Crazy cow finally gone

The place to start if you are new!
farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Re: Crazy cow finally gone

Post by farmerjan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:13 pm

They can hurt you. Have found over the years to try to load in a group with others going to the sale. Even took one nut and one good cow to the sale and had them load the good one back on the trailer after they got them separate to weigh. We will put a crazy one like that in the barn lot where the fences are high, to keep them in til sale day.
I don't have the ability to run fast enough to get away from one now, and it is just not worth the nutty ones taking some out the gate with them every time they go either.

Neighbor had a bull that they couldn't keep in the catch pen long enough to get the trailer up there to load. He wouldn't go anywhere near the pen if he saw the trailer. Finally his hormones got the better of him and he couldn't keep his nose away from a cow in heat. Loaded them both on the trailer, took to town, got the bull weighed in and loaded the poor tired cow back in the trailer and took her home. His calves were not crazy, he really wasn't either... just decided that he wouldn't stay in the catch pen. Was glad to see him gone though.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:17 pm

If you have a crazy one and need some meat.... get someone that is a crack shot, and shoot it out in the field quietly grazing. Don't let the adrenaline get going in their system as it will make the meat tough. If they are dropped on the spot, with no inkling they are going to be "messed with", the meat is often not so bad. If it is an older cow, just make it into stew and burger.... or find a place that makes things like bologna and hot dogs and such.... jerky..... but you got to get them UNAWARES so there is no adrenaline running through their system.

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Ky cowboy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:13 pm

I've had her head in the cross hairs several times. The other day was her last chance to go to the sale barn. If it hadn't of worked out I was going to use her for coyote bait

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:50 pm

Glad you got her gone and weren’t hurt seriously, although what you described seems real serious.

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:18 pm

Glad she's gone, hope you're alright. When I bought this foundation herd, had a couple try to climb the facilities while working/pregging, a couple were probably good cows, but I passed.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Ky cowboy » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:47 pm

$283 should of just shot her

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:34 am

Ky cowboy wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:47 pm
$283 should of just shot her
They probably think they got a bargain until they try to move her! But that is really crap money, i sold two old cows the other day and got $950 and $1100 for them.