Ivomec or merial ?? Suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmerCop

Reaction score
Anyone know if you can worm your dogs with ivomec or merial or is there something else you might recommend for the do it yourselfer that would have the results these two do? any help is appreciated . :)

Yes but you must be carefull. Probly should go get some wormer from your vet to be on the safe side. But if you must. How big is the dog? If it is bigger than 50 lbs. go with 1cc ivomec with 9 of water. Then take 3 of it and drench. It must be in the mouth. I still suggest going to the vet.

Scotty

If it is dangerous I won't do it but I am just trying to figure out a method that could work for me instead of against me, If there are other methods other than going to the vet I would prefer them, but if necassary I will go to the vet.

dog is about 35 -40 lbs i guess

FarmerCop":23y0xay2 said:
If it is dangerous I won't do it but I am just trying to figure out a method that could work for me instead of against me, If there are other methods other than going to the vet I would prefer them, but if necassary I will go to the vet.

dog is about 35 -40 lbs i guess
Get some Nemex, or Strongid Dog wormer. Happy Jack makes some good stuff too.A lot of Coon Hunters around here use Ivermectin on their Dogs. Got to be real careful.

thanks not to sound dumb but thats two telling me to be careful what are the results of not being careful, I guess messing up the dose or whatnot, really not trying to be a jerk just curious as what to expect as far as negative reactions I suppose death is one of them?

FarmerCop":ztbqg5gf said:
thanks not to sound dumb but thats two telling me to be careful what are the results of not being careful, I guess messing up the dose or whatnot, really not trying to be a jerk just curious as what to expect as far as negative reactions
I've heard several say you can sterilize a female, to killing it. I've seen a dog given a whole tube of horse wormer, and nothing happen to it, but I would not risk hurting my Dog. Stick with a good Dog wormer.

FarmerCop":1msvi6vk said:
thanks not to sound dumb but thats two telling me to be careful what are the results of not being careful, I guess messing up the dose or whatnot, really not trying to be a jerk just curious as what to expect as far as negative reactions I suppose death is one of them?

Yes, If you give to much it could kill a dog. I would stick with a dog wormer. You can get good stuff from your vet or the stuff from a pet store.

Ivomec can be used on dogs but only if you're sure they're NEGATIVE FOR HEARTWORMS.

FarmerCop":14yvi0sx said:

herding dogs such as collies and shelties will die
others can also die, or become comatose and cost you a LOT of money to keep alive to recovery.
For Pete's sake, do it properly and don't use it!!

Vicky the vet said:
herding dogs such as collies and shelties will die
others can also die, /
Sounds like a good option to me. Now if it would have the same effect on horses...you would have a perfect treatment.

okie dokie ladies and gents I got it, if I wasn't gonna do it right believe me I would have just done it and not asked you fine folks, believe me an ounce of prevention works as I said I was trying to save a dime not spend em all, but the vet or the feed store is where I will go for the RIGHT formula, and believe me I wouldn't wish harm on my dog shes the best thing ever!

thanks so much for the replies and the advice :cboy:

txag":148fswnc said:
Ivomec can be used on dogs but only if you're sure they're NEGATIVE FOR HEARTWORMS.

thats the same thing i have always heard too txag.. i know of some that have given it to their hunting dogs, but i dont know the dosage. i always thought they were using it instead of a heart wormer because of the number of dogs they had and the price of the heart wormer medicene.

sounds like it is something they might not oughta be doing.. :roll:

jt

I've never wormed my dogs with ivomec, but I have used the injectable ivomec to get rid of ear mites in their ears. Just about 1/2 cc in each ear. That's what my vet uses also.

There was a discussion on using Ivomec for dogs on this other forum I frequent. I don't recall the exact dosage, but it's VERY small - like 2/10ths of a cc for a Lab.

Someone's vet had them giving 2cc's...dog was losing his vision and had a whole host of other side effects...sounded like a regular mess.

I generally worm with Strongid C.

Off lable use of Ivomec is prohibited by law. So, it is illegal to use on dogs. Not labled for them. Who cares right? With all the research and money spent to create dog specific wormers why risk it.

Scotty

Latest posts