°$$_&-7-&&&&### heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve":2hfiqucu said:
What is the easiest way to secure a cow before putting hobbles on it?

1)A head restraint (+)
2)Ain't got one bit that apparatus that's called "cow can't kick" or something like that looks promising. That electro deal you shove up their arse also seems to work. Or if you have a good tail man you really trust you'd have it licked.

Stocker Steve":rfpl13wd said:
What is the easiest way to secure a cow before putting hobbles on it?
We don't use hobbles but put them in a chute and my husband secures & holds a giant crowbar thingy (he calls it an idiot stick) in front of their hind legs while I work on the cow (for mastitis, getting a calf latched on, etc).

Little one looks pretty happy with her bottle. :D
Don't care for the assorted commercial "anti kick" devices due to the possibility of nerve/tissue damage. Prefer a rope noose around the ankle hand held or secured in a quick release fashion with enough tension to prevent kicking but not so much as to cause her fight or worse, go down.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":18bl7goc said:
Great job saving the calf!!
You can put a rope in front of the hip bones, down, around cow in front of her udder, synch up tight, real tight! She cannot lift her hind legs.
works the same way as the "can't kick" clamp, but has the same problem that it can make them fall over.. Never works if you're trying to cast them deliberately of course!

Calf looks happy there Sky!

Nesikep":z8m28cfx said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":z8m28cfx said:
Great job saving the calf!!
You can put a rope in front of the hip bones, down, around cow in front of her udder, synch up tight, real tight! She cannot lift her hind legs.
works the same way as the "can't kick" clamp, but has the same problem that it can make them fall over.. Never works if you're trying to cast them deliberately of course!

Calf looks happy there Sky!

I let her walk around the yard and pastures with me I ordered her a halter

a large adjustable dog collar works well on a calf , verses a halter easier to grab as they run by , good save on your calf
Suzanne

suzorse":2ewjpxts said:
a large adjustable dog collar works well on a calf , verses a halter easier to grab as they run by , good save on your calf
Suzanne

That's what I have now a big pink dog collar and a horse rope