Johnes disease has me worried

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus86

Reaction score
This older cow I bought has always had really loose stool. I've had her a few months now and she isn't getting any skinnier I think she's just old. I don't have a chute yet to even test her. She's lost her horns due to banding and obviously she's been stressed from the move.

Do johnes cows have like water out a garden hose diarrhea? She just has loose forms a pat doesn't smell. I think I may be paranoid. Should have never bought her and now am trying to get a loading chute to test her or send her outta here. Anyone have input on their stools that has seen johnes?

Thanks

I've seen johnes and I can't tell it's johnes by looking at the the stool. Does she have bottle jaw?
The best I could do seeing the stool is suspect it and diagnose it by testing.

Bottle jaw in a young animal and I suspect parasites, in an old cow my guess is johnes.
A thin cow without bottle jaw, but has diarrhea, johnes is common enough to test her.
An old thin cow with bottle jaw and long term diarrhea... johnes; cull list without testing.
(both the cow and her calf) I don't think a vet can do much better.

p.s.
explosive diarrhea - winter dysentery
long lasting diarrhea in animals under 2 yrs old - bvd

Her jaw has looked a little loose but not persistently. I've seen goats with bottle jaw and she doesn't look like that. I think either way she's gotta go was just hoping to get a calf before then.

I wormed the whole herd with the safeguard mineral wormer for a week. She ate it good I wonder too if her age is making digestion less efficient. Without a test I'll never know. Thanks for the input I appreciate it

Generally, a the manure of affected cattle is super runny, and to say it has a foul odor is an understatement. If you just de-wormed her, she may need a dose of probisis. If she was carrying a heavy parasite load, it could also affect how she bounces back from a de-worming...

I bought a cow and she had very runny poo. Was was purebred from a registered very good herd. Once she hit our green grass she never became solid. Always a mess. Johnes doesnt exist here but rumours do so i had her tested and clear. Vet explained to me she most likely has damaged villi in the intestines that stops her absorbing the water right at the end and nothing to worry about. But the look was terrible so she was placed on the cull list straight away. Was bought in calf and had a really nice calf and raised it well. Tested calf for bvd and free of it. Apparently if you give a cow or calf too much straight grain you can burn them out like this. I don't really know enough about it but that's my story.

I think the test for Johnes here is about $100. Plus the vet call. I would get her tested ASAP and put a bullet in her if positive. Seen a few farms entire herds ruined by one or two bad carriers.

Unfortunate that North America does not invest the time and money to rid the beef industry of this disease. Dairy herds in Canada are tested on a regular basis, so Johnes is extremely rare in dairy here.

You can bring a stool sample of hers to the vet for a Johnes test too. Then they also can test for other parasites that may be causing issues.

Johne's testing here is pretty cheap - like $8.50 for the ELISA(blood) test, and $37.75 for the PCR test on feces.
I'd have my vet examine her and collect blood and feces; if she's positive on the ELISA test, she's definitely got JD... but if she's negative on the ELISA, I'd go ahead and run the PCR. Most, but not all, JD cows will seroconvert and be positive on the ELISA test around the time they start to exhibit classical clinical signs (diarrhea, wasting).

Even if you're gonna send her on, it would be good to know if you've introduced JD to your premises... the causative organism can live for over a year in manure pats and moist soil around feeders, waterers, etc.
Sometimes you get more than you bargained for...

Latest posts