Sonora

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22550
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Sonora

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:17 pm

Wednesday I am getting hauled out there for a geriatric Axis hunt. One of my younger working buddies owns a large ranch out there.
He is picking me up Wednesday morning to go hunt for a trophy axis.
3 x

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16434
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Sonora

Postby greybeard » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:05 pm

Sutton County Steakhouse is the best place to eat in Sonora......but that ain't saying a whole lot.
It was pretty pricey for steaks when I stopped there last fall.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7190
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Sonora

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:17 am

I just came thru there yesterday. I like that country all along 10... Kerrville, Junction, Ozona, Sonora, all the way to Ft Stockton. Some of it has been getting rain and looks pretty decent.

Last time, I was in a hotel in Junction when a big storm came thru. The thunder bouncing thru those canyons sounded wild.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16434
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Sonora

Postby greybeard » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:14 pm

Brute, the road (163/67) from Ozona almost all the way into San Angelo sure has a lot more oilfield businesses on it than it did when I left there in 06. Things must have picked up out that way..
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7190
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Sonora

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:19 pm

greybeard wrote:Brute, the road (163/67) from Ozona almost all the way into San Angelo sure has a lot more oilfield businesses on it than it did when I left there in 06. Things must have picked up out that way..


Its crazy out there. I believe the Permian became the largest producing oil field in the world this year passing up some field in SA. It would be the #3 largest OPEC producer if it was its own country. If you have ever been out that way and seen all the pump jacks... now picture super pads in between all that. The bad deal is... the companies are just securing acreage. They are having to slow down drilling due to lack of infrastructure to get the oil and gas out of the area.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22550
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Sonora

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Brute 23 wrote:I just came thru there yesterday. I like that country all along 10... Kerrville, Junction, Ozona, Sonora, all the way to Ft Stockton. Some of it has been getting rain and looks pretty decent.

Last time, I was in a hotel in Junction when a big storm came thru. The thunder bouncing thru those canyons sounded wild.



Yep and the dry drainage ditch they call a creek turns into the Trinity river with a one inch rain.
1 x

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7190
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Sonora

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:00 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I just came thru there yesterday. I like that country all along 10... Kerrville, Junction, Ozona, Sonora, all the way to Ft Stockton. Some of it has been getting rain and looks pretty decent.

Last time, I was in a hotel in Junction when a big storm came thru. The thunder bouncing thru those canyons sounded wild.



Yep and the dry drainage ditch they call a creek turns into the Trinity river with a one inch rain.


Yup. Pretty sure I drove over a dry creek bed that said Guadalupe River.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16434
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Sonora

Postby greybeard » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:23 pm

I've seen Dry Devils River roll and rage......but not for long.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!


Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1982vett and 1 guest