New AI Sires now require testing.

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
LCBulls
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:18 am

New AI Sires now require testing.

Postby LCBulls » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:08 pm

Image

Looks like the whole debacle With 3F Epic testing positive for NH will result in changes made to testing AI Sires going forward.
0 x

torogmc81
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1108
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:37 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: New AI Sires now require testing.

Postby torogmc81 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:38 pm

I don't want to jack your post …. but Epic obviously off of ABS website, off of Origen, not off of Express website. I assume he was getting heavy use still around the country and has caused a mess.

Who takes his place, or maybe better stated, what bull benefits most from Epic's quick departure??
0 x

LCBulls
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:18 am

Re: New AI Sires now require testing.

Postby LCBulls » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 pm

torogmc81 wrote:I don't want to jack your post …. but Epic obviously off of ABS website, off of Origen, not off of Express website. I assume he was getting heavy use still around the country and has caused a mess.

Who takes his place, or maybe better stated, what bull benefits most from Epic's quick departure??


1.EXAR Monumental
2.Jindra Acclaim( his progeny of ours weren’t to my liking)
0 x

Dixie2542
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Re: New AI Sires now require testing.

Postby Dixie2542 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:21 am

What dI'd you not like about Acclaim progeny? Curious because I was thinking of using him this fall...
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:46 pm

Re: New AI Sires now require testing.

Postby Ebenezer » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:14 am

torogmc81 wrote:I don't want to jack your post …. but Epic obviously off of ABS website, off of Origen, not off of Express website. I assume he was getting heavy use still around the country and has caused a mess.

Who takes his place, or maybe better stated, what bull benefits most from Epic's quick departure??

There's always a better one, ...always. Just wait.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: New AI Sires now require testing.

Postby NEFarmwife » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:27 am

Dixie2542 wrote:What dI'd you not like about Acclaim progeny? Curious because I was thinking of using him this fall...

Top sale was an Acclaim daughter at a sale I attended last night. There were two daughters. I didn’t feel that she was the best female there in terms of looks but her numbers were there and she was the lead off.
0 x

LCBulls
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:18 am

Re: New AI Sires now require testing.

Postby LCBulls » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:07 am

Dixie2542 wrote:What dI'd you not like about Acclaim progeny? Curious because I was thinking of using him this fall...


I just don’t like their shape at all. They are very long legged and super feminine.
They don’t have very much bone and to me remind me of Elk or deer.
They have an almost unbeatable EPD profile, but in my opinion don’t live up to the hype for growth either.
They were definitely Calving Ease. I just think that there are much better cattle out there. I just think he’s a “Paper” bull.
Of all the Sires we used,his progeny were the most disappointing to us.
To be fair though, some people might not like our type and kind of cattle. We have a very large influence of our Cowherd by Coleman,SAV, OCC.
We used him to improve some of our numbers and that definitely worked.
0 x

Dixie2542
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Re: New AI Sires now require testing.

Postby Dixie2542 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:30 pm

Thanks guys... I also like the shape of Coleman,SAV, OCC bloodlines...like em thick so I will definitely be mindful on who I use him on. I already ordered 5 straws a week ago so we'll see how it goes..
0 x

Luckiamute
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:25 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: New AI Sires now require testing.

Postby Luckiamute » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:33 am

LCBulls wrote:Image

Looks like the whole debacle With 3F Epic testing positive for NH will result in changes made to testing AI Sires going forward.


Long overdue. I couldn't understand why AI bulls -- and any bull used for purebred breeding for that matter -- weren't required to be tested for all genetic defects.
3 x

User avatar
SPH
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 523
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 8:47 pm
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: New AI Sires now require testing.

Postby SPH » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:33 pm

I'm not familiar with the Angus policies but has the Angus not been requiring DNA testing for known defects for any bull that would sire calves that can be registered prior to this?
0 x

LCBulls
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:18 am

Re: New AI Sires now require testing.

Postby LCBulls » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:14 am

SPH wrote:I'm not familiar with the Angus policies but has the Angus not been requiring DNA testing for known defects for any bull that would sire calves that can be registered prior to this?


Basically, any AI sire thats Pedigree was not supposed to have any Defects, or their ancestors tested free of them were not required to be tested.
3F Epic tested positive for NH (Neuropathic Hydrocephaly) and had been passing it on to thousands of progeny. They have now decided that any AI Sire born after 2018 will require all Genetic Testing be done before AI certificates can be sold.
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:46 pm

Re: New AI Sires now require testing.

Postby Ebenezer » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:13 am

LCBulls wrote:
SPH wrote:I'm not familiar with the Angus policies but has the Angus not been requiring DNA testing for known defects for any bull that would sire calves that can be registered prior to this?


Basically, any AI sire thats Pedigree was not supposed to have any Defects, or their ancestors tested free of them were not required to be tested.
3F Epic tested positive for NH (Neuropathic Hydrocephaly) and had been passing it on to thousands of progeny. They have now decided that any AI Sire born after 2018 will require all Genetic Testing be done before AI certificates can be sold.

Sad part - they still register and allow sale of cattle with a P for possible carrier and I they probably allow tested carriers to still sell as registered. Follow the money.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: New AI Sires now require testing.

Postby NEFarmwife » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:38 am

When I looked at Epics pedigree, I noticed on the dams side, there were several listed as either NHC or NHP but that stopped as the pedigree got closer. I’m wondering why the future pedigree has not continued to list them atleast as an NHP?
0 x

LCBulls
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:18 am

Re: New AI Sires now require testing.

Postby LCBulls » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:27 am

NEFarmwife wrote:When I looked at Epics pedigree, I noticed on the dams side, there were several listed as either NHC or NHP but that stopped as the pedigree got closer. I’m wondering why the future pedigree has not continued to list them atleast as an NHP?


That’s because once the pedigree gets to a NHF. That means that they were “Free” of the defect. So if it came from Epics bottom side of the pedigree, then his pedigree is wrong on the bottom somewhere.
If it came from the Sire Side, ( most likely to me) then one of the Sires or Dams is incorrect on his this part of the pedigree.
Once tested as “Free” there is 0 percent chance of passing it along.
0 x

LCBulls
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:18 am

Re: New AI Sires now require testing.

Postby LCBulls » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:35 am

Ebenezer wrote:
LCBulls wrote:
SPH wrote:I'm not familiar with the Angus policies but has the Angus not been requiring DNA testing for known defects for any bull that would sire calves that can be registered prior to this?


Basically, any AI sire thats Pedigree was not supposed to have any Defects, or their ancestors tested free of them were not required to be tested.
3F Epic tested positive for NH (Neuropathic Hydrocephaly) and had been passing it on to thousands of progeny. They have now decided that any AI Sire born after 2018 will require all Genetic Testing be done before AI certificates can be sold.

Sad part - they still register and allow sale of cattle with a P for possible carrier and I they probably allow tested carriers to still sell as registered. Follow the money.


Any cattle that were NHC were not able to be registered. I think your thinking of “DD”
Developmental Duplication.
There might be some NHP(potentials) that were registered prior to them finding out about 3F Epic. It will take some time to test all of Epics progeny and find out which ones are carriers.
0 x


Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: T & B farms and 2 guests