pics of cow problems and other stuff -- for the newbies

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
Thought since a picture is worth a thousand words, maybe we need a collection of pics for the newbies. :)

If anyone else has any good photos of pics that you want to share -- and you know what the problem is -- feel free to post. (Or, if you'll PM/email them to me, I'll put them in this post under a catagory.) Don't post pics that you don't know what's wrong; I don't want this turning into a "diagnose my cow" thread; this is simply for information purposes only.

If you want to use any of these pictures for information purposes, please PM me for permission first. I've had several of these pictures show up in various powerpoint presentations for classes I've taken in undergrad and graduate school - you know who you are!

Thanks!

First!!! -- Cow Parts
cowparts_dairy.jpg

Leg Problems

Hoof rot or foot rot - bacterial infection between the claws, causes swelling above the hoof that can extend to the hock
hoofrot1_zps69ff5667.jpg

footrot_zpsb8a9e6e4.jpg

Contracted tendons in a calf - can be genetic or simply caused by lack of room in utero; most cases straighten out on their own within a week or so.
contractedtendons_zpsa00499f7.jpg

"Corn" between the claws of a bull's hoof - can be caused by high grain rations
corn_zpsb65f1ac7.jpg

Udder Problems

Cow with only 3 working quarters (L/F is "dead") - caused by mastitis
udder3qrtr_1_zps156fb877.jpg

Edema (excess fluid/swelling along the underline) in a heifer prior to calving - common in heavy milkers, it'll go away on its own
edema_zps70febd07.jpg

Another example in a heifer
12profile6808.jpg

Ligament in the udder is ruptured - these kind will occasionally be passed off as nurse cows; don't buy one like this
udder_rupturedsuspensoryligament_zps5531b712.jpg

Another example
udder_rupturedligament.jpg

Another poor udder; almost no milk production from the front quarters, she also has an extra teat on one of the back quarters
udder_poorquality_zpsb75948c0.jpg

Mastitis - infection within one of the quarters in the udder - needs to be treated or the cow needs to be culled; this is what mastitis looks like when the quarter is "stripped" or "milked out"
mastitis_zps20b211da.jpg

Frostbitten teats - will often result in mastitis since the teat ends have been damaged, most common in fresh heifers
frostbittenteats.jpg

Gangrene, likely as a result of clostridial or E. coli mastitis - prognosis is poor
mastitis_gangrene_zps8376503d.jpg

Calving problems

Backwards calf - DOA
1fe3237c.jpg

Retained placenta
retainedplacenta_zpsc8178b20.jpg

Hydrops -- caused by excessive amounts of fluid in the uterus -- in this case resulted in rupture of the prepubic tendon; note left flank
ruptured_abdominal_wall2_2wks.jpg

ruptured_abdominal_wall3_2wks.jpg

Vaginal prolapse
prolapse_vaginal2_zps411a29bb.jpg

Another example - no, she's not calving
ixranch034_zpsce4a8874.jpg

Bull problems

"Broke" penis... the technical term is "penile hematoma"... caused by trauma.
brokebull2_zpsb9396ee4.jpg

Another one - both of these bulls recovered with 60 days rest and passed a BSE.
brokebull_zps9e99608f.jpg

General bovine problems

Ringworm - it's a very contagious fungus that people, horses, dogs, cats, etc, can catch too
ringwormI.jpg

Warts - often seen on the ears, neck, and face, but sometimes other locations on the animal as well. Usually introduced during tattoo/tagging (note warts in ear with bangs tag/tattoo).
wartsI_zps7444fe7f.jpg

Warts in other locations:
warts_zps6b193008.jpg

Knock knees - conformation flaw
knockknees_zps9912e905.jpg

Abcess - superficial bacterial infection not in the bone
abcess1_zps69d48a08.jpg

another abcess
7-5-08066.jpg

Lumpy Jaw (actinomycosis) - bacterial infection in the bone - this is a really extreme case
lumpyjawI_zps0a32f42b.jpg

Early case of lumpy jaw:
12-30-08004.jpg

Cellulitis, inflammation of soft tissue
7-25-08001.jpg

Wry face - believe it's genetic, conformation flaw
wryface_zps65900fd4.jpg

Cancer eye
cancereye.jpg

Bottle jaw - excess fluid or swelling under the jaw - can be caused by a heavy parasite infection
Picture2605.jpg

BVD lesions in the mouth -- note they may or may not look like this; any oral lesions should be suspect
BVDlesionsII.jpg

BVDlesionsI.jpg

IBR white plaque on the underside of the tongue -- note IBR usually causes blindness and that's a typical sign
IBRwhiteplaque.jpg

Blindness as a result of pinkeye
blindeye.jpg

pinkeye.jpg

Infected band on a bull-now-steer calf -- good reason to give tetanus toxoid when castrating calves. However, this isn't too abnormal to see as the dead tissue separates, and shouldn't affect the health of the calf.
infectedband1.jpg

Hernia - can be genetic or caused by trauma - surgery fixed this one. Note the difference between this one and the braham calf below.
8-9-08005.jpg

Weanling calf with a hernia
hernia3_zps36b0b529.jpg

Mature cow with a hernia...
hernia2_zpsb5310fec.jpg

Ventral edema/Brisket disease/High altitude disease/Hardware disease/Congestive heart failure (impossible to say from a picture)
brisket.jpg

