Went and acled like tourists

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Dave
GURU
GURU

Went and acled like tourists

Postby Dave » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:27 am

So there is an old mining town near here that is fixed up for the tourist trade. They have a operating steam railroad and an old gold dredge you can tour through. The wife wanted to go up there. The train wasn't running (tourist season is kind of over). But we got the tour of the inside of the dredge. The wife did a little gold panning. Mostly to see if there was some method she needed to know. After we ate I saw a road sign that said Elkhorn Loop. I knew we were on the side of the Elkhorn Mountains and I figured a loop had to come out somewhere. Two hours later after driving through miles of timber, passing one ghost town, a bunch of old mining tailings, a couple of high mountain passes, a snow ski area, and an number of hunter camps (it is archery elk season) we came out where I guessed we might.

The old corral here is poles on railroad ties. The poles are getting kind of old and weak. Yesterday's drive we past miles of lodge pole pine so thick you would have to turn sideways to walk through them. I am going to have to talk to the forest service about a pole permit.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Went and acled like tourists

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:58 am

Many times we could be tourist in our own back yard. I have many things within 25 miles that we have never stopped to see but people travel from all over to see these. Guess I need to take a few hours and stop by.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:48 am

Where we popped out of the timber was near some friends so we dropped in for a visit. They are getting older and want to downsize so they have the place for sale. It is 8,000+ acres with 1,300 irrigated, 5 houses, indoor arena, full set of working pens, etc, etc. It runs 800 cows. They are asking 6.25 mil. So if anyone has some spare pocket change and wants to live near me here is your opportunity.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:58 am

Dave wrote: It is 8,000+ acres with 1,300 irrigated, 5 houses, indoor arena, full set of working pens, etc, etc. It runs 800 cows. They are asking 6.25 mil. So if anyone (1) has some spare pocket change and (2) wants to live near me, here is your opportunity.

I gotta be honest here Dave...One of those, disqualifies me.

and I'm not particular who my neighbors are
2 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:09 pm

greybeard wrote:
Dave wrote: It is 8,000+ acres with 1,300 irrigated, 5 houses, indoor arena, full set of working pens, etc, etc. It runs 800 cows. They are asking 6.25 mil. So if anyone (1) has some spare pocket change and (2) wants to live near me, here is your opportunity.

I gotta be honest here Dave...One of those, disqualifies me.

and I'm not particular who my neighbors are

Seems something disqualifies me and I reckon it's the same thing that disqualified you
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:37 pm

Ha! Gold fever is what you get for rubbing our faces in your paradise! Ain't karma a real %$#@&? I knew you'd end up struck down with an ailment for what you've been doing to us. LOL
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:36 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Ha! Gold fever is what you get for rubbing our faces in your paradise! Ain't karma a real %$#@&? I knew you'd end up struck down with an ailment for what you've been doing to us. LOL

I do not have gold fever. I am a cowaholic. Us cowaholics have a natural resistance to other afflictions. We went and looked at a local tourist attraction so when all these people come to visit we can send them off somewhere out of my hair. This was our fifth trip to look at local attractions so we will know where to recommend people to go see. We have been here less than three months and 13 different people have come and spent 1 to 3 nights. All of them say they plan to come back. I may have to build a shack up on the top of the mountain to escape all of them.
But being a cowaholic I did buy a cow today. Well a heifer. A 800 pound yearling red brockle face heifer. She has some issues with her back end, hip, feet but she is plenty healthy to find the feed trough and the water trough. And she only cost me $500. About 60 days and she will find her way to our freezer. She wont make grade but she will make dinner.
2 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:11 pm

Dave wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Ha! Gold fever is what you get for rubbing our faces in your paradise! Ain't karma a real %$#@&? I knew you'd end up struck down with an ailment for what you've been doing to us. LOL

