Purina Wind and Rain Mineral

Cattle problems.
dt34715
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Purina Wind and Rain Mineral

Post by dt34715 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:02 pm

I presently feed our local Co-op mineral and thinking about going to the wind and rain from Purina. The cost is more and I’m curious if my cattle will benefit from changing.

Any thoughts on this?

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Re: Purina Wind and Rain Mineral

Post by elkwc » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:21 pm

I have fed it and I feel it is good. O feel there are several very comparable. Price is why I switched to Vita Ferm.

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:25 pm

I think it is good mineral, but very expensive here.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:06 pm

I’ve probably fed every mineral on the market. I can’t tell a difference in one over the other. My father never fed mineral. Said muddy pond water was full of minerals. He may have been right.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 5S Cattle » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:48 pm

elkwc wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:21 pm
I have fed it and I feel it is good. O feel there are several very comparable. Price is why I switched to Vita Ferm.
1st and last bag of vitaferm I fed here cost $15 more than wind and rain. Funny how location affects price so much

ValleyView
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by ValleyView » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:42 pm

Wind and rain (Medicated) with CTC’s requires a VFD or Veterinary Feed Directive aka prescription. Not sure if this unique to Oklahoma or the entire USA. I fed it all last year until my prescription ran out and saw far fewer ticks as well as flies this year opposed to last. When the flies got real bad late summer I did need to spray with peremthrin 10 and hydraulic oil a few times. Never had a case of pink eye which was rampant in my neck of the woods last year due to abundant moisture.

In previous years, ticks absolutely hammered my cows particularly their ears which lead to me implementing the Anaplas vaccine. However, my vet won’t vaccinate for anaplas if the cows are less than 2yrs. Since anaplas vac requires 2 shots 6 weeks apart and a booster thereafter yearly I am happy to just continue to feed medicated mineral instead of repeated gathering and working other than fall and spring works as necessary. Especially since Medicated Wind and Rain doesn’t have a withdraw period. Don’t love the idea of feeding it all summer but is a necessary evil in my humble opinion.
First generation Cow Calf producer.

Easier to learn when you don’t know much!

VVCC

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by WinterSpringsFarm » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:19 am

I used to use Wind and Rain in the summer and Vitaferm right before calving through breeding. The W and R was almost the same price at the Vitaferm. I have since switched to using Vitaferm all year long and noticed a much better 1st time conception rate on AI and ET.

Banjo
GURU
GURU

Post by Banjo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:56 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:06 pm
I’ve probably fed every mineral on the market. I can’t tell a difference in one over the other. My father never fed mineral. Said muddy pond water was full of minerals. He may have been right.
My dad would go out once a week with a bag of Mag-o-min...Southern States coop hi mag mineral.....and pour it out in a half a dozen spots or so and let em lick off the ground. most of the time maybe a half bag at a time. Cows thought they were getting a treat. Probably did just as well as having it in front of them all the time.
I know mineral is one of my biggest expenses.
If you have a lot of clover in your pasture your mineral content will be higher.

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

slick4591
Mentor
Mentor

Post by slick4591 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:19 pm

5S Cattle wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:48 pm
elkwc wrote:
1st and last bag of vitaferm I fed here cost $15 more than wind and rain. Funny how location affects price so much
Year before last I couldn't find my usual Vitaferm so I bought Wind & Rain. Wasted the entire bag because my cows wouldn't touch it. Tried another brand and they wouldn't touch that either. Finally the Vitaferm showed back up and they went thru a couple bags in about three months. I try to never run out these days.
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:34 pm

Vitaferm ConceptAid is little more than old fashion run of the mill mineral made up primarily of oxides with a few sulfates added in for window dressing BUT has the addition of Amaferm which is an additive made by Biozyme Corporation. I love Amaferm in feeds at recommended levels but never could justify $40 a bag for mineral with it. I do use Purina All Season with Availa-4. 100% of the zinc, manganese, copper and cobalt are organic chelates.
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

chaded
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by chaded » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:57 pm

I was using the purina wind and rain but had availability issues but I found a local place that sells Vitaferm concept aid and heat and it’s the same price as the purina so that’s what I use now. My cows won’t turn their noses up to either one.

5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 5S Cattle » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:50 pm

slick4591 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:19 pm
5S Cattle wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:48 pm
elkwc wrote:
Year before last I couldn't find my usual Vitaferm so I bought Wind & Rain. Wasted the entire bag because my cows wouldn't touch it. Tried another brand and they wouldn't touch that either. Finally the Vitaferm showed back up and they went thru a couple bags in about three months. I try to never run out these days.
My cows will barely eat the 12:12 w&r but eat the 7.5 pretty good

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Post by pricefarm » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:44 pm

I feed it 17$ a bag here. I feed the hi-mag in the spring. The cows eat both pretty consistent. I was feeding SS brand mineral but my cows wouldn’t touch there hi-mag mineral.

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Post by elkwc » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:45 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:34 pm
Vitaferm ConceptAid is little more than old fashion run of the mill mineral made up primarily of oxides with a few sulfates added in for window dressing BUT has the addition of Amaferm which is an additive made by Biozyme Corporation. I love Amaferm in feeds at recommended levels but never could justify $40 a bag for mineral with it. I do use Purina All Season with Availa-4. 100% of the zinc, manganese, copper and cobalt are organic chelates.
Depending on which Vita Ferm product I use I pay 26-32 dollars a bag. I pay $30.00 a bag for Concept Aid Hi Mag. Can't find anything comparable for the price.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:31 pm

I've used the Purina product a number of years now with good results and normal consumption. Am able to get a small discount by helping the local dealer with his cows when needed.
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb