Rancher
Rancher

Re: Culling

Post by Redgully » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:26 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 am
Redgully wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:33 am
I wonder if the behavior is a sign an underlying condition. Could he have some sort of injury.
What do you think it could be ? He will be 3 in feb. Never seen him act like that before he loaded fine at my house. But at the vet unloading was just bizerk I don’t know he’s still young.
Possibly lepto or a mineral deficiency such as magnesium or copper. Or even a tendon strain but in my experience they sulk when suffering a breeding injury.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:56 am

Probably an odor at the Vet set him off. I have seen that several times. Everything from smoke from an odd product burning to a odd cleaning or disinfecting product.

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Bfields30 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:26 am

Ebenezer wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:56 am
Probably an odor at the Vet set him off. I have seen that several times. Everything from smoke from an odd product burning to a odd cleaning or disinfecting product.
Didn’t think about that at all ...

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Bfields30 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:29 am

Redgully wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:26 pm
Bfields30 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:45 am
Redgully wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:33 am
I wonder if the behavior is a sign an underlying condition. Could he have some sort of injury.
What do you think it could be ? He will be 3 in feb. Never seen him act like that before he loaded fine at my house. But at the vet unloading was just bizerk I don’t know he’s still young.
Possibly lepto or a mineral deficiency such as magnesium or copper. Or even a tendon strain but in my experience they sulk when suffering a breeding injury.
He acts normal in the pasture still comes up in the truck to greet me before the other cows do. And how much it cost to test him for that and is it cureable the lepto

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:32 am

Lepto is fixable as far as i know, need to vaccinate everything and keep at it, works in a cycle. I've never had it but we get wild pigs near by and the vet has told me that is a big risk. It shouldn't cause behaviour problems but anytime an animal is not feeling right can react in unpredictable ways.

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Bfields30 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:24 am

Redgully wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:32 am
Lepto is fixable as far as i know, need to vaccinate everything and keep at it, works in a cycle. I've never had it but we get wild pigs near by and the vet has told me that is a big risk. It shouldn't cause behaviour problems but anytime an animal is not feeling right can react in unpredictable ways.
I’ll get him tested then it’s just stressful just got him in March and just nerve wrecking don’t wanna make sure I do everything to make sure it’s right before I make decision

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Post by gcreekrch » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:23 pm

You should have a good vaccination protocol in place. The bull was seen tested before turnout. Make no excuses.

Will the vet make a call to a neighbor's chute where the bull would be quieter? If he goes ballistic again you have another to cull.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Bfields30 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:06 am

gcreekrch wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:23 pm
You should have a good vaccination protocol in place. The bull was seen tested before turnout. Make no excuses.

Will the vet make a call to a neighbor's chute where the bull would be quieter? If he goes ballistic again you have another to cull.
Yeah most definitely I will cull if i have to and i know that’s part of it.

darcelina4
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by darcelina4 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:18 pm

I had a beef shorthorn bull. He got an infection end of june 2017. Took to vet. Given nuflor, banamine, la200. Repeated 3 days later. End of August got a heifer that had been with him preg checked by same vet. Called open. October 1st blood test preg checked heifer. Pregnant. We thought the bull had impregnated the heifer after his recovery. March 2018 heifer bags up and has a calf. So she was bred before his treatment not after. Took the bull to another vet. Semen tested sterile. Testicles had shrunk way down. Had to sell my registered bull to slaughter. Then I had a baby heifer get sick. Went to give her nuflor. Read the bottle. Why didnt the vet read the bottle before ruining my bull? As for your situation, I think if half your cows are open, you have a bull problem or a mineral problem. I'm betting bull. Dont cull the cows. Replace the bull.

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Bfields30 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:45 pm

darcelina4 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:18 pm
I had a beef shorthorn bull. He got an infection end of june 2017. Took to vet. Given nuflor, banamine, la200. Repeated 3 days later. End of August got a heifer that had been with him preg checked by same vet. Called open. October 1st blood test preg checked heifer. Pregnant. We thought the bull had impregnated the heifer after his recovery. March 2018 heifer bags up and has a calf. So she was bred before his treatment not after. Took the bull to another vet. Semen tested sterile. Testicles had shrunk way down. Had to sell my registered bull to slaughter. Then I had a baby heifer get sick. Went to give her nuflor. Read the bottle. Why didnt the vet read the bottle before ruining my bull? As for your situation, I think if half your cows are open, you have a bull problem or a mineral problem. I'm betting bull. Dont cull the cows. Replace the bull.
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking I’m gonna have to do more then likely I’ll see in a another week or so

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:50 am

Not uncommon for a single animal trucked somewhere and they get spaced out.
Haul with a cow like suggested. And I agree, the SMELL of a vets clinic can mess them up. Best if vet comes to the bull.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."