I do not have gold fever. I am a cowaholic. Us cowaholics have a natural resistance to other afflictions. We went and looked at a local tourist attraction so when all these people come to visit we can send them off somewhere out of my hair. This was our fifth trip to look at local attractions so we will know where to recommend people to go see. We have been here less than three months and 13 different people have come and spent 1 to 3 nights. All of them say they plan to come back. I may have to build a shack up on the top of the mountain to escape all of them.
But being a cowaholic I did buy a cow today. Well a heifer. A 800 pound yearling red brockle face heifer. She has some issues with her back end, hip, feet but she is plenty healthy to find the feed trough and the water trough. And she only cost me $500. About 60 days and she will find her way to our freezer. She wont make grade but she will make dinner.

Tell me about it. I'm having a pretty good month, and all I can think about is how to convince my wife that we should "invest" the profit in a set of heavy breds.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Dave wrote:

Tell me about it. I'm having a pretty good month, and all I can think about is how to convince my wife that we should "invest" the profit in a set of heavy breds.

Yep, yesterday when we were at that friend who has their place for sale a bunch of calves kept marching by the window. They had just weaned a couple days ago. I am sitting there thinking that I would like to take about 60 of those heifers home. I think he noticed me looking because he said he was real happy with this bunch of calves. I agreed with him. But....... not this fall.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:05 pm

I do not have gold fever. I am a cowaholic. Us cowaholics have a natural resistance to other afflictions.

Well yeah..sure, I mean once you've got the 'cow bug' then everything else is like comparing measles to Ebola or Smallpox.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby sstterry » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:21 am

kenny thomas wrote:Many times we could be tourist in our own back yard. I have many things within 25 miles that we have never stopped to see but people travel from all over to see these. Guess I need to take a few hours and stop by.

What are some of the things you are referring to Kenny? My wife and I are always looking for a day trip and you are very close.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:27 am

sstterry wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:Many times we could be tourist in our own back yard. I have many things within 25 miles that we have never stopped to see but people travel from all over to see these. Guess I need to take a few hours and stop by.

What are some of the things you are referring to Kenny? My wife and I are always looking for a day trip and you are very close.

Wilderness Road state Park, Natural Tunnel State Park, Comberland Gap National Park. Southwest Muesum State Park. All of those are within a half hour drive
1 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:32 am

Wilderness Road has the most authentic 1750's fort in the world
They have events throughout the year. In May they have a re-enactment that is attended by several thousand people.
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:28 am

kenny thomas wrote:Wilderness Road has the most authentic 1750's fort in the world
They have events throughout the year. In May they have a re-enactment that is attended by several thousand people.

That fort is unreal as it was built with all tools from the day it was actually built. (no chainsaws etc.) I think it cost the VA taxpayers close to a million dollar to build. A field full of buffalo surround it and a old humongous farm house build from around that day on the park..Indian relics everywhere as even around my house here on the river I can plow up a field and after a rain collect a bucket full of arrowheads, indian fish hooks, tomahawks, etc. They have reenactments every year and a lot of Indians get killed, and people gets their head scaped just like the old days. There was 300 million dollars spent in the mid-80's to build the Cumberland Gap tunnel to keep from disturbing the land were Danial Boone blased a trail through the gap to go west. If you like early US history it is around here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildernes ... State_Park

0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:45 am

On Saturday we went to Sumpter. That is the old gold mining town with the dredge and steam train. There is also the Oregon Trail interpretive center which has a great display about the Oregon Trail. You can still see the ruts left by the wagons. Going the other direction is Farewell Bend park where the Oregon Trail left the Snake River. There is Wallowa Lake a absolutely beautiful place and a tram there which goes up to the top of a mountain. The town of Joseph which has number of art shops that are primarily western art. There is be nice's Canyon. The Eagle Cap and North Fork of the John Day wilderness areas. About a half dozen museums that I know about. Several old ghost towns from the gold mining days. I am sure there are other things I don't know about. And more hiking trails than a person could cover in a life time.
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”