not a cure but a long term benefit as it will harden the foot area making it less susceptible to bruising etc.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Dempster
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dempster » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:33 pm

CTC is not labeled to be used for foot rot and veterinarians are not permitted to prescribe feed grade antibiotics in an off label manner.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:39 pm

It's probably not for foot rot. It's probably for anaplasmosis.
1 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:34 am

Some here may not be aware of how to tell if it is foot rot or an injury/absess. Foot rot makes the feet STINK - nasty. Put your finger between the toes & smell.
We always take couple pieces of baling twine, put them together and make a knot every couple inches. Then pick up foot & pull the knots between the toes back & forth. This will clean it out good. then Coppertox. I am surprised that you guys are having success with an antibiotic like Draxxin. LA200/LA300/Biomycin is the only thing I knew to work on foot rot. Hmmm, new for me. I will stick with 300 - works great. Rarely have a case, maybe 1/yr or less.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:08 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Some here may not be aware of how to tell if it is foot rot or an injury/absess. Foot rot makes the feet STINK - nasty. Put your finger between the toes & smell.
We always take couple pieces of baling twine, put them together and make a knot every couple inches. Then pick up foot & pull the knots between the toes back & forth. This will clean it out good. then Coppertox. I am surprised that you guys are having success with an antibiotic like Draxxin. LA200/LA300/Biomycin is the only thing I knew to work on foot rot. Hmmm, new for me. I will stick with 300 - works great. Rarely have a case, maybe 1/yr or less.

Jeanne your post is the main reason why I like this forum. You read different opinions and experiences with the same issues. Like I stated in a previous post in all my years I had only seen 2-3 cases of fot rot. And it was in cases of cattle being contained in wet muddy lots. Was always told our environment was too arid too see it except in real wet years. I know for sure you don't see it around here for whatever reason. Then when I started going to west central OK I started seeing it. We have 2 pastures we usually see some in every year. The first case I found was on a Saturday. Talked to the locals at the feed store and among other things LA200/LA300 was suggested. We could buy it at the store so did and gave the cow a dose. Next week she was a lot worse. Then contacted the vet and he suggested Nuflor and we had it. It was also suggested the week before. Gave it and she started improving. Think I may of tried LA300 one more time. Then when I was out of Nuflor one time another vet gave us Draxxin. That time it worked on 1 out of 2 cows. Since then it has seemed to work on all. But have never had Nuflor not work. The latter 2 are the ones used around that area the most it seems. LA200/300 is used by a few. Again it seems we each see different results. One of my vets says it can be in the soil in those two pastures and why we have it there. I have talked to them about the iodine issue and they all say they feel I provide enough. This year hasn't been as bad but also has been drier overall. And the ponds have been dry a lot so they haven't stood in them several hours everyday.
Last edited by elkwc on Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:26 am

Are you sure your not fighting ergot ? As it will cause lameness as well.
0 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:29 am

Caustic Burno wrote:Are you sure your not fighting ergot ? As it will cause lameness as well.

If you are talking to me I'm pretty sure. For several reasons. First they have the smell. I have took a tie rope and worked it between their toes. Also the year it was so bad after about 3 we took one to the vet and he verified it. I also wanted to get his input on treatment. Which was basically the same as we had been doing. Either Nuflor or Draxxin and turn out in a pasture with no ponds they could stand in or a good dry lot. Then later took another one and both times the vet verified it. So no doubt about them. Both vets say that the bacteria can live in the soil for a while so once you get it in a pasture you are more likely to have reoccurences in that pasture.
Last edited by elkwc on Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”