Snake problem

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Been having a snake problem around my chicken coop and have been relocating them but they just keep coming back. Last straw came when one gave my daughter a big scare. Its one thing to scare me but its another when you mess with my daughter so something had to be done. Since I didn't want to kill them for risk of offending those who think snakes are such cute and cuddly creatures I had to come up with a more humane plan. One that involved logic and understanding of snakes and their feelings.

While thinking on this I was reminded of the old saying about the way to feed a man is not to give him a fish but to teach him how to fish. With that in mind I thought a distractive hobby might do the trick. Something like golf. Some people seem to be hooked on golf and will spend hours on a golf course doing nothing but chasing a little white ball around. Seemed reasonable snakes would do the same so I placed a golf ball on each nest and this morning all the golf balls are gone and the nests are filled with eggs. I'm so glad that snakes are reasonable creatures but I can't help but wonder what their handicap might be.

Jogeephus":sghbx3t0 said:
Been having a snake problem around my chicken coop and have been relocating them but they just keep coming back. Last straw came when one gave my daughter a big scare. Its one thing to scare me but its another when you mess with my daughter so something had to be done. Since I didn't want to kill them for risk of offending those who think snakes are such cute and cuddly creatures I had to come up with a more humane plan. One that involved logic and understanding of snakes and their feelings.

While thinking on this I was reminded of the old saying about the way to feed a man is not to give him a fish but to teach him how to fish. With that in mind I thought a distractive hobby might do the trick. Something like golf. Some people seem to be hooked on golf and will spend hours on a golf course doing nothing but chasing a little white ball around. Seemed reasonable snakes would do the same so I placed a golf ball on each nest and this morning all the golf balls are gone and the nests are filled with eggs. I'm so glad that snakes are reasonable creatures but I can't help but wonder what their handicap might be.

:lol2: :lol2: That a boy Joe.

Personally I just kill them. It doesn't matter what others think. It is between me and the snake. As of about 8:00 last night there is one less rattle snake in Baker County.

Jogeephus":b5ijrssq said:

Pretty sure only snowflakes worry about offending snowflakes.

Last nights research proved that a 22 with snake shot is an effective measure in dealing with general snake issues.

ez14.":7n9x9x92 said:
wbvs58":7n9x9x92 said:
I thought you were going to relocate the snakes to the golf course.

Ken
That's where I thought the story was going

Nah, my relocation efforts have proved futile and I'm not in a habit of arming myself to check the chickens. I like this golf ball thing because it works 24/7 and so far the snakes seem to be busy playing golf.

Speaking of relocating snakes you might get a chuckle out of this. I sure did. Don't know if you are familiar with Black Racers but they are nonvenomous snakes that are very quick and do bite but the bite isn't anything to worry about. Once we caught one of these and stuffed it in a woman's purse and set the purse on top of a car parked on the side of the road and sat back and watched. A car drove by and slowed with the occupants breaking their necks when they spied the purse. It slowed down then made a U-turn and came back and slowed again and a fella jumped out of the back seat of the car and nicked the purse and got back into the car and they began to speed away. Didn't take but a few seconds before the driver slammed on the brakes and four guys bailed out of the car leaving it to roll unoccupied into the right of way. We almost wet ourselves laughing as we watched them win their stupid prize.

Jogeephus":2whwcx1f said:
ez14.":2whwcx1f said:
wbvs58":2whwcx1f said:
I thought you were going to relocate the snakes to the golf course.

Ken
That's where I thought the story was going

Nah, my relocation efforts have proved futile and I'm not in a habit of arming myself to check the chickens. I like this golf ball thing because it works 24/7 and so far the snakes seem to be busy playing golf.

Speaking of relocating snakes you might get a chuckle out of this. I sure did. Don't know if you are familiar with Black Racers but they are nonvenomous snakes that are very quick and do bite but the bite isn't anything to worry about. Once we caught one of these and stuffed it in a woman's purse and set the purse on top of a car parked on the side of the road and sat back and watched. A car drove by and slowed with the occupants breaking their necks when they spied the purse. It slowed down then made a U-turn and came back and slowed again and a fella jumped out of the back seat of the car and nicked the purse and got back into the car and they began to speed away. Didn't take but a few seconds before the driver slammed on the brakes and four guys bailed out of the car leaving it to roll unoccupied into the right of way. We almost wet ourselves laughing as we watched them win their stupid prize.
We have blue racers around here. A few years ago we had a blue racer that had to be about record size that was terrorizing the neighborhood we found part of the shed skin and it measured close to 6 ft

Googled the blue and it sounds similar to ours. They sure look like they can travel much faster than they actually do.

Alot of people can't handle them but I love them, I have guinea fowls, had them for years. I used to have copperhead everywhere. Since the guineas run loose, no more snakes at all. They keep them away.

BK9954":138quxb8 said:
Alot of people can't handle them but I love them, I have guinea fowls, had them for years. I used to have copperhead everywhere. Since the guineas run loose, no more snakes at all. They keep them away.

We thought about getting some guineas when we moved here. After killing two rattlers in the yard a week and a half ago the idea has resurfaced some.

Dave":14npvhfq said:
BK9954":14npvhfq said:

We thought about getting some guineas when we moved here. After killing two rattlers in the yard a week and a half ago the idea has resurfaced some.

Still have the rattlesnakes here, the guineas have become varmit turds.

Caustic Burno":1r2wapla said:
Dave":1r2wapla said:
BK9954":1r2wapla said:

Still have the rattlesnakes here, the guineas have become varmit turds.

Probably just shoot by your neighbors

Latest posts