Tractor rides so rough!

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
The farm owner of the farm I manage/take care of bought two 2018 Kubota M6060 tractors about 3 months ago. He also owns a golf course next to his farm and the tractors are used there as well. They are fitted with turf tires so they can operate on the golf course. I don't know if that's why but when I use them to bushhog the farm it's the roughest dang ride I've ever experienced and I have 1000s of hrs. in tractors of various makes. The farm isn't that bumpy and the 1996 John Deere we used to have rode a lot smoother. Is it the turf tires? They have about 30 lbs. of air in those big ole round tires on the back. Maybe I should let the air down to 20 or 15 lbs.? Besides that it seems to be a great tractor. It's nice to have AC/heat and radio.

turklilley":338270yk said:
It's the tire pressure. I run about 12 psi in my ag tires. Liquid ballast smooths the ride also.
Can I let the air pressure down to around 15 lbs. without any liquid in there?

Mine rode rough today too but it has nothing to do with tire pressure and all about ant hills and holes. Just as with autos, the longer and wider the smoother the ride. I suppose ground hardness and tire pressure do play a part too.

tncattle":27de0p8y said:
turklilley":27de0p8y said:
It's the tire pressure. I run about 12 psi in my ag tires. Liquid ballast smooths the ride also.
Can I let the air pressure down to around 15 lbs. without any liquid in there?
Check the sidewall and see what the manufacturer says. I run mine 90% full of water(front and back) and the PSI about 2 pounds under the sidewall rating but I don't have turf tires.

We have a Kubota 7040. Also rides rough. Have played with different pressures. Fluid filled rears. Do many of y'all run fluid in fronts w a loader

On my Massey 165, when I have the turf tires on I air down to 4 PSI.. rides like a cadillac.. None of my tires ever have more than 15psi, big tires usually have 7-12 PSI. Local tire shop always airs them up to the sidewall rating and it's MISERABLE

ClinchValley":16jp0yj8 said:
We have a Kubota 7040. Also rides rough. Have played with different pressures. Fluid filled rears. Do many of y'all run fluid in fronts w a loader
I do in the biggest 4x4 tractor but if doing it again I wouldn't do it again.

kenny thomas":2gai3hij said:
1982vett":2gai3hij said:
Holy carp! Should have used the big rake today. Baled 20 acres by myself today and I'm whupped.
You might not be 20 year old any more.
:lol: ya got that right. Kinda understand why Dad was ok with cutting only 5 to 10 acres at a time.

1982vett":3iixbkss said:
kenny thomas":3iixbkss said:
1982vett":3iixbkss said:
Holy carp! Should have used the big rake today. Baled 20 acres by myself today and I'm whupped.
:lol: ya got that right. Kinda understand why Dad was ok with cutting only 5 to 10 acres at a time.
But back then an acre a hour was cutting good.

I thing the best invention ever (well, at least a dammed good one) is ride control. My last NH had ride control plumbed into the loader and it took a huge amount of the bounce out of the tractor. My new one doesn't have this option, but I am considering seeing what it would cost to add it. Really, it's just an accumulator (nitrogen filled on one side I think?) on the lift rams of the loader. Who would have thought it would make such a difference? I learned to appreciate this option when I used to run some rubber tired backhoes, and it was nice to see it carry forward to farm tractors. I don't see why I fella couldn't add it to any loader really.

kenny thomas":jw6nyhy2 said:
1982vett":jw6nyhy2 said:
kenny thomas":jw6nyhy2 said:
But back then an acre a hour was cutting good.

Yeah I remember the 7 ft cut sickle mower on a 530 John Deer tractor circa 1970. Take all day to travel 5 miles and cut 10 acres.

I have a NH 472.. 7 foot sickle... Looking to go to a 9' sickle though.. I cut 10 acres in about 3 hours, give or take depending on the stand and the shape of the field

I have a Kubota M6800 that rides pretty rough as I have the tire pressure down which helps some. My m9000 has 34 inch tires with solid weighted wheels behind and the wheels set out some and it ride pretty smooth. It is longer than the m6800 also.

Latest posts