Weekender saga continues

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Weekender saga continues

Post by cowgirl8 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:46 am

One weekender is out. Land back up for sale. He and his girlfriend split. His improvements to the land are... 3 dumped cars, 2 storage things, one buried at a angle for a tornado shelter that is now filled with water. A old temp office building that leaks and is sitting in a hole filled with water. A nice fence on the front of the property, but unfinished at gate. A new almost unused Kubota tractor, with backhoe attachment and shredder. So thankful he was unable to get electricity to it or we'd have a meth lab there. They overpaid for this land and want more to recoup their losses. Guy next to him we'd like to see stay. Has a nice family, just wanted a country place. But now their future is uncertain as who knows who will buy this place and do what with that house that is there now. Someone could buy it for an investment, although at what they want it will have to be a very long term investment, and rent out the house.. Man oh man I hope that doesn't happen... Its a vicious cycle on small properties we see out here. People buy with dreams of living the country life, but reality hits that every time they visit, they have to work. And there are no conveniences out there. No fast food, no entertainments, no grocery stores.. and on this road, i'm the only person that drives down it and I don't slow down to chat....

For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: Weekender saga continues

Post by cowgirl8 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:10 am

Another place just sold on the other side. Have yet to meet new owners. I can see where they've driven in, but have yet to see anyone out there. Right now the weeds are over 6 ft tall and still growing. Suppose we'll get a call to cut it. We tried to buy this spot just to keep someone else from getting it and it would give me access to some of our property and would cut my drive to there by a lot. I use to cross this place daily, but once they sold I was cut off...Went through all the trouble to get a contract written up when the owner tells us he gave first right to buy to the realtor who bought the other 2 places and flipped right away. He used us to pressure the other guy to pay more than he did on the other 2 pieces. I think he paid, 1750 an acre for the other 2 tracts, then flipped it for 2650, like, the next week. Made us mad about it, but, things will work out in the end. Still no electricity out there and I hope it stays that way.
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:17 am

Goes without saying, conscientious, trust worthy neighbors are worth their weight in gold many times over.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Post by cowgirl8 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:31 am

You can almost tell who will stay and who will go. The ones with unrealistic views always get tired of the struggle to keep things under control. And it makes it really hard for me. I'm the only person who goes down this stretch daily and I always tell the newbies that if I see something weird i'll text them if they want. Went by one morning and the door was open on the structure the guy had hauled out there. Someone kicked the door in, but found nothing. What they have out there is stored in a locked boxcar. But now, I cant see much of anything there, its trying to return to the jungle it wants to be. I do not like things like this attracting creeps....You just cant keep this land under control if you come out a couple times a year. And what makes it bad for these people is, they bought in a drought. It is always wet out here and under drought conditions, the realtor lucked out and didn't have to show overly wet land... There were no homesites in this area for a reason. I heard the son of the girlfriend will be up this weekend. Last time he came up he got his truck stuck in the middle of the place. It sat there for a couple months before my guys could get anything in there to pull him out.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:52 am

Someone could buy it for an investment, although at what they want it will have to be a very long term investment.
1750 an acre for the other 2 tracts, then flipped it for 2650, like, the next week

That's very low priced per acre costs compared to much of Texas. I looked at a place out near Weatherford last month and it was $5000/ac, and not much more than scrub land. I sold 17 ac here in 2015 for just over $7k/acre.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Post by cowgirl8 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:25 pm

We are the last of the cheap land in texas.. 1750 sounds like a lot to me because we could have bought it for 300 about 15 years ago..lol… Its really bad land to learn on. Its just boggy goop, doesn't grow grass very good, dries to concrete in a blink of an eye. No improvements other than the junk the guy set out there... Its why we didn't buy it. We leased it for years and struggled keeping cows from bogging down when feeding hay. Has some pines planted on it but they are doing terrible..some of them burned in 2011.... Its not the place i'd pick for a country week end place. But, if you're wanting to save money but say you had land.. I had a trail going across it, 4wheeler only trail. It would get too boggy to drive on. Its like this area is a low area that is dished in. It fills up, it seeps down. Water just stands from Sept to May... There are no creeks to carry the water off, just one area that was blocked by a road. And another weekender Jack A. burned his bridges with this guy so he clogged in a area on into his place that backs the water up really bad. I'm not part of that argument...lol... amazingly. and nor do I want to be. That's another thing about these city people, they love to fight with their neighbors. Poor nice family, he mistakenly went in on fence stuff with the weekender who is selling. His fence stuff is sitting on the other guys land. He called the guy and was told, DONT TOUCH IT.... I beg the differ. Just go over there and get it. Its hundreds of dollars of wire he paid for. What will happen is a lawyer will go in and take pictures, and it will just be lost wire. Guy who is selling was asking my husband if he'd bale the hay, weeds, on his place and sell the hay for him. Asked how much he'd get paid.. Husband said, maybe 2 dollars a bale, might make 60 weedy bales.. Guy acted like something was being pulled over on him and got angry. Thought his 30 acres would be a cash cow... Husband is done with him.. find someone else to bale your weeds.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:01 pm

Well, I wouldn't say it was the last of the cheap Texas land.I know where some is for $200/acre, dry as a bone most years tho, which for me, is a plus.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Post by cowgirl8 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:04 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens to land prices when 6000 acres of solar panels gets put in. For me, I don't care and hope it keeps people away and drives down land prices. We wont see them where we are, wont affect us any at all. And if land prices drop, we'll just pick up more land.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:07 pm

I buy most everything that borders my property. And over pay for some of it, but it's MINE.
https://cattleforumtoday.com
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Post by cowgirl8 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:38 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:07 pm
I buy most everything that borders my property. And over pay for some of it, but it's MINE.
Its so remote out here, the other new guy was the only one he bonded with at first. Both made plans and bought things together. We saw that going south quick, just as it did... we told him to just go over there and get it. He acted like he'd get arrested... We're like, "LOL, its Red River Co."

jehosofat
Rancher
Rancher

Post by jehosofat » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:19 pm

6/10 pretty good ratio.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Post by Workinonit Farm » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:08 am

jehosofat wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:19 pm
6/10 pretty good ratio.
:lol2: :lol2:
Live each day as if it were your last.

jehosofat
Rancher
Rancher

Post by jehosofat » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:19 am

Workinonit Farm wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:08 am
jehosofat wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:19 pm
6/10 pretty good ratio.
:lol2: :lol2:
Glad you got it.

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:10 pm

Last 5-6 smaller places that have sold by me have went for double what I was willing to pay and folks from Dallas thought it was a bargain. 2k is going price for bare land now and it seems anything less than 10 acres and any kind of house gets really pricey. Theres 225 acres that I made an offer on but got shot down. Be interesting to see what happens with it. It’s pretty rough and didn’t really appeal to me but thought they might take a fair offer. It is funny to watch people from city learn to live out here, like CG8 says “big dreams till reality sets in”. RRC id definitely different than most places.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Post by cowgirl8 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:18 pm

There is one weekender that every time we see him he said, We've just had our 100 yr flood.... Bless his heart. He bought during the drought.. and obviously hasn't watched the weather the past few days. We may hit the 100 yr flood, otherwise, its the usual 5 yr flood out here...