GURU
GURU

Re: Why no love for the Herefords?

Post by Ky hills » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:21 am

Hardnosecattleco wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:41 pm
Montanaidiot wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:16 pm
I have a distant relative who raises herfords and has been forever pretty successfully. Maybe they would sell me something that will be good. I see things all the time on craigslist or auction yards. But you just never know what your going to get
Some of my best cows came off the Craigslist. If you have a eye for cattle I see no harm in it. Can usually get them really cheap.
I agree, although cattle on CL around here seem considerably overpriced regardless of quality. I know some will disagree with me on this but the stockyards isn’t a terrible place to buy especially if one is looking for commercial cattle. Like with any other scenario you have to cautious and selective when buying. I think there are a lot of things to consider before starting out with registered cattle. I did that and now wish that I hadn’t.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:07 pm

Hardnosecattleco wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:41 pm
Montanaidiot wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:16 pm
I have a distant relative who raises herfords and has been forever pretty successfully. Maybe they would sell me something that will be good. I see things all the time on craigslist or auction yards. But you just never know what your going to get
Some of my best cows came off the Craigslist. If you have a eye for cattle I see no harm in it. Can usually get them really cheap.
I agree - IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. This is not for newbies! The highest priced cattle turn out to be the cheap dogs that you lose your total investment on.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

HarryHereford
Beginner
Beginner

Post by HarryHereford » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:18 pm

Fall quarter, Breeds of Livestock, Kildee Hall, 1969. Instructor takes off on Herefords [they were mostly all Horned @ that time]." Here's what you get with Herefords: Swing bags, pop bottle teats, prolapses, pink eye, eye cancer, bad feet and legs,
small calves @ weaning, fair feedlot performance, yield grade 4 & 5 carcasses." Question from the back of lecture hall: "Why are there so many Herefords around?" [60 years ago most of Americas cow herd was Hereford]. The instructor replied: "It's quite simple. Hereford cows wean more calves, breed back better, and last longer [especially in challenging environments].
And Hereford bulls cover more ground, breed more cows, and last a lot longer than other breeds."
If you know where to look you will find straight HORNED HEREFORD bulls that are extremely competitive in all phases of beef production.
We will be seeing more moderate frame size, true F1 black baldy females in Americas cow herd as producers relearn the HUGE advantages of the heterosis and figure out what it costs to feed 1500 to 1800# cows.
The good ones are out there. Go take advantage of what they have to offer.

W.B.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by W.B. » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:11 am

After the last round of Hereford bulls left us with some epileptic calves we cut bait and run just Angus now. We are an old Hereford family at one time I had some registered Hereford cows. The Hereford Association needs to learn how to protect their commercial producers from this but it seems they want to keep going as is.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:45 pm

W.B. wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:11 am
After the last round of Hereford bulls left us with some epileptic calves we cut bait and run just Angus now. We are an old Hereford family at one time I had some registered Hereford cows. The Hereford Association needs to learn how to protect their commercial producers from this but it seems they want to keep going as is.
Well, that seems to be a strange statement, since (I believe) Angus has the most genetic defects known in their breed.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Post by HDRider » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:28 pm

My hay guy came for his check yesterday. He is a busy guy. Cutting hay for folks this week. I never knew anyone doing hay here in December.

He runs a feed business too, and he is a BTO for this area with 200+ mamma cows.

I have a registered Angus bull I am very proud of. I was thinking about putting a Hereford bull on my cows to make some baldies. He goes on to tell me how out of favor baldies are here. The number 1 reason he said is their propensity for pink eye.

Me watching the sale barn, baldies always topped the market.
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:56 pm

HDRider wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:28 pm
My hay guy came for his check yesterday. He is a busy guy. Cutting hay for folks this week. I never knew anyone doing hay here in December.

He runs a feed business too, and he is a BTO for this area with 200+ mamma cows.

I have a registered Angus bull I am very proud of. I was thinking about putting a Hereford bull on my cows to make some baldies. He goes on to tell me how out of favor baldies are here. The number 1 reason he said is their propensity for pink eye.

Baldies do well for me.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Post by HDRider » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:07 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:56 pm
HDRider wrote:

Baldies do well for me.
You ever have pink eye?
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:20 pm

HDRider wrote:

I’ve heard some of those same comments too, could be the case in some market areas. Honestly, yes pinkeye can be a factor, but I believe with good mineral programs and fly control that pinkeye is probably no more problematic in them than any others. I also believe that some individuals have more of a propensity to susceptibility to pink eye due their eye set, that should be considered when selecting replacements or bulls. The BWF calves have done well over all for us at sales both as feeder calves and as bred heifers.
I really believe that if you have a predominately Angus cow herd you can’t go wrong with good Angus or Hereford bulls.

Aaron
GURU
GURU

Post by Aaron » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:44 pm

I vaccinated cows this spring with Endovac vaccine and my pinkeye and footrot in those cows was way down. The company can't make that claim, but they have testimonials from other producers that say the same occurred with their cows. It is expensive, but I am seriously considering vaccinating everything next year with it and see the results. So far it is very promising.
cor durum laborem

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Post by HDRider » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:03 pm

Aaron wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:44 pm
I vaccinated cows this spring with Endovac vaccine and my pinkeye and footrot in those cows was way down. The company can't make that claim, but they have testimonials from other producers that say the same occurred with their cows. It is expensive, but I am seriously considering vaccinating everything next year with it and see the results. So far it is very promising.
I had 3 cases of pink eye in my Angus my first year. One heifer came in with it the first couple of weeks I had her, and two calves had it that next summer.

I started vaccinating and none since.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:24 pm

HDRider wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:07 pm
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
HDRider wrote:

Baldies do well for me.
You ever have pink eye?
Not on the calves. Had a Hereford cow get a case once.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

greggy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by greggy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:14 am

HDRider wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:07 pm
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
HDRider wrote:

Baldies do well for me.
You ever have pink eye?
I know squat about cattle.....

But I know any can get pinkeye !

At another place someone I know has a breed I have not seen talked about on here it seems, and it pops up now and then...

It is kinda like saying Chevy trucks break down a lot, but if they are 80% of the market (I am making this up just as an analogy).....well course you will see more, there is more of them,,,not saying that there are that many baldies where you are, but that is what I would be looking at.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:56 am

greggy - the pink pigment on the eyes of a white face cow tends to be more susceptible to pinkeye. Part of the reason some breeders prefer the goggle eyed white face cows.

greggy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by greggy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:10 pm

Prob due to light reflection ?