Uhhhhh Johnson grass??

Help Support CattleToday:

Its helped out a lot in our dry situation this year. My haygrazer was thin but the JG filled it in and kept on growing as the haygrazer started wilting out. I turned the whole herd into it and it really added some weight to them.

As long as its hot and dry, its pretty safe. Once it gets drought stressed and then rained on is when you can have a problem.

We love it here , hay or pasture , but I would rather have a whole field of it rather than here and there in a hayfield . When there is a solid stand, it's easier to manage . If it outgrows other grasses ,they may be ready to bale and it still needs to cure.

I have a love/hate relationship with Johnson grass. Yes, cows love to graze it. But I hate when it's in the bales. Despite numerous attempts to kill it, it still permeates part of the brome fields and is all around the perimeter of the Bermuda (formerly alfalfa). When that gets in the bales it's so stemmy either they wont eat it or end up with mouth sores & eye abrasions. And yes, there's always the possibility of prussic poisoning but conditions have to be just right and we shut off pastures with Johnson grass after a frost and when there's new growth.

Johnson grass is a pain especially when it starts to take a field over. I had some come up last year in one pasture and when I turned the cows in it was the first thing they ate. Pretty sure the best way to get rid of it is to let cows graze it.

ddd75":2j4rqw0q said:
i don't care what grows as long as they eat it.

Some kind of very wiry stemmed, close to the ground, dark green, single root for large ground covering plant with little white flowers with purple and yellow that hits here about this time of the year. Cows love it so I leave it. Doesn't interfere with spring grasses......kida like them reaching up and pruning the trees (looks nice) where they can reach.....they eat what they want.

Texasmark":29yqzpnh said:
ddd75":29yqzpnh said:

Some kind of very wiry stemmed, close to the ground, dark green, single root for large ground covering plant with little white flowers with purple and yellow that hits here about this time of the year. Cows love it so I leave it. Doesn't interfere with spring grasses......kida like them reaching up and pruning the trees (looks nice) where they can reach.....they eat what they want.
Passion Flower?

https://www.google.com/search?safe=acti ... qTlS_pPpcM:

Colors may differ but the vine generally look about the same.

1982vett":28osfjek said:
Texasmark":28osfjek said:
ddd75":28osfjek said:

Passion Flower?

https://www.google.com/search?safe=acti ... qTlS_pPpcM:

Colors may differ but the vine generally look about the same.
I remember those flowers (and recently had a CT discussion about them and their Maypop fruit). Their flowers aren't little. I remember them being about 2-2 1/2" diameter.

Dogs and Cows":3klk0qcs said:
Texasmark":3klk0qcs said:
ddd75":3klk0qcs said:

Korean Lespideza?

Thanks, I'll www it and check it out.

M-5":15iyyd2f said:
Texasmark":15iyyd2f said:
Dogs and Cows":15iyyd2f said:
Ever find out what the plant was Mark?

Just checked it out and no sir that's not it. Thanks for the reference.
Most likely dove weed.

google: Doveweed is a summer annual with fleshy, creeping stems. It has parallel veins and a somewhat grass- like appearance. The leaves are alternate, narrow......

Nope. leaves are small and sorta rounded. Stems are woody, single, deep (carrot-like but ⅜" in diameter) root for a plant with a canopy of 10" give or take. Only emerges late in the summer, like now. Thanks for the hit.