Big Wayne says "come see your Papa"

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Big Wayne says "come see your Papa"

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri May 17, 2019 3:35 pm

You guys said to put "Big Wayne" on a diet, so I did, he hasn't seen any grain for 6 weeks now. I think he lost about 15 pounds. LOL! Here he is, along with his gals who have also gone on the "all grass diet for moral support"

http://bit.ly/2JKSNlX

Anyway, to the folks that never stop bashing my operation, calling me delusional, telling me that my plans are "grandiose" or that my cattle couldn't possibly compete with their "commercial herd", here is my "second string" lineup. Progeny from "Big Wayne" and these gals will enter the commercial herds in the area, they are NOT our starting bench. Big Wayne now has 9 sons working in Kentucky with their calves on the ground. His influence in the area will be substantial as time goes on. Considering that if each of his sons are working 30-40 cows a year, or more, you do the math. Who knows, considering his condition, he may produce a LOT more sons and daughters. Funny thing NEFarmwife, my clients love Big Wayne sons, can't get enough of them. Never had trouble selling them, never had them returned, never had complaints. :clap:

Here is one of them if you need proof, he serviced two separate herds as a 16 month old, their calves are on the ground now. Oh, and they used him on heifers.

http://bit.ly/2YxjKh3

We have kept every one of Big Wayne's daughters and they are AI'd with SAV Raindance sexed semen for more daughters, really fertile gals. Good plan huh?

"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Big Wayne says "come see your Papa"

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Fri May 17, 2019 4:56 pm

I thought you bought Big Wayne from someone else's operation? Forgive me if I'm mistaken, you're kinda hard to keep up with.
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Hook2.0
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Hook2.0 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:59 pm

Toot toot!

You dont have anyone around you that can blow your horn for you?
Proud to be a multiplier

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Fri May 17, 2019 5:14 pm

Your Angus cows are not just big, they have great form. Good topline and udders look good.

This morning I went to visit a commercial operation in the direction where KY Hills lives. The cattle he had are mostly Angus influenced but he uses Simmental bulls. His cows are BIG! I am going to guess in the 1700 to 1800 range. I didn't see anything small. Some folks like big cows.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by CreekAngus » Fri May 17, 2019 5:31 pm

Those three cows are nice, square hipped, deep flanked, wide butt, the kind I like, over conditioned but sometimes they are just easy keepers, the kind we all want. When I looked at your bull my first thought was "Hoover Dam", very similar in phenotype. You need to be a little bit fairer to yourself, those cows appear to be 7 frame and probably would be roaming your fields at 1600 to 1700 lbs if they were at a bcs 5. Most people think 9 frame (Hoff Cattle) when 2000lbs is mentioned. My cattle are all 7 frame (except 1) and walk around at 1600lbs at a bcs of 5, in the early winter they will be at bcs 6 and waddle around at 1800 with a calf in them, but if they rolled up to 7 or 8 in bcs, they would weigh a ton. My neighbor he's got cattle like yours and one issue he has, is feeding round bales, it's hard to keep them from free feeding and easy keepers stay fat even on marginal hay......a good problem to have.
A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Fri May 17, 2019 5:42 pm

CreekAngus wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:31 pm
Those three cows are nice, square hipped, deep flanked, wide butt, the kind I like, over conditioned but sometimes they are just easy keepers, the kind we all want. When I looked at your bull my first thought was "Hoover Dam", very similar in phenotype. You need to be a little bit fairer to yourself, those cows appear to be 7 frame and probably would be roaming your fields at 1600 to 1700 lbs if they were at a bcs 5. Most people think 9 frame (Hoff Cattle) when 2000lbs is mentioned. My cattle are all 7 frame (except 1) and walk around at 1600lbs at a bcs of 5, in the early winter they will be at bcs 6 and waddle around at 1800 with a calf in them, but if they rolled up to 7 or 8 in bcs, they would weigh a ton. My neighbor he's got cattle like yours and one issue he has, is feeding round bales, it's hard to keep them from free feeding and easy keepers stay fat even on marginal hay......a good problem to have.
You are a fair man. I made the same observation. Square hip and deep at the flank.
Diogenes.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Fri May 17, 2019 5:48 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:56 pm
I thought you bought Big Wayne from someone else's operation? Forgive me if I'm mistaken, you're kinda hard to keep up with.
I could understand making a big deal over your own cattle that you bred, but to make a big deal over a bull you bought seems strange. :help:

Maybe Stone Gate is paying him to hype them up??
“The dream is ended- this is the morning.”

