A Hay Calamity

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: A Hay Calamity

Post by cowgirl8 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:38 am

My guys are out baling. We actually had hay left over from last year. But I know a lot of people who didn't. Its gonna get bad before it gets better here...

For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:30 pm

We have been extremely lucky in my area. Hay was several weeks early but we had about 2 weeks of dry weather. The guy that does my hay got up over 1000 5x4 rolls. Mine was last, but best 1st cutting off those 30 acres in years (a little TLC and fertilize does wonders). Hay barns are full (had quite a bit left over from last season) and all of my second cutting will be all stored outside. It will be the first I feed in the winter and I feel good that I will be ok for this year, barring a calamity with the second cutting.

MrSmith
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by MrSmith » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:45 pm

I'm still trying to get a neighbor over to cut mine.

Is there a point at which it's not worth the effort to put up?

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:48 am

MrSmith wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:45 pm
I'm still trying to get a neighbor over to cut mine.

Is there a point at which it's not worth the effort to put up?
You can always supplement poor hay.
https://cattleforumtoday.com
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

cowrancher75
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by cowrancher75 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:59 am

got some baled last night.. was putting it away until past 11.. glad I got some of that done..

I just read in the paper.. people at a recent local auction were paying 65.00 PER SQUARE BALE ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! They even stopped the auction to make sure everyone knew (edited) they were bidding on! ahhaa

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Post by tom4018 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:12 am

In our area of the state we have had some good windows to do hay. Finished my first cutting almost 2 weeks ago. Yields are down this year but the quality seems good, testing will see for sure. Still a lot of people doing hay around here but a lot are done. Seeing lots of hay for sale and most seems high in price, last years shortage I thinks has everyone wanting to make a buck.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:29 am

$60 a roll and worth every penny. Hopefully it'll be the last hay we'll buy for awhile.
https://cattleforumtoday.com
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:08 am

Missed your chance for making hay. Mon-Wed clear skies, and low humidity. Made some 24 hour hay that was probably the best I've ever made. Perfect color, moisture, fine leaf, and super thick. To bad the other 40 acres that need baled will go to pot before it gets baled. Oh well, that farming, and you just have to take what the Good Lord gives ya. I'll take too much green grass, and too much rain over 2012 any year.

"Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, waiting patiently for it until it receives the early and latter rain." James 5:7

"While we recognize that the subject did not steal any horses he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

bball
GURU
GURU

Post by bball » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:19 am

We got everything baled yesterday before the rain hit. Even got 60 bales put under cover. Only wrapped 8 bales(early). Yesterday was a real blessing for drying; 20 mph wind, low humidity and sunny. Yielded 5 5.5x4 bales per acre or essentially 3 tons per acre.
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Post by chevytaHOE5674 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:34 pm

I wish that there was something to bale and the only problem was rainy weather. UP here it's been rainy and cold (3 heavy frosts in the last 11 days) and there is nothing worth baling heck not much to graze yet. Still feeding hay and baleage. So count your blessings that you guys have something to bale.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Post by M-5 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:45 pm

I've cut with thunder heads down in Peter's mud hole. And not get anything wet. You look like a genius when everything works.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Luckiamute
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Luckiamute » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:36 am

I don't think it matters where you are, there is nothing more stressful than hay season. It makes calving season seem like a walk in the park on a perfect spring day.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:44 am

I think Chiropractors are getting a lot of business these days, everyone has a crook in their neck from always looking up at what kind of weather is coming... This year was pretty good for us, last year there was beautiful weather up to about May 25th, a few people got some hay done, then June was just miserable, always dodging thunderstorms.

I just finished my first cut... Yield on a few fields a bit down, but really nice hay.. Stuff I put in today is about 50/50 timothy alfalfa..
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:32 am

Neighbor said his daughter cut a wheel line field (80 acres?) of alfalfa and two of the irrigation risers. Said that one of them you could tell she just kept right on mowing. It was in the middle of the windrow. Took it off slick as a whistle.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Post by hurleyjd » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:06 pm

Cut hay Friday needed Sun through Sunday. Awaken to rain this morning and projected for the next seven days. Could be something is telling me to get out of the cattle business and it will not take a lot to get me there