Why do Cattle Love my Tractor?

Help Support CattleToday:

Moooooo

Reaction score
A tenant has put 17 cattle on my farm. The other day, I took my tractor to the pasture to put something on the burn pile, using forks mounted to the front end loader. The cattle were very happy to see the tractor. They got in the way and crowded around it, smelling the forks and so on. I had to poke one of them with the forks to get her to move, and she took her time about it.

I am wondering why cattle would love a tractor so much. Maybe the tenant used a tractor to feed them?

Yes. They associate it with its use as an instrument of feed delivery. Plus. Cows are curious. If curiosity killed the cat, curiosity makes cows a nuisance sometimes.

I have a friend who was dragging a pasture with an old 8N. Went in to the house to grab a sandwich. Tractor not more than 40 feet from the house. Not a cow in sight. After he got done eating he went back out to finish dragging the field. Not a single spark plug wire left on the tractor and once again not a cow in sight. You got to watch them cows. They will steal your battery and tires too if given a chance.

Dave said:
I have a friend who was dragging a pasture with an old 8N. Went in to the house to grab a sandwich. Tractor not more than 40 feet from the house. Not a cow in sight. After he got done eating he went back out to finish dragging the field. Not a single spark plug wire left on the tractor and once again not a cow in sight. You got to watch them cows. They will steal your battery and tires too if given a chance.
But it was a diesel.

I found holes in a water hose in the pasture. Surely a cow can't do that.

Dave said:

This is one of the reasons I drive Chevy. :nod:

When I was a teen I had a 1968 Ford Mustang I was very proud of.At that time we had free range hogs who self fed in a field of corn we raised for that purpose each fall.Guess where they always seemed to go rub after rolling in a mud hole?

:bang:

Once had key pulled out of a tractor by calves overnight.Never found the key,either.

Moooooo said:

If you have any black bear in your area they can and will.My water line from my spring runs on top of the ground for the first 200 feet through the woods.I actually had a bear bite into it once.My son had one bite into the seat on his four wheeler while it was parked in the woods one day when he was hunting a couple years back.

Moooooo said:
A tenant has put 17 cattle on my farm. The other day, I took my tractor to the pasture to put something on the burn pile, using forks mounted to the front end loader. The cattle were very happy to see the tractor. They got in the way and crowded around it, smelling the forks and so on. I had to poke one of them with the forks to get her to move, and she took her time about it.

I am wondering why cattle would love a tractor so much. Maybe the tenant used a tractor to feed them?

Is this what you are talking about?

http://bit.ly/2FPwvwr

Nesikep said:
Never put anything nice in a field with cows
https://youtu.be/UmtrqsBr74Q

haha! Great video! BTW, you shoot some good footage, keep up the excellent work!

I actually had a bear bite into it once.
Count your blessings if it was only once. Had an exposed waterline similar to your situation. Black bears punctured it on a regular basis and caused all manner of grief. :roll:

************* said:
Nesikep said:
Never put anything nice in a field with cows
https://youtu.be/UmtrqsBr74Q

haha! Great video! BTW, you shoot some good footage, keep up the excellent work!

your vid is proof all cows (and bulls) are the same.. gotta try and destroy everything

My buddy who had Hector before me had a heck of a time feeding round bales, hector would be beating the tar out of the bale while it was on the tractor still.

Here's Hector's sire caving in the doors and anything else he could on the old chevy feed truck

Moooooo said:
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!

a SHORT list of the things I have seen cows eat: screen doors, wiring, hoses, tie straps, string, ropes, windshield wipers, seat belts, "chrome" door panel strips (real metal and plastic), weatherstripping, upholstery, blankets, clothes, sleeping bags, tents, bags (paper and plastic, balloons, golf balls, oil bottles, water bottles, plywood, garden plant containers, tupperware, aluminum cans, burlap, tarps (cloth and vinyl), fiberglass gas line markers, fiberglass tool handles, pvc - pe - any kind of plastic pipe, bones, hide, (from other cows, horses, deer, javalina) antlers, asphalt, cement dust, bike tires, innertube, I have one that likes to suck/chew on chain! they can strip a dumped mattress or box spring to the wire and springs in a couple days if it doesn't get picked up. the other day I picked up a 6 foot long piece of bright warning yellow plastic that went over a big powerline guy wire. one of them had chewed the end and drug it a 1/4 mile from the nearest possible pole...

it isn't a feed or mineral deficiency, it is a freaking addiction. they just like to chew stuff. :bang:

I have a cow with a plastic deficiency..
If there's a step-in post with no wire on it, she'll pull the insulator off an chew on it..
I use to have a main hot wire along the top of my fence, there's still a few insulators left.. she goes from post to post and pulls them off to chew on them
Heaven forbid she finds a garden hose, I use old hydraulic hose to water them, that fixed that!
She once managed to get the spool of electric fence wire that was 4 ft on the other side of the fence, go go gadget tongue, she chewed up 200 yards of it til it was beyond hope to untangle

She's on the cull list as soon as I have something better to replace her with, she makes nice calves but they ain't paying her habit!

Latest posts