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Fri May 17, 2019 5:52 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:48 pm
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
I could understand making a big deal over your own cattle that you bred, but to make a big deal over a bull you bought seems strange. :help:

I could be incorrect. Certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri May 17, 2019 5:55 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Yes, he’s from Stone Gate. He is basically retired. His sons and daughters came from cows that have pedigrees from BH that date back multiple generations.

Our newest clean up bull, which hasn’t seen much work lately because we are getting a lot settled via AI, is an SAV Harvestor son that we bred here from AI and a dam which also has a pedigree multiple generations deep on our operation. As the herd grows it’s hard to get every last one settled via AI, especially since we don’t use any synchronization. The Harvestor son is in with all the females that have been confirmed pregnant via Biopryn, just in case any of them abort and come back in heat. That rarely happens, but he is insurance that we get as many calves as possible.

I posted video of Big Wayne because he’s a favorite of mine. Right now we only have one of his sons which was in that recent drone video.

I also wanted to showcase what our “average” looks like. The cow in the very back will turn 14 soon.
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri May 17, 2019 6:16 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:48 pm
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

Did you know Big Wayne’s Daddy is from Apex Angus in Montana? So did Stone Gate cut corners? Big Wayne is, by your definition, not Stone Gate, he’s actually Apex, right? Every bull comes from somewhere. Maybe it’s Apex that is paying me?

Stone Gate isn’t compensating me. Big Wayne’s dam is apparently the best dam they have out of their 450 registered cows. His brothers are also apparently being used to produce bulls that are in their production sales. Again, just what I’ve been told.

The son I posted is what we bred, he came from our female, not another operation’s dam.

Do you want to see video of what we have produced, what has been born and raised here. I have a virtually endless supply for you. LOL!

While Big Wayne has done a fine job, the bulls we have in cue are far better, and we bred those here using our dams.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri May 17, 2019 6:20 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:14 pm
Your Angus cows are not just big, they have great form. Good topline and udders look good.

This morning I went to visit a commercial operation in the direction where KY Hills lives. The cattle he had are mostly Angus influenced but he uses Simmental bulls. His cows are BIG! I am going to guess in the 1700 to 1800 range. I didn't see anything small. Some folks like big cows.
Thank you Ron.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri May 17, 2019 6:25 pm

CreekAngus wrote:
Thank you.

Like Ron’s gals, they have all the pasture they could ever want or need, they also have plenty of shade and reside in a low stress environment. That helps to keep them big. They are mature cows, one is getting ready to turn 14. If they never saw grain again in their lives, they probably wouldn’t lose much under the conditions they live in.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Fri May 17, 2019 6:33 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:25 pm
CreekAngus wrote:
Thank you.

Like Ron’s gals, they have all the pasture they could ever want or need, they also have plenty of shade and reside in a low stress environment. That helps to keep them big. They are mature cows, one is getting ready to turn 14. If they never saw grain again in their lives, they probably wouldn’t lose much under the conditions they live in.
If you don't overstock, in this area (Ordovician limestone component of the Cincinnati Arch Geological Area), cattle should be fat and slick.
Diogenes.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Fri May 17, 2019 6:55 pm

I accept your analysis. They shouldn’t need feed.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Fri May 17, 2019 6:58 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:55 pm
I accept your analysis. They shouldn’t need feed.
They do not need feed. James, "they do not need feed".
Diogenes.