My new Wagyu bull

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Re: My new Wagyu bull

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu May 07, 2020 2:20 pm

Will you get 750# carcasses that grade Choice - Choice + at 12- 13 months of age?
If not, why do you need more marbling? I don't get it.
IMHO - you sacrifice too much in muscling & growth.
I will be interested in your Beltie's comparison. Do Belties" marble well? How old will your full Beltie getting butchered be compared to the cross?

Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Thu May 07, 2020 5:36 pm

Last week we moved (tried to move) 40 fall calving Wagyu cows off the pasture above my house on to BLM which is right next door. It was a rolling wreck. 3 good cowboys horseback, 4 good working dogs, and me on a quad. To say they don't gather and move like normal cows is an understatement. They don't bunch up and move like normal cattle. Four hours later there is still 2 cows on my place. Gathering the others off the BLM is going to be even more fun. As it is a whole lot more rugged on that side of the fence.
Then on Monday we hauled 140 +/- spring Wagyu pairs to their summer pasture. A semi and 2 goose necks making 3 trips each. Two cowboys at the corral sorting things for the next load. Another rolling wreck. It took 8 1/2 hours. We should have been done in 6 hours or less. If I never have to deal with another Wagyu cow in my life it will be just fine with me.

76 Bar
GURU
GURU

Post by 76 Bar » Fri May 08, 2020 1:21 pm

Curious as to the percentage of Wagyu these cows are and what they're cross bred with.