Cattle problems.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Pinkeye after being worked

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:33 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
ClinchValley wrote:Interesting. Thanks to all for the info so far.

I used pinkeye shield from our local CO-OP. New to all this, didn't know there were so many strains, and definitely wasn't aware there are custom tailored vaccines for this area. Now I know.

I've mowed once already. About to have to mow again. I'm thinking my problem area is having only so many water locations. And limited shaded areas. Pasture has been good so far, knock on wood. Maybe one or two seed heads per square foot in places. In places, none. Maybe 15 percent of pasture is inaccessible to a tractor, and is stemmy. But cattle see that ground maybe 4 days our of a month.

What do you all do for flies? This far, i've sprayed them from time to time. Due to how this farm is set up, a rub wouldn't work but half the month at best. Have considered putting the mop things on my homemade (plastic barrel) mineral feeders. Anyone use the mops?

Thought about it, i could come up with a mobile rub…maybe.

Right now I am pouring about every 18 days with UltraBoss. Real effective but it would be a pain if I had cows that would not stand to be poured in the field. In that case, I would spray with a Synergized Permethrin in a small pump spray.

Sounds like a chance to see some immunity to Ultraboss and similar products pretty quickly at that pace. Are you using the 200 flies per cow threshold to treat?

I don't count them. UltraBoss begins to lose its effectiveness at about 2 weeks. I treated yesterday. Horn flies were awful. Certainly, in the range of a couple hundred but that is a guess. Dang things are small and they are hard to count when they are moving.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
ClinchValley wrote:Interesting. Thanks to all for the info so far.

I used pinkeye shield from our local CO-OP. New to all this, didn't know there were so many strains, and definitely wasn't aware there are custom tailored vaccines for this area. Now I know.

I've mowed once already. About to have to mow again. I'm thinking my problem area is having only so many water locations. And limited shaded areas. Pasture has been good so far, knock on wood. Maybe one or two seed heads per square foot in places. In places, none. Maybe 15 percent of pasture is inaccessible to a tractor, and is stemmy. But cattle see that ground maybe 4 days our of a month.

What do you all do for flies? This far, i've sprayed them from time to time. Due to how this farm is set up, a rub wouldn't work but half the month at best. Have considered putting the mop things on my homemade (plastic barrel) mineral feeders. Anyone use the mops?

Thought about it, i could come up with a mobile rub…maybe.

Right now I am pouring about every 18 days with UltraBoss. Real effective but it would be a pain if I had cows that would not stand to be poured in the field. In that case, I would spray with a Synergized Permethrin in a small pump spray.

Sounds like a chance to see some immunity to Ultraboss and similar products pretty quickly at that pace. Are you using the 200 flies per cow threshold to treat?

I used Ultra Boss and both Saber and Ultra Saber in rotation last year on my vets advice and it worked good. This year I have used Fly Ban and Ultra Boss and a little Ultra Saber I had left over. I'm trying to decide this weekend what I will use next weekend. Ultra Boss and Fly Ban have the same active ingrediant and I can't tell there is any difference in effectiveness. I may go with Saber or Ultra Saber but looking at a couple of other options. I like something I can spray in a fine mist. I can't back pour all of mine. My vets have stressed rotating sprays with different ingrediants.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:37 pm

elkwc wrote:I used Ultra Boss and both Saber and Ultra Saber in rotation last year on my vets advice and it worked good. This year I have used Fly Ban and Ultra Boss and a little Ultra Saber I had left over. I'm trying to decide this weekend what I will use next weekend. Ultra Boss and Fly Ban have the same active ingrediant and I can't tell there is any difference in effectiveness. I may go with Saber or Ultra Saber but looking at a couple of other options. I like something I can spray in a fine mist. I can't back pour all of mine. My vets have stressed rotating sprays with different ingrediants.

Elkwc, Have you examined the difference between UltraBoss and UltraSabre? If not, this might help:

Ultra boss is a broader spectrum insecticide than Ultra sabre. Ultra sabre is lambdacyhalothrin and piperonyl butoxide for control of horn flies and lice. Whereas Ultra Boss is permethrin synergized with piperonyl butoxide. Ultra Boss controls a broad spectrum of ectoparasites - lice, horn flies and face flies, and to aid in the control of horse flies, stable flies, mosquitoes, black flies and ticks.

Lambdacyhalothrin has a record of being very effective which is a strong favor for sabre but I like the boss for control of a broader range of ectoparasites and pests.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:16 pm

bird dog wrote:
TCRanch wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
100 % agree. I sometimes think it is a natural immunity function. Pinkeye ran through my herd about 5 years ago. That is when Dr Stanfield recommended the autogenous vaccine. I used it and have had maybe 2 cases in the last 4 years. I often wonder if they simply developed natural immunity to the strains I had here and I am giving the vaccine undeserved credit!!!!!

Noticed one of my girls had a cloudy, watery eye about 6 weeks ago. Could not get her caught but after about a week it started clearing up, never ulcerated. Couple days later I went down to the barn & she was literally standing next to the chute but I didn't run her through because it was almost completely gone, just a tiny white dot. Can't see anything now, it's totally clear. I vaccinate every year so was it the vaccine that essentially healed it? Or natural immunity? A small abrasion or seed that worked its way out? Things that make you go hmmmmmm . . . .

You ask "was it the vaccine that essentially healed it?" Probably not. Look at some of those old tests where they test 100 or so calves that have pinkeye using different vaccines. They always have a control group where nothing is used. It always surprised me how many of the untreated just got over it. In some tests I have read about, the percentage of untreated "heal ups" was not much difference than the treated cases.

