what cattle do not like?

Help Support CattleToday:

Tenaj

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what cattle do not like, as in smell, food, etc.

Cows do not like the smell of predators such as cougars, dogs, bears, wolves, butcher shops ect.
Cows do not like rancid feed especially spoiled meat not even bacon and you seldom see cows with
a fishing pole. They are not fond of flies, lice or ticks although they are known to collect them and
and cows are easily spooked by ufos and other alien invaders.

Wow, thanks for the jokes - at least I got a smile or two out of the site. That is about all I got so far. I really thought this was a site that experienced people could give me intelligent answers, but was I ever so wrong. Thanks anyway! :)

You are a big you know what! People like you should not be able to be on a site like this!

Sorry, it was not a joke question- it was a serious question I had hoped for intelligent answers, none available on this site! Just a bunch of people wasting time. Gotta run, thanks for all the ignorant answers.

they don't like high contrast objects on the ground (bright surface and dark shadows, for example). they don't like sudden movement or noise. they don't like being stared at as if you were a predator (you ARE a predator, but it can be overcome), they can get weird about the smell of blood but I have never noticed odors in and of themselves setting them off in a way that really indicated they didn't "like" something. the things they don't like are behaviors or objects that cause fear - and that would be things that make them feel stalked or trapped.

as for foods, that is going to depend on many factors especially past experience and hunger. individuals can have different preferences as well. there are things you can feed a cow and there are things you should feed a cow, they may not all overlap. there are lots of information resources out there for feeds and feeding in whatever location you are wanting to do so.

finally, having a sense of humor will help in life. asking vague questions and then insulting strangers on the internet has another name.

they don't like high contrast objects on the ground (bright surface and dark shadows, for example). they don't like sudden movement or noise. they don't like being stared at as if you were a predator (you ARE a predator, but it can be overcome), they can get weird about the smell of blood but I have never noticed odors in and of themselves setting them off in a way that really indicated they didn't "like" something. the things they don't like are behaviors or objects that cause fear - and that would be things that make them feel stalked or trapped.

as for foods, that is going to depend on many factors especially past experience and hunger. individuals can have different preferences as well. there are things you can feed a cow and there are things you should feed a cow, they may not all overlap. there are lots of information resources out there for feeds and feeding in whatever location you are wanting to do so.

finally, having a sense of humor will help in life. asking vague questions and then insulting strangers on the internet has another name.
Hippe Rancher,

Also with cows, it's important not to reward bad behavior. So if a cow behaves like they're in charge of you, or entitled to something you have, you show them who's actually in charge and put them properly in their place. It's not only about intelligence but who controls the resources. I never give my cows a reward for behaving badly. Otherwise you'll continue to get worse behavior in the future from the cattle.

Hippe Rancher,

Also with cows, it's important not to reward bad behavior. So if a cow behaves like they're in charge of you, or entitled to something you have, you show them who's actually in charge and put them properly in their place. It's not only about intelligence but who controls the resources. I never give my cows a reward for behaving badly. Otherwise you'll continue to get worse behavior in the future from the cattle.
Cows wouldn't know a reward from shinola ..they ain't geared like a dog..more thankless like a cat..they are a creature of habit..

Last edited:
Cows wouldn't know a reward from shinola ..they ain't geared like a dog..more thankless like a cat..they are a creature of habit..
Not in my experience. When the dogs growl and harass the cattle with me around, I get tired of them and tell them to shut up. So if I'm around, and the dogs are around, the cows are much more likely to move closer to me -- even before I yell at the dogs. Further, I would argue some cows even have relatively fine motor skills.