Never seen this..

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Never seen this..

Postby Lazy M » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:35 pm

https://lexington.craigslist.org/grd/d/ ... 59175.html
Maybe this is a common device but I've never seen one. $200+ is costly but some might be interested if it works..
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Never seen this..

Postby greybeard » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:49 pm

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=102804&p
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=101810&p

Moocall monitors your pregnant cow so that you can get on with running your farm. Don't worry, when she needs you, we'll let you know. Moocall is a tail mounted calving sensor with GPS that enables a calving cow to send you an sms text alert approximately 1 hour before she calves. Moocall will detect & record her activity to accurately determine when she will most likely calf. Then they send an SMS alert to up to 2 phones to ensure that you can be present when calving occurs, usually about 1 hour prior to calving. We monitor her contractions to accurately determine when she will most likely calf. Then we send an SMS alert to up to 2 phones to ensure that you can be present when calving occurs, usually about 1 hour prior to calving. We also send email and app notifications to give you that extra layer of cover. Moocall is a tail mounted motion sensor. It measures tail movement to accurately predict the onset of calving. All the customer needs to do is activate their device either online or by phoning Moocall. Then simply charge the device overnight, turn it on by holding the power button for 4 seconds and put it on the cows tail opposite the vulva. Important not to put it overtight on the tail. The data, unlimited texts, software updates and support for one year are included in the price of the unit. After the year is up the charge for the annual fee to cover data, software, service and support costs is approx. $136.00 annually. This charge is payable annually and there is no charge for the first year.

https://www.amazon.com/MOOCALL-Calving- ... B01M0PS6VQ
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:05 am

Oh please......
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:56 am

Pretty popular in Europe, especially Ireland, UK. And most seem to like it a lot. Consider having one or two in the future.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:14 am

The AI companies are promoting them for the dairy farmers.
0 x

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:19 am

For the guy who has everything. Christmas is coming!
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:39 am

That’d be extremely pricey during calving season to outfit everything that should be calving within a week.

I guess ideal on a much smaller scale. We babysit ours during calving.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:29 pm

From what I understand, you not only purchase the MooCall gadget, you also have to pay a yearly fee for the service.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:45 pm

I've been thinking of designing one.. you can get a heart rate monitor/blood O2 chip for about $5.. an Arduino (microcomputer) is about $5, and a wifi adapter (another $5)... would give you a pretty good start to making one.. 3D printed box and some velcro strap.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:34 pm

Nesikep wrote:I've been thinking of designing one.. you can get a heart rate monitor/blood O2 chip for about $5.. an Arduino (microcomputer) is about $5, and a wifi adapter (another $5)... would give you a pretty good start to making one.. 3D printed box and some velcro strap.

Doesn’t it just monitor the movement of the tale? You could just get a cheap step counter that you could monitor. For us, we have WiFi at the barn.

I wouldn’t go thru the hassle but that’s a lot cheaper than $300 per. If you could manipulate it to stay on.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:41 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:
Nesikep wrote:I've been thinking of designing one.. you can get a heart rate monitor/blood O2 chip for about $5.. an Arduino (microcomputer) is about $5, and a wifi adapter (another $5)... would give you a pretty good start to making one.. 3D printed box and some velcro strap.

Doesn’t it just monitor the movement of the tale? You could just get a cheap step counter that you could monitor. For us, we have WiFi at the barn.

I wouldn’t go thru the hassle but that’s a lot cheaper than $300 per. If you could manipulate it to stay on.

another couple bucks buys a 9 axis accelerometer/gyrometer/compass... I'm not sure how the official Moocalls work but you'd think heart rate and blood O2 would be really good indicators
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”