New AI Sires now require testing.

Help Support CattleToday:

LCBulls

Reaction score

Looks like the whole debacle With 3F Epic testing positive for NH will result in changes made to testing AI Sires going forward.

I don't want to jack your post …. but Epic obviously off of ABS website, off of Origen, not off of Express website. I assume he was getting heavy use still around the country and has caused a mess.

Who takes his place, or maybe better stated, what bull benefits most from Epic's quick departure??

torogmc81":1bwv7v7m said:
I don't want to jack your post …. but Epic obviously off of ABS website, off of Origen, not off of Express website. I assume he was getting heavy use still around the country and has caused a mess.

Who takes his place, or maybe better stated, what bull benefits most from Epic's quick departure??

1.EXAR Monumental
2.Jindra Acclaim( his progeny of ours weren't to my liking)

torogmc81":1u213ba0 said:

There's always a better one, ...always. Just wait.

Dixie2542":6oy7sxuv said:
What dI'd you not like about Acclaim progeny? Curious because I was thinking of using him this fall...
Top sale was an Acclaim daughter at a sale I attended last night. There were two daughters. I didn't feel that she was the best female there in terms of looks but her numbers were there and she was the lead off.

Dixie2542":kl4h1ez6 said:
What dI'd you not like about Acclaim progeny? Curious because I was thinking of using him this fall...

I just don't like their shape at all. They are very long legged and super feminine.
They don't have very much bone and to me remind me of Elk or deer.
They have an almost unbeatable EPD profile, but in my opinion don't live up to the hype for growth either.
They were definitely Calving Ease. I just think that there are much better cattle out there. I just think he's a "Paper" bull.
Of all the Sires we used,his progeny were the most disappointing to us.
To be fair though, some people might not like our type and kind of cattle. We have a very large influence of our Cowherd by Coleman,SAV, OCC.
We used him to improve some of our numbers and that definitely worked.

LCBulls":1bktio3g said:

Looks like the whole debacle With 3F Epic testing positive for NH will result in changes made to testing AI Sires going forward.

Long overdue. I couldn't understand why AI bulls -- and any bull used for purebred breeding for that matter -- weren't required to be tested for all genetic defects.

I'm not familiar with the Angus policies but has the Angus not been requiring DNA testing for known defects for any bull that would sire calves that can be registered prior to this?

SPH":1s68ffqe said:
I'm not familiar with the Angus policies but has the Angus not been requiring DNA testing for known defects for any bull that would sire calves that can be registered prior to this?

Basically, any AI sire thats Pedigree was not supposed to have any Defects, or their ancestors tested free of them were not required to be tested.
3F Epic tested positive for NH (Neuropathic Hydrocephaly) and had been passing it on to thousands of progeny. They have now decided that any AI Sire born after 2018 will require all Genetic Testing be done before AI certificates can be sold.

LCBulls":9qrfgdaj said:
SPH":9qrfgdaj said:

Basically, any AI sire thats Pedigree was not supposed to have any Defects, or their ancestors tested free of them were not required to be tested.
3F Epic tested positive for NH (Neuropathic Hydrocephaly) and had been passing it on to thousands of progeny. They have now decided that any AI Sire born after 2018 will require all Genetic Testing be done before AI certificates can be sold.
Sad part - they still register and allow sale of cattle with a P for possible carrier and I they probably allow tested carriers to still sell as registered. Follow the money.

When I looked at Epics pedigree, I noticed on the dams side, there were several listed as either NHC or NHP but that stopped as the pedigree got closer. I'm wondering why the future pedigree has not continued to list them atleast as an NHP?

NEFarmwife":2rmseqrt said:
When I looked at Epics pedigree, I noticed on the dams side, there were several listed as either NHC or NHP but that stopped as the pedigree got closer. I'm wondering why the future pedigree has not continued to list them atleast as an NHP?

That's because once the pedigree gets to a NHF. That means that they were "Free" of the defect. So if it came from Epics bottom side of the pedigree, then his pedigree is wrong on the bottom somewhere.
If it came from the Sire Side, ( most likely to me) then one of the Sires or Dams is incorrect on his this part of the pedigree.
Once tested as "Free" there is 0 percent chance of passing it along.

Ebenezer":3ek4tbn5 said:
LCBulls":3ek4tbn5 said:
SPH":3ek4tbn5 said:

Sad part - they still register and allow sale of cattle with a P for possible carrier and I they probably allow tested carriers to still sell as registered. Follow the money.

Any cattle that were NHC were not able to be registered. I think your thinking of "DD"
Developmental Duplication.
There might be some NHP(potentials) that were registered prior to them finding out about 3F Epic. It will take some time to test all of Epics progeny and find out which ones are carriers.

What does AAA require for ET donor cows for defect testing? Guess I am a bit surprised that all breed associations aren't requiring mandatory DNA tests for defects with sires and ET donors at this point with the technology that is available. The Herefords have required testing on all bulls born after Jan 1, 2011 before their progeny can be registered including AI sires and ET donor dams. I know if you go back through Hereford pedigrees a lot of older sires have defect test results in their pedigrees too when some of the HY, IE, and Dilutor defects started to pop up and the association and breeders wanted to find the animal that was the source of it. I would not be surprised if there comes a day when any animal male or female that you want to register will be required to be DNA tested across any breed when you see stories like this one. These kind of things really damage reputations and hurt breeds when it could have been prevented before an animal was used heavily across many programs and herds.

SPH":3bg6kljw said:
What does AAA require for ET donor cows for defect testing? Guess I am a bit surprised that all breed associations aren't requiring mandatory DNA tests for defects with sires and ET donors at this point with the technology that is available. The Herefords have required testing on all bulls born after Jan 1, 2011 before their progeny can be registered including AI sires and ET donor dams. I know if you go back through Hereford pedigrees a lot of older sires have defect test results in their pedigrees too when some of the HY, IE, and Dilutor defects started to pop up and the association and breeders wanted to find the animal that was the source of it. I would not be surprised if there comes a day when any animal male or female that you want to register will be required to be DNA tested across any breed when you see stories like this one. These kind of things really damage reputations and hurt breeds when it could have been prevented before an animal was used heavily across many programs and herds.

Parentage (sire mandatory) and free of any potentional carrier defects.

NEFarmwife":3pt5bj9w said:
SPH":3pt5bj9w said:

So the AAA had stricter guidelines in place for donor females than they did AI sires? That's interesting

SPH":1ysrffl6 said:
NEFarmwife":1ysrffl6 said:
SPH":1ysrffl6 said:

So the AAA had stricter guidelines in place for donor females than they did AI sires? That's interesting

I believe only if you are selling embryos but yes... in order for anyone we sold embryos to, to have a registerable calf, those tests had to be done.

While we do have a few studs we have collected on and one of which is with Cattle Visions, I do not handle that side of things and is far beyond my understanding.

Latest posts