Get insurance up to date.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ebenezer":2kmofxri said:
greybeard":2kmofxri said:
Ebenezer":2kmofxri said:
Sort of on the subject and very sorry for your loss. Insurance: if you sell meat from the farm or as cuts, be sure that your insurance covers that type of activity.
I'm curious..What kind of liability ins would one get for that kind of thing?
If one were selling "Farm Fresh Eggs" for instance, and someone claimed they got salmonella from them, would they need that kind of liability insurance?

"Local Honey"?
Yes. Yes. If your policy is a straight beef cattle policy it does not cover selling cuts. If chickens are a backyard venture and policy says beef then you are skating on thin ice to begin. It is a cruel world on a lot of this stuff.

As I said, was just curious. I don't sell either to the public but your answer is about what I presumed it would be. I know several people who do sell veggies, eggs, and honey etc direct to public (flea markets and farmer markets) and I'm pretty sure none of them have a bit of insurance specifically for this.

My son got a concussion in school. A student had tipped him back in his chair and he hit radiator first (from a highback chair) and then the floor. He was taken to the ER and has had two follow up visits. He has one more this week but will continue to have them until he is released from injury. My ex-FIL who has been an agent for 20+ years said that re-cooping the bills from the students parents would be difficult unless they have renters (I know they don't own) insurance because that actually carries over into liability since he's young. I am doubtful they have renters insurance either. Regardless, bills are high and he's maxed out our deductible.

But according to my ex FIL, our policy would cover my husband hitting a guy on the golf course with a ball, if that person was injured. That our policy follows us everywhere. I would ASSUME that all these questions regarding someone getting sick from your farm to table food would also be the same?

NEFarmwife":2esx6v7f said:
My son got a concussion in school. A student had tipped him back in his chair and he hit radiator first (from a highback chair) and then the floor. He was taken to the ER and has had two follow up visits. He has one more this week but will continue to have them until he is released from injury. My ex-FIL who has been an agent for 20+ years said that re-cooping the bills from the students parents would be difficult unless they have renters (I know they don't own) insurance because that actually carries over into liability since he's young. I am doubtful they have renters insurance either. Regardless, bills are high and he's maxed out our deductible.

But according to my ex FIL, our policy would cover my husband hitting a guy on the golf course with a ball, if that person was injured. That our policy follows us everywhere. I would ASSUME that all these questions regarding someone getting sick from your farm to table food would also be the same?
If you invited them to eat your food you would be covered. If you sold it to them, then it is considered a business endeavor and would most likely be excluded.

NEFarmwife":2xp1hm17 said:

The difference is the golf ball incident is considered Personal Liability. Selling meat to someone would under a business type of liability insurance. Incidentally, the type of liability insurance on a Renters policy is "personal liability"....the same as under a homeowners policy. Not a lot of difference.

Gators Rule":3ql80lij said:
snoopdog":3ql80lij said:
That is so sad . And what makes it worse are the small items , that can't really be accounted for but will take years to replace .

Very true. When I meet with a client on property insurance, I recommend they take videos of all open drawers, inside every box, and all open closets. Don't store the video at your home though. When insuring a home, I would estimate that you'll have more money tied up in items under $50 than you'll total in items over $50. It's fairly easy to list when you watch your videos.

Very good advice! Years ago, when I was a renter, my insurance agent gave me similar advice. So I photographed my apartment, all the walls in each room, drawers etc. I kept the photos in a safe deposit box.

Sorry for your misfortunes. That is BS that a human being would be that heartless of someone else's property. I had to use my farm policy recently when my Polaris caught fire while checking cows with my son. Like stated above review your policy once a year and update it as needed.

LDEnterprises":2j5c49rd said:
Sorry for your misfortunes. That is BS that a human being would be that heartless of someone else's property. I had to use my farm policy recently when my Polaris caught fire while checking cows with my son. Like stated above review your policy once a year and update it as needed.

Neighbor had one do the exact same thing back in May. Checking cows. Middle of the pasture. Said he smelled smoke and by the time it stopped it was fully engulfed. FWIW, his was a diesel Ranger. Wonder if this is common with them or just coincidental due to the sheer numbers of UTVs that are out there?

I started to change insurance companies and ended up telling them to forget it. I think the other company really had a better policy and coverage then the on I've been with but I had some questions and couldn't get a call back from them. I feel it isn't a company problem but an agency problem, I need to do some more looking and see what else is available.

Latest posts