I think one of the best things to do this time of year is to just get them out of the sun for a while. Lock them in under a cover.
To me that is why patches seem to work well They keep the eye shaded.

Good point. Similar to benign neglect, as Dun would say. And I do have lots of trees & draws for shade plus a barn & a shelter. That said, I have a neighbor with an adjoining fence to 2 of my pastures and while he occasionally vaccinates (but not for pinkeye) he has essentially no fly control and I want to be proactive because what's in his herd could filter into mine plus my vet recommends vaccinating for pinkeye (geography).
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:25 pm

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=110312&hilit=fly+ban
Topic/thread I started last year re: fly control. Lots of good info but for my operation, I ended up going back to Fly Ban. Honestly, nothing else worked any better or longer.
0 x

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Postby elkwc » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:02 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
elkwc wrote:I used Ultra Boss and both Saber and Ultra Saber in rotation last year on my vets advice and it worked good. This year I have used Fly Ban and Ultra Boss and a little Ultra Saber I had left over. I'm trying to decide this weekend what I will use next weekend. Ultra Boss and Fly Ban have the same active ingrediant and I can't tell there is any difference in effectiveness. I may go with Saber or Ultra Saber but looking at a couple of other options. I like something I can spray in a fine mist. I can't back pour all of mine. My vets have stressed rotating sprays with different ingrediants.

Elkwc, Have you examined the difference between UltraBoss and UltraSabre? If not, this might help:

Ultra boss is a broader spectrum insecticide than Ultra sabre. Ultra sabre is lambdacyhalothrin and piperonyl butoxide for control of horn flies and lice. Whereas Ultra Boss is permethrin synergized with piperonyl butoxide. Ultra Boss controls a broad spectrum of ectoparasites - lice, horn flies and face flies, and to aid in the control of horse flies, stable flies, mosquitoes, black flies and ticks.

Lambdacyhalothrin has a record of being very effective which is a strong favor for sabre but I like the boss for control of a broader range of ectoparasites and pests.

Yes I have looked at most of the fly controls. Have you compared Ultra Boss to Fly Ban? Very similar but 20 dollars a gallon cheaper. The reason I use Saber or another product is to avoid building up a resistance to one product.
1 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:55 pm

Vaccinated for it several years ago. Had case after case for several months. Stopped vaccinating. Started using aureomycin in the minerals. Stopped having pinkeye. Go figure.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:07 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:Vaccinated for it several years ago. Had case after case for several months. Stopped vaccinating. Started using aureomycin in the minerals. Stopped having pinkeye. Go figure.

Don't over think it, KISS is my philosophy for a simple mind. I can't ever remember having an animal with pink eye.
2 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:57 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:Vaccinated for it several years ago. Had case after case for several months. Stopped vaccinating. Started using aureomycin in the minerals. Stopped having pinkeye. Go figure.

Are you mixing it into minerals yourself, or have you had success with the levels (2800 or 5600) in factory minerals, in my case Purina WnRain?

I have mixed in myself, and while its not too unhandy, I'm thinking of going to a premixed if the levels are effective.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Dempster
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dempster » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:45 pm

As with the foot rod discussion, it is illegal to mix Aueromycin into mineral yourself, or to use the product to treat/prevent pinkeye. People really need to break this habit.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:53 pm

Dempster wrote:As with the foot rod discussion, it is illegal to mix Aueromycin into mineral yourself, or to use the product to treat/prevent pinkeye. People really need to break this habit.

I can agree with the prevent but not treat deal. Just cause it's the law doesn't it right. You do what needs doing to ensure that you don't have a major breakout.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:04 pm

talltimber wrote:

Are you mixing it into minerals yourself, or have you had success with the levels (2800 or 5600) in factory minerals, in my case Purina WnRain?

I have mixed in myself, and while its not too unhandy, I'm thinking of going to a premixed if the levels are effective.

Both. Store bought is good enough. But since you can’t get medicated minerals without a script....Like Grit said. Do what you gotta do. Better look out for number 1 bc I promise you no one else will!
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:21 pm

Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but since I have been putting these up and keeping soaked with diesel/Permethrin 10% mix, pink eye hasn't been as bad as I give the calves an Alpha 7/MB1 shot. I noticed a fairly new calf a few days ago with a white spot in its eye and I gave it a shot of Draxxon and so far it hasn't gotten real bad.

Last edited by jltrent on Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby sstterry » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:26 pm

Who is your Vet? We are close and maybe I could make some recommendations. Large Animal Vets are getting more and more scarce!
1 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:32 pm

Dempster wrote:As with the foot rod discussion, it is illegal to mix Aueromycin into mineral yourself, or to use the product to treat/prevent pinkeye. People really need to break this habit.

You seem to be very insistent on people being aware of the legality of adding ctc in any manner. I am curious as to your motivation. Are you a vet, a vet student, government employee in this field, or maybe a feed rep/etc?

Here is what I have "heard".

From an MFA employee, I can't add ctc without falling under the "manufacturers" guidelines, not that it's illegal, I am just adding to my liability.

From a feed mill, Get a vfd and come pick it up.

From a veterinarian, I can't do it without a vfd. With a vfd, I can go get what I need and mix it myself.

From Joeblow at the coffeeshop, I can't add anyting to anything without a script, basically. No igr, no iodine, nothing.

If you could offer a source for verification, it would be appreciated.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

Return to “Health & Nutrition”