Making a tire tank with existing pond

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
Just had a pond built and like and idiot I forgot to lay a pipe in the dam, to fill a tire tank I want to build. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this. Thought but going and getting some 1 inch metal pipe and trying to push it thru the dam with a tractor. The pond doesn't have any water in it yet, supposed to rain and of this week so this is pretty time sensitive

How deep do you need the pipe to be? You could use a ditch witch to take care of most of the driving work. Cut a trench through the dam or if one side is holding water, don't cut the trench all the way to the end holding water. Drive it through from that point forward. I like the idea of flattening or crimping the end.

Putting a pipe in an existing pond is easy. Need a backhoe, not a 6600, at least in Missouri.
Dig about 1/3 of the way in the pond dam down to the level you want your pipe to come out in the pond.
Put a 2x12 board level on the trench, lay pipe down on board and push. Put a cap on the end.
Pipe must be cut in 7 ' lenghts or they will bend when the pushing gets tough. Done it hundreds of times.
gs

Got to thinkin'. If you crimp the end, it would have to be perfectly in the center, or the pipe would have a tendency to go up or down as you push. We've pushed 180' on time in a pond full of water, and came out 2' lower than we wanted. It will push level if the starting point is level. gs

plumber_greg":3jxg1dsa said:
Putting a pipe in an existing pond is easy. Need a backhoe, not a 6600, at least in Missouri.
Dig about 1/3 of the way in the pond dam down to the level you want your pipe to come out in the pond.
Put a 2x12 board level on the trench, lay pipe down on board and push. Put a cap on the end.
Pipe must be cut in 7 ' lenghts or they will bend when the pushing gets tough. Done it hundreds of times.
gs

So once you get the pipe pushed in how do you get the cap off of the pond has water in it ? I have a pond and wanting to get a line in it so I can fence off the pond.

I've installed tire tanks below the dam of existing (full) ponds... just ran a waterline over the dam, and siphon water to the tank. Buried about 4"... not deep enough for some of y'all, but it rarely freezes solid here for long... and even if it does... during winter, there's generally enough water flowing through ditches/wet-weather creeks that the cows have access to plenty of water.

pricefarm":rpe9vb8u said:
plumber_greg":rpe9vb8u said:
gs

So once you get the pipe pushed in how do you get the cap off of the pond has water in it ? I have a pond and wanting to get a line in it so I can fence off the pond.

We did exactly like Greg described.. just went swimming with a pipe wrench to remove the cap.

If you're close to the edge of the water take a sharpened thin post/pole/log and push it thru the dam where you want it, attach your pipe to it and then pull it thru from the pond side. Someones gotta get wet. I've seen them use steel pipe to push thru too, but you need a point on it. And make sure your pipe is well attached. Pull it thru far enough you can work with it above surface.

Have used excavators for this in the past.

Guys, drill a bunch of 1/4 " holes in the first pipe you push in. When you get to the water the mud will look like rat turds coming out of the pipe. That's when you know to stop pushing.
I used to worry that all the pipes I saw in ponds had a vertical pipe on them. Then I wondered why. No one had an answer, just the way they always saw it. Think about it. It doesn't really matter to the water how it gets in the pipe.
Don't go swimming, ever, I can't even do that.
Gotta' have a transit to tell how deep the water is where you want to come out. Get a boat, don't try to hold a transit stick while swimming.
Go to the back side and find the same elevation, dig and level a hole, get a board, and start pushing with someone standing on the pipe. Remember, 7' lengths, any longer and they will bend. Galvinized pipe comes in 21' lengths, so that's where I get 7. We tried to push 10 and a half, but after a couple they bent. Have a valve ready and open, you can screw it on, and shut it, you will not lose 2 quarts of water.
E-mail is good if you need any advice. It sounds like a big deal, but really it's not to push a pipe in an existing pond. gs

Latest posts