Culling cows

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Culling cows

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:58 am

BRYANT wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
BRYANT wrote:I over looked the 990.00 sell price you are selling for. I bet them are not 1 and done cows if you have pasture why sell a good cow for 1000.0 when she can produce 1500 .00 in two years and probably be good for more than that.

Because you are a good marketer -- looking at the difference between the sell and the buy - - buying back am animal that will make you more money, is worth more, or both. I cull on two or more strikes unless I really really like her heifers:

1) One reason is seasonal pricing--sell when prices are higher in early summer and buy back when they are low in fall.
2) One reason is feed consumption - - sell big uns and buy back more moderate sized.
3) One is longivity - - sell short term cows as pairs, and buy back younger cows that should last longer. Bud Williams used to use a value of $100 per calf.
4) One reason is calving window - - sell late calvers and buy back cows that will calve earlier and wean bigger calves on less feed.

If you keep a cow long enough, she may become worth more to you than anyone else, but there were probably points in the past where a trade would have been to your advantage. I have a couple cows every fall that I have kept too long.

sounds more like you are a trader than a cow/calf operation. The first post was talking about people that raise cattle keeping a cow from start to finish. but from what you are saying you are making a lot off of cattle like what I am talking about.
another example is what bird dog just said
bird dog wrote:Well Bryant, going into this time of year with a shortage of hay in a lot of places, I'm sure you can have all of them you want. The one and done's work if you have pasture, hay, silage or another cheap feed source. Most folks don't, and thats why they are selling. They will only get cheaper going into winter. Those long breds selling just before Christmas are usually the best deal.
read my post I said ''if you have pasture'' or hay then no reason to sell these older cows that still raise a good calf.
What made me start this is the cow I just sold that I bought as some ones cull that the cattle sell called a 7yr. old , was probably older than that, I paid around 700.00 +/- for her bred raised a total of 7 calves before she stopped breeding. she would calve every 11-12 months. and she aint the fist cull I have did that with. Mater of fact I like it when people ''CULL HARD'' because I am in the process of changing what I do and just start running these culls till they are done. This year I have sold some nice young heifers for way more than it will cost me to buy some ones culls. Yes there comes a time when a cow is done and needs to be culled but some cull them when there is still a lot of money to be made off them.

Why not just roll them every year? I buy bred cows and roll the majority every year besides the one's I feel are the best. When you don't know the sire of the calf it's a crap shoot, some you win some you don't. I usually end up keeping about 20% of what I buy to replace older cows that are wearing out but still have good value.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:31 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Why not just roll them every year? I buy bred cows and roll the majority every year besides the one's I feel are the best. When you don't know the sire of the calf it's a crap shoot, some you win some you don't. I usually end up keeping about 20% of what I buy to replace older cows that are wearing out but still have good value.

I think there is money to be made doing that and its kind of what I am planning to start doing, because I live so far away from my place. there is such a price difference now between what a 450 calf and a cow till I cant see raising a heifer and making a cow out of her and not keeping her till she is wore out ???? market may be different in different places ????
Its kind of like a PU some people trade them in when there is a good trade- value others drive them till they aint worth much. me when I sell it , its about time for the scrap yard. This is a big subject and a lot of factors go into it. I also look at trading cattle as a big difference than a cow/calf operation. There is a big investment and a lot of risk in getting that first calf on the ground. it has been interesting to see how different people operate in the different markets.
2 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:20 pm

BRYANT wrote: Its kind of like a PU some people trade them in when there is a good trade- value others drive them till they aint worth much. me when I sell it , its about time for the scrap yard. This is a big subject and a lot of factors go into it. I also look at trading cattle as a big difference than a cow/calf operation. There is a big investment and a lot of risk in getting that first calf on the ground. it has been interesting to see how different people operate in the different markets.
[/quote]
Great analogy, Bryant!

With my old girls, I typically have an incredibly long lineage of daughters/granddaughters even great-granddaughters. "Typically" because one of them has given me only bull calves: she's always one of the first to calve, her steer is usually the biggest one I wean, she/her calves are incredibly docile, love everything about her. Would it kill her to give me a heifer?!?!

That said, I'm culling hard this year and all the late ones (after Spring calving) are being sold as pairs when I wean in Oct as well as a couple of young cows that are good mamas but I just don't feel the love. Even selling a 7 year old I really like but treated for mastitis (she's fine now but not worth the risk).
1 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”