Another example:
cowbrisketprobs005.jpg

Mature cow with hematoma on her back - don't lance this! the only difference between a hematoma and an abscess is a needle/knife...
summer2012049.jpg

Heifer with a stifle injury (eg ACL tear) -- please note this is an injury, not an infection, even though it looks like the calf below with a joint infection. Culture results revealed the difference.
7-11-08002.jpg

7-11-08004.jpg

DA (displaced abomasum) surgery site - can't show you a pic of a DA itself, so the surgery site will have to do. Caused by a cow going off feed and the abomasum filling with gas and flipping to the other side of the rumen. Fresh cows are particularly suceptible. RDAs can be fatal within 12 hours, LDAs can persist for 2-3 weeks or more before the cow dies if surgery is not performed.
DAsurgerysite_zpsff88f622.jpg

Johnes - results in rapid weight loss and extreme emaciation even while the animal eats and acts normally. No cure and highly contagious to calves, symptoms usually don't appear until the animal is at least 2-3 years old.
Guernsey_rear-lg.jpg

Specific calf problems

Joint ill - infection in a joint in calves; for this one it's the stifle joint
jointill_stifle_zps441bd1f9.jpg

Note there is a BIG difference between this calf and the stifle injury pictured up the page!!!

This calf's joint infection is in the knee
jointill_knee2_zps849b595e.jpg

Navel ill - this is much larger than you'll normally see - caused by not dipping the calf's navel in iodine after birth or being born in an unclean environment
navel_infected.jpg

Crooked calf - possibly caused by the cow eating lupine while he was in utero. He physically cannot straighten his neck.
IM000436.jpg

Open umbilical hernia - these can be fixed if they're caught immediately (eg not allowed to get dirty) - this calf was euthanized immediately after the picture was taken.
herniaopen2_zps140db9a7.jpg

Dexter calf with fused teats - this is said to be genetic and the heifer would not be replacement heifer material
fusedteats_zpsc87ab815.jpg

Scours
scours.jpg

Dehydration -- the result of scours -- this calf is SEVERELY dehydrated. Generally dehydration isn't obvious until the animal has lost 6% of its body weight in water, and kidney damage occurs around 12% fluid loss.
dehydratedcalf.jpg

Oral lump possibly "calf diphtheria" - not confirmed.
6-12-2008012.jpg

Calf with extra digits (front hooves)
calfwithextradigits_zps0743b828.jpg

Other bovine stuff that isn't a problem

"Bleed-off" - occurs 2-3 days after a cow is in standing heat
bleedoff_zps22825519.jpg

"Bangs" tag - shows the cow has been vaccinated for brucellosis; there should also be a tattoo in the right ear
bangstag_zpsd914a3e4.jpg

"Bangs" tattoo
bangstattoo-1_zps56746fd0.jpg

Vaccine lump - will disappear in time.
herefordvacclumpknersie_zpscd8bf9d1.jpg

Braham-influenced calf - normal amount of skin at navel area. Note the difference between this and the hernia pic above
navel_normal2_zps770d03ff.jpg

If anyone has pics of other problems, common or not-so-common, feel free to send them to me and I'll put them in this post.

Autopsy pictures are here: http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=48528

Last updated: 1/29/2013

funky 4-Her":2cspv8xa said:
Edema (excess fluid/swelling along the underline) in a heifer prior to calving - common in heavy milkers, it'll go away on its own

Do you mean the swelling infront of the udder?

Yep. Depending on the cow (it's more extreme in dairy breeds than beef breeds, of course) it can be just right in front of the udder, or extend even in front of the navel.

What a great idea. I have a feeling these pictures will be used time and time again on these boards.

So...................when will you be published? Are you going to be the new and improved Heather Smith Thomas? :)

I'll add to the great post crowd! This is one of those great educational post! Thanks for taking the time.

Alan

Milkmaid I would like to know how you got that picture of joint ill as the calf looks just like the calf I've been writing about in calf w/problems.

toby":187cq0hu said:
Milkmaid I would like to know how you got that picture of joint ill as the calf looks just like the calf I've been writing about in calf w/problems.

Calf that was given to me. Ended up having to call it quits with her. Most of the pics are of my herd, some are from the dairy herd where I worked, some are from a relative's ranch.

Now, this is probably the most helpful thing I've seen on these boards. Dedication, time, effort, {no charge}. You should be most valuable {employee of the week/month} with no pay for what you are doing. I thank you for anyone who gets anything from this. Many questions will be answered from your effort with this post. Great work. Thanks.

tryinhard

Great post Milkmaid. That is a wonderful thing to do. I know your many hours of time and trouble will help some of us.Thanks !

Good idear MilkMaid. i looked thru my pics, i dont really have any useful ones to add i dont think.

Calf with a knot on its side:

CALFKNOT480x360.jpg

I posted this on this forum a couple of years ago to ask what it was. Nobody seemed to know for sure.

I replied I would check on it again when I got back from a weekend trip, and some joker replied that people like me shouldn't be allowed to own animals!! Obviously he thought I should have immediately called the vet.

Yeah, right, spend 100 bucks for the vet to come out and tell me just to watch it and call if it gets worse.

btw, it never went away and it never bothered her, but when I sold her the price got docked about .15 per lb.

When you talk about the hernia, are you talking about the navel area. I have two cows that have navels just like that. Is that a bad thing?

Latest posts