Tuli Cattle

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
Scotty
GURU
GURU

Tuli Cattle

Post by Scotty » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:21 pm

Any one ever seen Tuli cattle. Whole heard dispersal sale coming up.

Scotty

TSCRA Member
AAA Member

andybob
GURU
GURU

tuli cattle

Post by andybob » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:23 pm

I have bred tuli cattle in zimbabwe/rhodesia and later in namibia. These medium framed cattle are famed for their heat tolerance, fertility,mothering ability and exeptional resistance to tick bourne diseases. The fact that they produce a carcase of equal quality to angus beef is an added bonus. I used the tuli in a low cost grass finished system for an export contract.The tuli is a docile breed, and a pleasure to work with,they also cross well with other breeds, with a strong heterosis displayed in both bos taurus and bos indicus breeds.

houstoncutter
GURU
GURU

Post by houstoncutter » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:46 pm

What little I have seen or read, has not been good. RA Brown ranch tried the senepol for a few years and they dropped the breed. If those folks couldnt make it work, I know I couldnt

andybob
GURU
GURU

tuli cattle

Post by andybob » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:09 pm

The senepol is a totaly different genotype to the tuli which is pure southern african Sanga type,as opposed to the north african Bos Indicus cross Red Poll [Bos Taurus] ancestry of the Senapol.

Brandonm2
GURU
GURU

Post by Brandonm2 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:27 pm

I bought some registered Senepol cows. They are Red Poll crossed to the Ndamas (an African Bos taurus breed). That was the argument behind those cattle....that they were heat tolerant Bos taurus so you wouldn't get the Bos indicus dock at the sale barns.

denoginnizer
GURU
GURU

Post by denoginnizer » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:21 pm

Brandonm2 wrote:I bought some registered Senepol cows. They are Red Poll crossed to the Ndamas (an African Bos taurus breed). That was the argument behind those cattle....that they were heat tolerant Bos taurus so you wouldn't get the Bos indicus dock at the sale barns.

How did they work out?

Dad at the Ranch
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: tuli cattle

Post by Dad at the Ranch » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:28 am

Andybob wrote:The senepol is a totaly different genotype to the tuli which is pure southern african Sanga type,as opposed to the north african Bos Indicus cross Red Poll [Bos Taurus] ancestry of the Senapol.

Andybob, you are 100% correct the Tuli Breed is most likely the best keep secret in the beef industry today! The southern Universitys have mountains of research on the Tuli cross, Texas A&M, etc. Also the USDA research station at Clay Center, Neb. I might add one more trait, I have NEVER seen a bad udder on a Fullblood or a crossbred, never! Even on the Tuli x Brahman cross.

Arnold Ziffle
GURU
GURU

Post by Arnold Ziffle » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:35 am

Andybob or dad at the ranch: do either of you know anything about the results to date for the Briggs Genetics folks (in Texas) that were experimenting with the Tuli-Wagyu cross?

J
Rancher
Rancher

Post by J » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:50 am

Arnold Ziffle wrote:Andybob or dad at the ranch: do either of you know anything about the results to date for the Briggs Genetics folks (in Texas) that were experimenting with the Tuli-Wagyu cross?

That was along my line of thinking AZ? Not necessarily the genetics folks but when I saw this about the best kept secret in the beef industry, the Wagyu immediately came to mind.
“There are people who know the cost of everything but the value of nothing”.

Dad at the Ranch
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Dad at the Ranch » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:00 pm

Arnold Ziffle wrote:Andybob or dad at the ranch: do either of you know anything about the results to date for the Briggs Genetics folks (in Texas) that were experimenting with the Tuli-Wagyu cross?

The Waguli beef " Tuli x Wagyu " is very very consistent, in tenderness and obviously is heavily marbled. Last cattle slaughtered, about 75% were Prime and the balance were ALL High Choice.

andybob
GURU
GURU

tuli

Post by andybob » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:18 pm

I have no personal experience with wagyu, but read some impressive reports about them. During my Tuli bull selling in three southern african countries I have seen most of the more popular beef breeds crossed to Tuli under a wide variety of climatic and management conditions. We need to consider that the origional genotype was selected from cattle evolved in the most severe climatic and disease regeon in southern africa. Futhermore Len Harvey,the founder,was breeding bulls to improve the local native herds kept under very primitive conditions,it took quite a number of years before we commercial ranchers could get our sticky fingers on some surplus stock.

MikeC
Honcho
Honcho

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:41 pm

Dad at the Ranch wrote:

The Waguli beef " Tuli x Wagyu " is very very consistent, in tenderness and obviously is heavily marbled. Last cattle slaughtered, about 75% were Prime and the balance were ALL High Choice.

How about "Cost of Gain", "Yield Grades", disposition, among others?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Dad at the Ranch
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Dad at the Ranch » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:28 am

J wrote:

That was along my line of thinking AZ? Not necessarily the genetics folks but when I saw this about the best kept secret in the beef industry, the Wagyu immediately came to mind.

J, Your are correct there are some Tuli breeders in AZ, along with several in the southern states, Texas the largest. We were sending Pot loads of bulls into Mexico until they closed the border. The main reason they wanted the genetics was, as you most likely know, they need maternal help with the cow herds down there and with the Tuli F1 you get those traits on the first cross. You don't have to breed 3/4, 7/8, 15/16 to get the traits you are looking for, you get them on the F1.
Again you are correct the Wagyu is not a popular name tossed around but a few people have heard of Kobe beef.

Dad at the Ranch
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Dad at the Ranch » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:16 am

MikeC wrote:
Dad at the Ranch wrote:

How about "Cost of Gain", "Yield Grades", disposition, among others?

You know Mike, you must have some teacher in you. You always ask great questions, have common since advice and bring up great topics. Only my observation! Ok, "Cost of Gain" I have not figured that yet but I will. They All were Y/G 1's & 2's, not even a 3. I know hard to believe! " disposition " They are very gentle and easy to work with. Great mother in harsh conditions.

Dad at the Ranch
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Dad at the Ranch » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:24 am

Dad at the Ranch wrote:
J wrote:

J, Your are correct there are some Tuli breeders in AZ, along with several in the southern states, Texas the largest. We were sending Pot loads of bulls into Mexico until they closed the border. The main reason they wanted the genetics was, as you most likely know, they need maternal help with the cow herds down there and with the Tuli F1 you get those traits on the first cross. You don't have to breed 3/4, 7/8, 15/16 to get the traits you are looking for, you get them on the F1.
Again you are correct the Wagyu is not a popular name tossed around but a few people have heard of Kobe beef.

J, Sorry I was thinking you meant Arizona my Lovely wife just pointed out that you most likely meant Arnold Ziffle. " My Bad " :oops: